SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

23 hours ago, tater said:

ZF9tYXAtMS5wbmc.png

They never get any lightning, way more sonic booms ;)

id wager that people who write environmental regulations have never gone camping. if they did id wager it was at a campground and not in actual wilderness. if you can get cell reception you are not camping.

Edited by Nuke

20 minutes ago, tater said:

At some point where they decide ti decommission a cargo Dragon they should not use chutes and land it on a drone ship.

I didn’t think cargos Dragons were actually equipped with SuperDracos, but maybe the new versions are. Or they could use an end-of-life full crew Dragon for cargo. 

37 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I didn’t think cargos Dragons were actually equipped with SuperDracos, but maybe the new versions are. Or they could use an end-of-life full crew Dragon for cargo. 

Oh, that's right, I forgot they dumped them on the cargo variant.

1 hour ago, tater said:

At some point where they decide to decommission a cargo Dragon they should not use chutes and land it on a drone ship.

And then on a pad at KSC.  That would drop the price of resupply even more.

I’m also hoping that for crew backup they move from “if all chutes fail” to “thrust enough to account for any lost or tangled chutes”.  In other words the super dracos would throttle up enough to keep the velocity nominal no matter the cause

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

And then on a pad at KSC.  That would drop the price of resupply even more.

I’m also hoping that for crew backup they move from “if all chutes fail” to “thrust enough to account for any lost or tangled chutes”.  In other words the super dracos would throttle up enough to keep the velocity nominal no matter the cause

Not sure if starting up engines would bring the risk matrix lower or higher in the case of, say, 1 lost chute, when the impact velocity is not that high

Also I'm pretty sure starting up even just a pair of them would probably have enough oomph to counter all of the parachutes, since they're built to tear the capsule + full trunk away from the rocket at a pretty good clip.

Edited by cubinator