[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion thread

kacperrutka26

Not that I am aware of jonny but I'll ask the team, though if I remember correctly the code is deliberately un-optimized so that it is easy to alter, for adding features and bug fixing.

The major optimizations are unlikely to take place until nearer the 1.0 release, as the code will be frozen and the developers can then concentrate on speed and remaining bugs.

Edited by sal_vager

Not that I am aware of jonny but I'll ask the team, though if I remember correctly the code is deliberately un-optimized so that it is easy to alter, for adding features and bug fixing.

The major optimizations are unlikely to take place until nearer the 1.0 release, as the code will be frozen and the developers can then concentrate on speed and remaining bugs.

Ah this is good to hear, my laptop can really struggle sometimes. Granted its a laptop but still :P

PS. I've spoken to a few with gaming pc rigs who have mentioned significant slowdowns as well.

The slowdown isn't that bad really.

Optimization is always nice, don't get me wrong, but fr an alpha build of such a complex game...it runs pretty nicely.

You know what would be interesting, if incredibly implausible? A setting in the options to launch in the solar system as opposed to the Kerbol system, all moons, asteroids, planets, etc. intact, scaled down of course.

Better, I think, would be to open this up to modders, and let them create models of our solar system, twists on the Kerbol system, or new fantastical systems of their own creation, any of which could be swapped in to take the place of the default system.

Or, better still (though we're probably getting into advanced fantasy here): create a whole galactic structure full of slots where new systems could be inserted--possibly all occupied with generic/random/placeholder default systems at first--any or all of which could be swapped out for custom systems. Then, when creating each new user/save file, allow the user to select a "home" system other than Kerbol if desired. This could be implemented before (or in the permanent absence of) interstellar travel; but it would become extra-awesome once (if?) that were added.

Edited by KevinTMC

Celestial objects revealed so far:

1: Red planet

2: Moon of red planet

3: Purple planet

4: Green planet

That would make a total of 7 celestial objects (8 if sun included) when succesfull implemented in 0.17

I like that idea.....

I really think that all 17.0 needs is in ship view, CG. markers (for spaceplanes) and MORE PLANETS!!!!!!

What would be funny is if in .17 they released a docking capsule part, like a thing you could put on your space ship, and then they don't add any function to it right now. (No way to actually dock with it.)

Ultimate Troll

Docking is not slated for the 0.17 release, maybe 0.18 :)

That is the point. It would be a part that would be useless until it has functionality implemented. (at least that was the point he made)

I doubt they will implement any parts that dont have a function in game though. That would not make much sense.

Has there been any discussion of more optimization for KSP in .17? Something i've noticed is with the new parts i've started dealing with larger fuel numbers and larger ships. It seems that full fill tanks REALLY slow the performance of KSP. While a normal ship from .16 seems to perform much better in .17. The larger ships seem to give even slower FPS performance. I'm wondering how the new moons and all will effect this. I really hope to see a lot of optimization. I'm finding playing the game is becoming more difficult for me when the performance is so cruddy.

PS. I've spoken to a few with gaming pc rigs who have mentioned significant slowdowns as well. I however am on a macbook pro which im aware is far from a gaming rig. But still if gaming pcs are having slowdowns its just me. My love of ksp runs deep enough that i'd considered building a rig just to play it. But after hearing others inputs i dont think id be happy with the performance gains.

My laptop only really slows down when I have a large number of parts, or when the camera is pointing at Kerbin. However some optimization would be cool, but planets should come first!

I doubt they will implement any parts that dont have a function in game though. That would not make much sense.

I'm fairly sure nose-cones and air intakes fit into this category at the moment.

My laptop only really slows down when I have a large number of parts, or when the camera is pointing at Kerbin. However some optimization would be cool, but planets should come first!

So, wait, did .15.x slow down for you, or was it fine performance wise? The reason I ask is that .15.x was nearly unplayable on my semi-gaming computer, and .16 is smooth as silk.

What kind of laptop do you use?

@Tigga

I believe air intakes add airflow for atmospheric engines, so they aren't really useless.

They really should make the nose-cones have negative drag or something though to make them semi simulate their natural purpose.

Edited by willitstimothy

I believe you are correct sir.

Yep, I saw a post by a dev saying that the drag models weren't complete yet, so right now nose cones only add weight to your ship, they don't really reduce the drag at this point.

Yep, I saw a post by a dev saying that the drag models weren't complete yet, so right now nose cones only add weight to your ship, they don't really reduce the drag at this point.

...Just assign them (allow them to be assigned) negative drag coefficients and it will work just fine. It will give you a similar result with less complexity.

The reason I ask is that .15.x was nearly unplayable on my semi-gaming computer, and .16 is smooth as silk.

While I would not define the performance as "smooth as silk", I also noticed a sharp amelioration in performance between 0.14/0.15.x and 0.16. Less lag, and less memory used. The game is also less prone to crash.

Upon 0.16 released, the devs mentionned that some tweaks were made to increase performance, so it's not a coincidence.