Weekly Aircraft Development Competition

3 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

The reason for the low wieght limit was to reduce size, and radar signature.

Yeah, I get that point. It's been quite some time of trial and error until I finished my design. But compared to reality, the ratio of weapon mass to plane mass including fuel is really crazy.

Anyway, it is possible. At least in KSP :cool:

4 hours ago, no_intelligence said:

So then, seems I am the first one to enter a craft for this weeks challenge. It is called the "Koeing BK-02", with "BK" standing for "Bomber Kerbini" i guess :)

It weights a total of 35.99 tonnes fully loaded with 3*FLT800 each 4.5t and 1*FLT400 2.25t tanks as bombs. Taking them out of the mass results in an empty weight of 20.24 tonnes including fuel. Yes i overran the limit by 0.24 tonnes, but if you change the large landing gear with medium ones it will result in 19.94 tonnes :P So I assume this will count.

It flies really great and can reach the desert continent at ease and even is able to fly back without dropping the bombs. If they are dropped it may even have an more increased range. Optimum speed is about 800m/s at 11,000 to 12,000 metres height. With this parametres it burns around 0.9 to 1u/s. The max speed I have not tested, just reached arount 1100m/s or so before aborted.

The craft can be found here: https://kerbalx.com/no_intelligence/Koeing-BK-02

Btw.: It is build completely with stock parts, I even haven't got any mods installed...

Here are some pictures and a short story of the flight:

Reveal hidden contents

lfgu8bwt.jpg

Just started at the KSC, made the 180° turn and now climbing.

olomn6oj.jpg

Over the ocean at cruise altitude and speed, the desert continent already in sight.

xhobs363.jpg

Performing the tur around with opened loading bay to show the bombs. It actually cost me loads of speed and altitude to turn it aorund which wasted a lot of fuel...

giwks9b8.jpg

Set course back to the KSC, climbing an regaining altitude.

yy79dt7n.jpg

Yep. That's a long way home, Jeb.

jtu8dzyr.jpg

Land in sight! Let's pray the fuel will be sufficient.

yjjdddgm.jpg

Reached the mountains again. And yay, the KSC is in sight.

bz5777sl.jpg

Last correction turn to get on a good approach.

ge3o3vym.jpg

Bombs still inside. Opened the cargo bay to reduce speed but still looks really high and fast for a landing :sealed:

a77ied2r.jpg

Half the runway behind, still very fasst. This is not going to end well, Jeb. Abort! Abort!

yedizl9q.jpg

Gone around. Oh crap. The tanks are near empty.

bmyffbf8.jpg

Dropping the bombs to loose some weight for the second try.

5cdy33r7.jpg

Yep. That looks a lot more stable.

et7v6w8b.jpg

Nearly there. You can do it, Jeb!

gdlfic2h.jpg

Uff. Done it. The baby is on the ground, let's see how much fuel is left...

kzkozbvd.jpg

Mh. Is there any fuel left? Wouldn't possibly be enough to get back to the hangar :D

Yeah, it counts. Read updated rules/requirements

2 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I never did, but I dont see why not as long as you didnt already have a design you fitted the rules around.

@no_intelligence Great plane! I know its not your first post, but welcome to the forums!

Nope, I have none that can fit it. Maybe I could modify the BAD-1...

3 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I never did, but I dont see why not as long as you didnt already have a design you fitted the rules around.

@no_intelligence Great plane! I know its not your first post, but welcome to the forums!

Thanks! Found this weekly challenge really interesting and as I'm really into planes, I needed to compete :D

And the rule changing I think is ok, because @dundun92 did not have a plane ready. But I would like to point out that mine fits them even with fuel :P

Anyway, can't wait to see your crafts. After scrolling through all the pages I believe they will be interesting :cool:

Edited by no_intelligence

oouDMk8.png

Model CA590U4 Strategic Bomber
Height 7.3 m
Width 20.5 m
Length 24.6 m
MTOW ~75,000 kg
OEW 16,358 kg
Payload ~20,000 kg
Ceiling ~16,500 m
Cruise 2,160 km/h (600 m/s) @14,000 m

Warning: Autopilot is highly recommended, CA will not be responsible for any damage/negative impact or property loss cause  by misconduct manual operation. Consequences at you own risk.

