SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

9 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Is there anything official regarding the usage of BFS as a SSTO? I know SpaceX stated it could SSTO, but thats also true for the Falcon 9 first stage.

I don’t think so, at this point it’s entirely speculation based off a couple of Musk’s off-hand remarks. 

The general point (that’s often missed) is that it could, maybe, in theory, but more than likely won’t. It’s just a thought experiment. 

In other news, I’ll just leave this here... <_<

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

Are we talking about my suborbital transport thing or the BFS SSTO? Then yes, BFS 'SSTO' could use an upper stage/small kick stage.

If we are talking about the suborbital transport thing, then say every passanger masses in at about 100kg (75kg human, and 25kg luggage), 100 people weigh only 10t. If they can in theory send 10t to LEO without reuse, then they could without a doubt do 10t across the atlantic with reuse. BFS could also use the atmosphere to get an extra kick and go further.

I'm referring to using BFS as an F9 replacement.

Just now, Bill Phil said:

I'm referring to using BFS as an F9 replacement.

Well, then it would need a kick stage, or even better, it would need an improved engine. I think Elon Musk said that they could increase the chamber pressure of the raptor all the way up to 300+ MPa later on.

18 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

cargo-BFR-and-fairing-SpaceX.jpg

Speaking of the BFR 'chomper' cargo bay. Wouldn't it be better if the hinge for the door was on the nose of the ship, so they can crane down bigger payloads on the surface of a planet/moon?

51 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Speaking of the BFR 'chomper' cargo bay. Wouldn't it be better if the hinge for the door was on the nose of the ship, so they can crane down bigger payloads on the surface of a planet/moon?

hqdefault.jpg

Like this?

Edited by Wjolcz

1 minute ago, Wjolcz said:

hqdefault.jpg

Like this?

That's the crew vehicle.

Seems like for a lander, the "chomper" makes little sense as was stated above. For a lander version, a hinge near the nose, with the right tackle could in fact function as a crane to lower cargo to the surface.

12 minutes ago, NSEP said:

No, this

bfrchomper_by_zanzalur-dca9zxf.png

That does seem like it would be better, especially for some of the larger, less compressible pieces of equipment (like ISRU, fuel depots, potential tunnel boring machines, even spare rocket parts) which would inevitably need to be sent to Mars for colonization.

The only disadvantage I can think of is it makes the spaceship look less like a flying space whale. (The largest blue whales are over 60% as long as the BFS, too...)

1 minute ago, cubinator said:

The only disadvantage I can think of is it makes the spaceship look less like a flying space whale. (The largest blue whales are over 60% as long as the BFS, too...)

Also defeats the purpose of it being a chomper.

24 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

I would assume he's talking about the Dragon spacecraft, and not the other kind of dragon, but you can never be sure with this guy. So, what could this even possibly mean? It can't possibly be a wizard hat-controlled spaceship? I don't even know how to go about speculating about this...

Cyborg - living tissue and machinery as a composite entity. Sounds like they're sending living critters aboard a Dragon capsule. Although haven't they done that already?

15 minutes ago, KSK said:

Cyborg - living tissue and machinery as a composite entity. Sounds like they're sending living critters aboard a Dragon capsule. Although haven't they done that already?

What's the oxygen reclamation method on Dragon?

4 minutes ago, cubinator said:

What's the oxygen reclamation method on Dragon?

If we're talking Dragon V1, the only life support onboard is just pressurized oxygen/nitrogen, no CO2 scrubbers or anything else, just pressure. So you couldn't live very long onboard, because CO2 would build up, but for mice it doesn't happen fast and they will be alive for their journey to the ISS.

5 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

That, or he’s literally building a cyborg dragon. The flame throwers were just test articles... -_-

latest?cb=20170422095222&path-prefix=fr

So which Beam does that guard? ;) 

45 minutes ago, KSK said:

So which Beam does that guard? ;) 

The Guardians guarded the portals, not the actual beams. So it would guard the Portal of the Dragon, Way of the Falcon ;)

All things serve the Beam. And the Beam serves Elon Musk. And after a F9B5 (or a BFR) has landed a few times, it'll resemble a Dark Tower...