WW II Planes

Sgt Doomball

Favorite World War Two Planes  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite WWII Plane? (not required)

• Vought F-4U Corsair
    • Focke-Wulf FW 190 D9
    • Lockheed P-38J Lightning
    • Messerschmitt Bf 109K
    • Mitsubishi A6M Zero
    • North American P-51D Mustang
    • Republic P-47D Thunderbolt
    • Soviet Yakovlev Yak-3
    • Supermarine MKs 24 Spitfire
    • Grumman F-4F Wildcat
    • Hawker Hurricane
    • Grumman F-6F Hellcat
    • Messerschmidt Me 109
    • Curtiss P-40 Warhawk
    • Messerschmidt Me 262
    • Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
    • Boeing B-29 Superfortress
    • C-47
    • Avro Lancaster

2009-9043.jpg

Great pic of my fave. This image looks like it was censored by the War Department, as you cannot see the machine guns barrels (or they are taped over and painted for the same reason). It's likely a F4F-4 as it has bomb shackles, and the paint scheme means it was after Wake fell, but before Midway (the meatball was removed from the roundel, and the striped rudders went away so that for the rest of the war there was no red on US planes to avoid friendly fire). I only say likely instead of certainly, because there is some chance of a field mod of a -3 to get the bomb shackles, I suppose.

EDIT: The carb intake at the cowl top is there for all F4F-4s, and very early, and late F4F-3s... the lack of that intake would mean it was a middle of the production -3, OR an FM-2, except that the exhaust stack would be visible on an FM-2, and it would never be in the paint job pictured if it was an FM-2.

13 minutes ago, Sgt Doomball said:
  Hide contents

P-47 was more heavily armed than the Corsair. The P-47 had 8 .50 caliber MGs compared to the Corsairs 4 .50 cal. MGs

The F4U had 6 .50s, not 4. Your image is I think an F4U-1C, that had 4x20mm guns.

Edited by tater

42 minutes ago, Sgt Doomball said:

No P-47 fans?

Well, you did say favorite. The P-47 was an awesome plane. My dad was a WWII vet, and he said that there were a couple of times when the greatest sound he ever heard was the sound of those Thunderbolts coming in overhead.

On 22/02/2017 at 6:49 PM, tater said:

Why not add some pretty pictures. This is an image (against overexposed clouds, hence white) of a flight of the first production Spitfire Mk1 aircraft received by No. 19 Squadron in the late 30s. My fondness for other aircraft doesn't keep me from thinking that the Spitfire is likely the prettiest aircraft ever built. (not the very first spits, the first received by that squadron in 1938)

5962333432_e79d8f1c37_o-640x358.jpg

Awwww maaaaan! And I like Bf 109 E for it's square wings! We're not in the same team! But I will admit Spitfire is really nice.

Voted Hurricane though. Mainly because I really enjoy flying it in IL-2.

On 2/22/2017 at 5:54 AM, TheKosanianMethod said:

F4U Corsair! 

Fun fact: One of Grumman's planes  (think the Wildcat) was going to be called "Tomcat", but it was felt that the name was too suggestive for the time. Thirty years later, this name was bestowed on the F-14, one of the best fighters ever flown by the US Navy. 

My second would be the P-47 Thunderbolt,  but mainly because it had another amazing plane named after it...

Too suggestive for fighter pilots!!?

These are the same people who still want to paint naked ladies on their planes...

7 hours ago, Rath said:

Too suggestive for fighter pilots!!?

These are the same people who still want to paint naked ladies on their planes...

I think that pilots should be able to paint whatever they like on their aircraft.

It is funny though, considering they had no issue with hellcat.

Navy aircraft rarely received nose art, however. This is likely because they were more apt to share aircraft around, so the pilot didn't feel as much that it was "his" plane---we all know of course that the plane really belongs to the crew chief, he just lets the pilot fly it. :D 

7 hours ago, Rath said:

Not allowing pilots to paint over thousand dollar per every 5cm2 anti-radar paint seems like a good idea to me.

If they are given paint with the same qualities, then I don't care assuming they are flying combat missions. Peacetime is different, obviously.

I'd post fave favorite nose art, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.

I came to love the Hawker Tempest V while playing CFS3, as the 20mm cannons packed a heavy punch (I don't recall if I had the damage setting turned up, but scoring a hit with just one bullet was often enough to send an enemy spiralling down). It's high speed at low altitudes made it one of the best fighters of WWII, especially for countering the V-1's and Me-262's.

d80c999f6f329428917d6de63e7bc806.png

On 2/26/2017 at 10:15 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

I came to love the Hawker Tempest V while playing CFS3, as the 20mm cannons packed a heavy punch (I don't recall if I had the damage setting turned up, but scoring a hit with just one bullet was often enough to send an enemy spiralling down). It's high speed at low altitudes made it one of the best fighters of WWII, especially for countering the V-1's and Me-262's.

d80c999f6f329428917d6de63e7bc806.png

Low and slow is the way to go.

5 hours ago, Sgt Doomball said:

Yes, but what if P-47 went up against a tempest I believe that the P-47 would win because it could take more punishment.

Such head to head matches make little sense out of a real context, IMO. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.