14 hours ago, no_intelligence said:

And the rule changing I think is ok, because @dundun92 did not have a plane ready. But I would like to point out that mine fits them even with fuel :P

I just noticed the rule change to "without resources".  My plane, while not posted yet, is under 20t with fuel too.

I think i'm going to use the extra weight for an antenna and a ladder and then upload it. 

Nice craft. Like where you placed the cargo bays. And it is interesting how different 2 planes can look, your StratoDorito mk2 and my Koieng BK-02, with near the exact same specs in terms of weight and speed and range.

What I am wondering about your craft: is it really stable in flight? Because I never managed do build a stable flying wing design with such small rudders... :confused:

@no_intelligence Thanks! There was no other possible positions to place the cargo bays because i wanted the aircraft to be a flying wing. :D  Agreed, it's interesting how both designs have almost the same specs but so different shapes.

Yes, i'd say it's very stable, the small surface parts around the engines are there to mask the engines exhausts... but also to keep the tail pointing in the right direction.  The mk 1 was quite unstable with the CoM and CoL very close to each other, and those made all the difference.

The most dangerous maneuver is to open the cargo bays if you are not flying in a straight line, it can end in a flat spin.  If you close them again it's relatively easy to regain control and get out of the spin.

Week 10

Safe kamikaze aircraft.

After last week's nuclear attack the evil kerbals from the other continent became mad at us (why???).  Not only did they sabotage our bomb supplies, but a spy stole our nuclear bomber too!  We must destroy it before they reverse engineer the captured prototype and use it against us.

We need a kamikaze aircraft (Gene Kerman says it's the only way) to destroy the prototype, landed in the old KSC, by crashing into it.  But we also want the pilot(s) to survive, training new pilots takes a lot of snacks and we don't want to have to memorize the names of the new guys again.

Requeriments:

Weight: Max 25 tons.

Speed:  At least match 1 (360 m/s) to avoid interception.

Range: To the old KSC.

Special rules:  The aircraft has to be piloted manually by at least a kerbal (no probe cores) & all crew must survive.

Savegame with the target in the old KSC ( for KSP 1.3 ) :  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5vMXvb3LP7FN3o1VzlQaDdMeDQ/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Ozelui
Fixed save

5 hours ago, Ozelui said:

Week 10

Safe kamikaze aircraft.

After last week's nuclear attack the evil kerbals from the other continent became mad at us (why???).  Not only did they sabotage our bomb supplies, but a spy stole our nuclear bomber too!  We must destroy it before they reverse engineer the captured prototype and use it against us.

We need a kamikaze aircraft (Gene Kerman says it's the only way) to destroy the prototype, landed in the old KSC, by crashing into it.  But we also want the pilot(s) to survive, training new pilots takes a lot of snacks and we don't want to have to memorize the names of the new guys again.

Requeriments:

Weight: Max 25 tons.

Speed:  At least match 1 (360 m/s) to avoid interception.

Range: To the old KSC.

Special rules:  The aircraft has to be piloted manually by at least a kerbal (no probe cores) & all crew must survive.

Savegame with the target in the old KSC ( for KSP 1.3 ) :   https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5vMXvb3LP7FbG11NlVoVmhGX0E

I have the KF-122. Top speed (recorded) is Mach 2.7, and it has 18 missiles. Replace these with 1000-pound bombs and you got a kamikaze craft.

On 31.7.2017 at 7:30 AM, Ozelui said:

Savegame with the target in the old KSC ( for KSP 1.3 ) :   https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5vMXvb3LP7FbG11NlVoVmhGX0E

Would've been nice if it was a mod free save... So I can't use it and I don't wanna mess aroud with mods again.

Would you eventually put up a save that is mod-free?

1 hour ago, no_intelligence said:

Would've been nice if it was a mod free save... So I can't use it and I don't wanna mess aroud with mods again.

Uhm... I modified the craft to be stock and then saved the persistent file with just that craft.  I will look into this problem as soon as i go home (i'm at work at the moment).  As a workaround, the requeriments could be changed to crash into the ground and have the crew survive?

8 hours ago, no_intelligence said:

Can you try it again?  I remade the save, removed the mods from my ksp install and it loaded correctly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5vMXvb3LP7FN3o1VzlQaDdMeDQ/view?usp=sharing

(the link has been updated in my previous post too)

Edited by Ozelui

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.