KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Ok as i said earlier heres my warp capable SSTO . It is most compact and most complete design i get to work .

http://s15.postimg.org/7nqiifu13/screenshot0.png

http://s15.postimg.org/4sdfbkq13/screenshot3.png

http://s15.postimg.org/66526vpaf/screenshot4.png

there is the file http://www.speedyshare.com/3JjNz/KSS-Atmos.craft

Fly:

let it lift at bout 250

pitch to 30 half thrust

at 8 - 9 km go full throttle

at 50km deploy radiators ( 3 default )

Action groups:

1 - swich engine mode and close/open intakes

2 - toggle warp drive ( not charging )

3 - toggle radiators

4 - vertical landing legs

i like spaceplanes and i like this mod so i combinet them both :)

LOL I am much less creative with my SSTO's...

image.png

Press 1 and it activates the atmosphere scoops.

Click ascent guidance in mechjeb...

Coming back down.... Kinda aim at KSP and pop the chutes when close to the ground.

I'll be honest. I know that complaining in the fashion I did is less than acceptable. I'm aware that the developers have been hard at working making something amazing, and I'm sure it is. But myself and others have these issues. I've seen multiple posts about it spanning across the last 358 pages of posts and it seems like this issue hasn't been resolved. I'm just looking to solve this issue for myself and the others that are relying on an answer.

As for the debugging. I am running Ubuntu Linux 14.04. The memory is handling fine, and the only mods I have are TweakScale and Interstellar. As for the logs, I'm afraid that I'm not entirely sure how to grab those.

I run KSP-I on Linux with no issue. Like Freethinker said, try removing the plugin entirely and re-install.

Does anyone else get a weird visual bug where radiators glow dull red while below room temperature? I had a craft with a bunch of radiator panels, and a nuclear light-bulb engine, which had almost no waste heat but nice glowing radiators.

The other thing, that seems related, is the engine will eventually overheat and explode if run at low throttle, without shutting down due to excess heat before it shuts down due to waste heat.

I am assuming this is due to interactions between the KSP-I mods heat system and the stock heat system.

Is this intended behaviour? I expected to hit the 90% emergency shutdown before anything exploded, and things glowing red at 270k is annoying the pedantic science geek in me.

Edited by Dangerous_Beans

Greetings all. To start, absolutely fantastic mod. Couldn't play KSP without it. However, I'm having a minor issue with the engines in that the engine effects be it visual or audible aren't working. Everything else works perfectly. I'm hoping there's an easy fix for this as it's really takes away from the end product, so to speak. Any ideas?

Does anyone else get a weird visual bug where radiators glow dull red while below room temperature? I had a craft with a bunch of radiator panels, and a nuclear light-bulb engine, which had almost no waste heat but nice glowing radiators.

The other thing, that seems related, is the engine will eventually overheat and explode if run at low throttle, without shutting down due to excess heat before it shuts down due to waste heat.

I am assuming this is due to interactions between the KSP-I mods heat system and the stock heat system.

Is this intended behaviour? I expected to hit the 90% emergency shutdown before anything exploded, and things glowing red at 270k is annoying the pedantic science geek in me.

Notice, the KSPI radiators can start to glow red either by KSPI Wasteheat or KSPI Stock Heat. KSPI radiators do double dutty, they get rid of both Wasteheat and stock heat using heat pumps

Edited by FreeThinker

just upgraded to .16 this morning, and trouble has begun.

on load the number of 'module manager patches' doubled, and memory overflows past limit before game is loaded.

this was the only change to the install, and i removed the old directories before installing the upgrade.

had to revert to .15

wish i could provide some logs, but its crashing before they can be created

Weird, I haven't added any additional module manager patches, I only fixed a bug that caused radiators not to function. Is anyone else having this problem?

I am only having good things with the new version. Mine is very slightly modded of course, but every change you pushed to git works for me without issue. The radiators are also working much better.

My patches also remained exactly the same at 453 total.

not "teorically", and not "almost"

turbojet+ramjet+plasma (quantum plasma) = infinity deltaV and ability to reach 3500 m/s surface speed in atmosphere.

provided you have unlimited energy source (like microwave solar powered network or harvest antimatter or/and isotopes for fusion around planets)

ye but quantu vaccum it is not powerfull enough to propel anything heavy and bassicly useless.

ye but quantu vaccum it is not powerfull enough to propel anything heavy and bassicly useless.

