SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

2 minutes ago, tater said:

Same payload volume as well. The only mass-limited payloads seem to be propellant.

Yeah, unless they start shipping gold bars to the ISS, CRS payloads via Dragon are more volume-limited than mass-limited. There are few realistic CRS payloads which would be small enough to fit on Dragon yet heavy enough that Falcon 9 couldn't send them up with an ASDS recovery.

4 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

No one was on board and no was injured."

You know, in case you confused it with all of those manned Falcon 9 launches.

Not only that, but Spacex says that if it was carrying a dragon capsule, the occupants would have survived.  

1 hour ago, DAL59 said:

Not only that, but Spacex says that if it was carrying a dragon capsule, the occupants would have survived.  

Well, it WAS carrying a Dragon capsule. 

Which was lost because there was no contingency for chute deployment after an inflight RUD.

If it had been a Dragon 2 with human occupants, then the abort engines would have been fired and they would have survived anyway.

If a person had been strapped inside the Dragon 1 pressure vessel of the CRS-7 mission, and if it had been programmed to deploy chutes after an inflight RUD, then yes, the occupants likely would have survived. Though they would have thereafter died of CO2 poisoning while waiting to be freed from the floating capsule.

16 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

If a person had been strapped inside the Dragon 1 pressure vessel of the CRS-7 mission, and if it had been programmed to deploy chutes after an inflight RUD, then yes, the occupants likely would have survived. Though they would have thereafter died of CO2 poisoning while waiting to be freed from the floating capsule.

If a person had been inside because he was sent up by SpaceX, he would have adequate life support systems. If he was a stowaway, he would have to have snuck onboard the rocket and if he was an idiot and did not bring lithium hydroxide with him, he would have died.

If I were to stowaway on Dragon I would bring along some Co2 scrubbers.

1 minute ago, DAL59 said:

They could open the door...

I'm pretty sure that it would be hard to open from the inside, seeing as it was not designed that way. I'm not sure, though, with SpaceX you never know...

Just now, Ultimate Steve said:
20 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

If a person had been inside because he was sent up by SpaceX, he would have adequate life support systems. If he was a stowaway, he would have to have snuck onboard the rocket and if he was an idiot and did not bring lithium hydroxide with him, he would have died.

Guys, I meant if the payload was a dragon 2 vessel!

(Because of abort ability.)

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I'm pretty sure that it would be hard to open from the inside, seeing as it was not designed that way. I'm not sure, though, with SpaceX you never know...

Probably easy to open from inside, standard safety feature is that you should be able to open anything from inside unless its specifically designed to lock you inn as in jail cell. 
Has been lots of accidents because people has get locked in. This can happen even during assembly and testing on ground for an dragon pod. 
And yes seen this open on both sides on hatches who separates ballast tanks who would be constant filled with water on oil platforms. Every odd years you empty them out or even send down divers and you don't want to lock somebody down. 

1 hour ago, DAL59 said:

05xmCSq.jpg

I thought of that the moment I saw the ITS moon base image

636422417253955210-spx-iac17-moon-base-a

The tintin rocket has one fin more :) 
An moon suit for an dog is an priority I think. 

14 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Probably easy to open from inside, standard safety feature is that you should be able to open anything from inside unless its specifically designed to lock you inn as in jail cell. 
Has been lots of accidents because people has get locked in. This can happen even during assembly and testing on ground for an dragon pod. 

All pods have to be openable from the inside.  That's how EVAs work.  In fact, its supposed to be as quick as possible, after the apollo 1 tragedy.  

6 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

All pods have to be openable from the inside.  That's how EVAs work.  In fact, its supposed to be as quick as possible, after the apollo 1 tragedy.  

Except we're talking about Dragon 1, an unmanned capsule. Normally there would be no need for it to be quickly openable from the outside.

1 minute ago, DAL59 said:

Looks like the commercial crew program will be delayed another year... wasn't it supposed to be done by 2013?    :(

Where are you getting this? r/spacex still has CCtCap 1 listed as April 2018, with the first crewed flight in August.

Were you thinking that it would be this year? Because they've been saying Q2 2018 for a while now.

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Except we're talking about Dragon 1, an unmanned capsule. Normally there would be no need for it to be quickly openable from the outside.

No its not an exception, you want stuff to be operable from inside, this was an major issue with old refrigerators and walk in fridges.
This can even happen on ground, and again this is cultural based on long experience.
Safety rules on ranges is an perfect example its multiple layers of idiot prof rules and you still have accidents but only then they breaks multiple rules 

Edited by magnemoe