Constant updates - modders still happy?

p1t1o

I'd like to try and add something to this as an intermediate ksp player.

I came to this add-on discussion forum looking to start a thread similar to this one. The reason is because I get bit once and a while by the KSP bug, by chance I always pick times right after a major update has disabled some or most of the popular mods. It makes it seem to me that I'm always spending more time reviewing the forums, tinkering with ckan, deleting everything and ckan because one unkown mod broke the game, starting all over again with manual installs... noticing all of the mods that are updated but not on ckan... 3 hrs later I have manually installed the 60ish mods I feel make the game look up to standard and offers the most fun for my play style. In the end I'm deleting ksp and waiting a few months because I realize that i just want a stable game with the mods that make it look great and the parts to make getting places a lot more fun. 

I think the problem for me is that I own a steam copy of the game that is forced into updating automatically. I had my dream game during 1.2.2 but life happened and took me away before I got to really hammer out a lot of what I've been wanting to do. Again I remind you all that I'm an intermediate player, I still need to learn how to accomplish getting past eve, or building a colony somewhere off-kerbin. I think if there was a way for players like me to freeze an update in time with the mods associated with that version it would make me happier about the game, I could choose to not update for languages I don't speak,

I'm also ignorant about how or if newer versions of the game give those dev's more features to add to their mods.I see a lot of mods improving over time and I'm not sure if that's because of newer versions of the game or just time spent on the improvements of the mod itself. 

@Jengaleng In Steam, right click the game, click Properties, Click the Betas tab, select 1.2.2 from the list.

fjBkhwj.png

You can also copy the game away from Steam, it does not use the Steam DRM.  You can have as many copies of the game on your drive as you desire.

Edited by Alshain

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, Jengaleng said:

I think the problem for me is that I own a steam copy of the game that is forced into updating automatically.

I have five KSP copies running out of the Steam Common folder to prevent this from messing with my saves and add-ons. You just need to clone your Kerbal Space Program folder at each point you want to; for instance, you could opt into 1.2.2, refresh the game content, clone the folder, then repeat for each game version you want to keep.

I think Squad is OK with this as long as you don't distribute the copies you make.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.