[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion thread

kacperrutka26

I remember HarvesteR stating in his post that 0.17 was about lots of small features, but planets....

Those are certainly not small features! Great job KSP Devs!

...Just assign them (allow them to be assigned) negative drag coefficients and it will work just fine. It will give you a similar result with less complexity.

It's not that easy. I think it wouldnt take long before people found a way to put enough nosecones to make whole ship's drag coefficient negative.

It's not that easy. I think it wouldnt take long before people found a way to put enough nosecones to make whole ship's drag coefficient negative.

No, what it would do is make it so that with enough nosecone parts one could make a ship "fly" indefinitely without any engines in an atmosphere. However, in terms of the effect that a real nose cone would have, the effect of using a negative drag coefficient would be to reduce the drag of the ship as a whole, thereby creating the intended effect without having to rely on the complexities of actually simulating all the possible drag models of every part.

While the planets will be great and really expand the game the part I'm looking forward to is this "Center of mass, thrust, lift and drag visual cues on the construction scenes" now my space-planes won't blow up (well not as often)

Applying a negative value to nosecones works for now so long as you aren't into exploiting your mods. It's certainly not something that should be put in officially though as it's very hacky.

A proper* drag model for tubes would be fairly easy to implement in such a way that nosecones would work. I guess it's not really a priority though. Non-tubes becomes a lot trickier.

*Of course it depends on quite what you define as "proper".

A moon within a larger moon's SOI... sounds interesting.

It's like... Moonception. *sunglasses*

Why do people keep making those "verb within a verb, verbception" jokes?

Get a dictionary.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inception

Origin:

1375–1425; late Middle English incepcion < Latin inceptiÃ…Ân- (stem of inceptiÃ…Â ), equivalent to incept ( us ) begun ( see incept) + -iÃ…Ân- -ion

Synonyms

1. origin, outset, source, root, conception.

in·cep·tion

   [in-sep-shuhn] Show IPA

noun

beginning; start; commencement.

British .

a.

the act of graduating or earning a university degree, usually a master's or doctor's degree, especially at Cambridge University.

b.

the graduation ceremony; commencement.

(in science fiction) the act of instilling an idea into someone's mind by entering his or her dreams.

See, number 3 is from the movie and does not actually have anything whatsoever to do with what the word actually means.

Sigh.

Ontopic-swing: If i launch a Märs lander from Kerbin, that is an inception of the Märs project. If i put a kerbal within a kerbal, that's not inception, that's conception.

Just a question in the future will planets have modding support meaning we could have a planet folder like parts where we could download other peoples planets that they custom made and install them. I believe this could lead to infinite possibilities

Also that moon of the Green planet is probably Egar from Novas Guide to the Kerbol system it is the 2nd largest moon of Meander (Green Planet) that consist of half ice wastelands and desert with large ice caps

Edited by aceassasin

I was just going to ask whether the blue moon was in fact a planet, then I saw the second picture... Hooray for 4 moons around the planet!

It looks like the 3 inner moons have a 0° inclination, and the 4th one has an inclination at least that of Minmus, right?

Yeah for updates.

Nova, what about that gas giant?

Will the texture remain constant or will the giant have observable changes in the atmosphere?

Giving the sense that there is atmospheric changes an currents at work.

That moon also looks cool, a little like Minimus in colour but seems to be much bigger an with some nice moutain ranges.

Please give us more pictures.

How come I'm not allowed to see the links Nova posted? Do I need a secret handshake or something? =p

This is the error I´m getting when trying to access http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/album.php?albumid=5&attachmentid=31031

"handelin, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

Anyway, looking forward to the new planets =)

How come I'm not allowed to see the links Nova posted? Do I need a secret handshake or something? =p

This is the error I´m getting when trying to access http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/album.php?albumid=5&attachmentid=31031

"handelin, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

Anyway, looking forward to the new planets =)

Yeah, I am having the same trouble. I was writing a post about this at the forum forum when I saw your post.

For the people who 'do not have permission' to view the links Nova posted, you all have one thing in common: a low amount of posts. It looks like you might need more to access them. Whether that's only 5 or perhaps 10 posts I don't know (if someone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it) (Edit: Thanks Ghery88! You need the rank "Bottle Rocketeer" which is 5 posts), but please don't create any pointless posts just so you can view them.

Edited by The-Bean

New celestial objects revealed so far:

-Red planet with 1 moon (total 2)

-Purple planet (total 1)

-Green planet with 4 moons (total 5)

That will bring the total amount of celestial objects after succesfull implementation in 0.17 to 12 (sun included) ... !