Why useless? Ok, on a big interplanetary ship you'll have a terribly low TWR, but with patience and a precise maneuvering, you can go everywhere. Obviously you need to think in a different way and forget about simple Hoemann Transfer, like in real life with Ion Thrusters, or here in KSPI with Magnetic Nozzle...

Microwave receiver will show this statement to not be true.

I managed to get a craft off the ground with just Quantum Vacuum and microwave receivers once. (TWR 1.03) (a bug allows you to use it in the atmosphere lately but I don't think it affects anything important as you could just use atmosphere instead)

I also have a fork where I allow tweakscaling up to 10m on the engines (I made a pull request in case freethinker ever wants to allow it), and a Quantum Vacuum will handle just about everything I throw at it as long as I do not mind a TWR of around .1

Edited by Profit-

Microwave receiver will show this statement to not be true.

I managed to get a craft off the ground with just Quantum Vacuum and microwave receivers once. (TWR 1.03) (a bug allows you to use it in the atmosphere lately but I don't think it affects anything important as you could just use atmosphere instead)

plasma engine can work with atmosphere as propellant if nothing was changed since 1.5.13, so you could just use atmosphere to get to orbit,

acceleration 1m/(s*s) with quantum Vacuum is real (for full craft, for may be exception of reactor, or just small antimatter reactor) in current version, and it's a lot for no propellant engine.

Edited by okder

Notice, the KSPI radiators can start to glow red either by KSPI Wasteheat or KSPI Stock Heat. KSPI radiators do double dutty, they get rid of both Wasteheat and stock heat using heat pumps

thanks.

is it possible to integrate them any further, maybe a way of converting the stock component temperature to waste heat? (though doing it only in radiators would make sense)

also, thanks for the work keeping the mod going. it's a really fun mod to play with.

Okay I figured it out, sort of. It's conflicting with b9 aerospace in some fashion. I'm not sure how though. Both mods are a must have so I need to get to the bottom of it. I mean ultimately theres not much I can do besides hope you all can collaborate and come up wuth a fix

Any engine period. Anyhow, I found what the problem was. KSPI is conflicting with "b9_hotrockets.cfg" from the b9 mod. I only bring this up because both mods are a must have for me and others may share my same feelings. I have since deleted the "MP_NAZARI" folder containing the .cfg and the engine effects now work.

Am I reading this right? 65 Terawatts of heat dissipation????

image.png

(On a side note, I do believe convection may not be working correctly, I am having problems with overheating even with really high dissipation)

145 Terawatts now, heat is still rising.

Edited by Profit-

@freethinker This could change, but I have been looking and I don't have any bugs to report. I am pretty sure this is the first time this has happened with this mod. Congrats man!

Thanks for you help. I could not have done it with you and other loyal fans.

well bug with pure particle powered reactor(set in editor!) which can't power thermal engines still there (if you don't switch rector mode in fly to thermal and back) engines will not work.

a lot of bugs with resource mining and conversion, i think it's better to move that to another mod,

and significantly rewrite it.

among them

1. still no water mining, in moon craters, where default ksp map shows water present.

2. no resource mining/obtaining from atmosphere when vessel is not active, some processes requires days to acquire enough of resource, and you can't switch vessel for that time (especially bad for low orbit atmosphere mining). and i was not able to mine enough resources for magnetic fusion reactor working from Jool low orbit, i.e. even helium 3 mining speed is too low. i can understand that antimatter mining could be very low (should be hundreds times lower than he3 when energy is considered)

3. uranium transfer problem.

3.5 actinides transfer and reprocess (currently works only in science lab, taking from online reactor and returning uranium to it, that's looks like bug too)

4. lithium can't be mined anywhere.

5. atmosphere mining can't mine all gases same time, but why you can only capture one gas at time?

(i.e. you should still capture all gases, you can separate them later)

6. drills not used for mining.

7. Uranium nitride production (Uranium Tetraflouride Ammonolysis)

non resource bugs:

NFT compatibility missing for some kspi attitude/rcs thrusters (they require hundreds times more energy than ATTILA)

NFT compatibilty may be missing for Flat radiator.

in some vessels design strange problems with fuel flow appears and disappears randomly (again thermal engine, hydrogen works perfectly, liquid fuel buggy, and lf+ox even more buggy).

still in general this mod is a great work.

Edited by okder

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.