KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

1 hour ago, raxo2222 said:

Wonder if gamma rays would be usable too.

At second though, I think we already went too far with X-ray which would effectively make it a death ray. Then there is also the issue with efficiency, I imagine the more energetic the wave, the harder it becomes in converting into effective power. I believe Extreme UV (1e-8) is the upper range that is feasible

Edited by FreeThinker

28 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

At second though, I think we already went too far with X-ray which would effectively make it a death ray. Then there is also the issue with efficiency, I imagine the more energetic the wave, the harder it becomes in converting into effective power. I believe Extreme UV (1e-8) is the upper range that is feasible

heh frying everything, that accidentally got into xray laser :P

Jeb would love this toy.

So instead extreme UV could be unlocked with ultra high energy physics.

When the inertial fusion reactors disappeared, it killed a bunch of in-progress flights. I went to find the files from an old install, but I couldn't find anything by that name. What do I need to copy over so I can at least finish up those missions?

Maybe I'm just dumb, but can someone explain how the Magnetic Nozzle works? The engine is producing thrust but why does the ISP change based on my throttle setting (1,200,000 at 0%, 12,000 at 100%)? When I'm in the VAB, Engineer Redux says I should have X m/s of dV but when I'm actually flying the thing I only get 1/100 of the dV at max throttle. Also, what does the "throttle exponent" thing in the context menu mean? Sometimes it's at 1, sometimes at 2, but what does it do and how do I control it?

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

4 hours ago, nezumi said:

When the inertial fusion reactors disappeared, it killed a bunch of in-progress flights. I went to find the files from an old install, but I couldn't find anything by that name. What do I need to copy over so I can at least finish up those missions?

From an older version, simply copy from GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Electrical\SmallFusionReactor

I have problems with the daedalus engine

1 the radial interstellar fuel tank x11 does not have LqdHe3 or Lqd Deuterium as an available resource

2 when i try to use the daedalus engine in time warp the target moves and thus i have to stop time warp to reorient the spacecraft

On 7/18/2016 at 7:54 PM, FreeThinker said:

Well, I'm 99.9% sure you did something wrong in your installation because no one else is reporting the issue and I test my mod every time.

Okay. No success with reinstalling so far. Going to try going back to the last version that worked (1.89 I think) and at any rate sort out the ships that seem to be broken (following parts missing: KSPI.SaltCoreReactorMk1) so I can move back to the new version.

Edit - Yes it definitely works on version 1.89 i got from github.

Edited by Genomaniac
Additional info

3 hours ago, totos_totidis said:

1 the radial interstellar fuel tank x11 does not have LqdHe3 or Lqd Deuterium as an available resource

2 when i try to use the daedalus engine in time warp the target moves and thus i have to stop time warp to reorient the spacecraft

Persistent rotation will be very useful for star travelling. Point at the target and TimeWarp until you reach it.

16 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

Persistent rotation will be very useful for star travelling. Point at the target and TimeWarp until you reach it.

Another tool indespensible is precise node. especialy it's ability to create nave node which lowers speed by milion meters per seconds. Note you can type  the amount directly in the editbox, this save you from pressing the 100 button a thousand times!

On 20-7-2016 at 5:47 AM, CaptainKorhonen said:

Maybe I'm just dumb, but can someone explain how the Magnetic Nozzle works? The engine is producing thrust but why does the ISP change based on my throttle setting (1,200,000 at 0%, 12,000 at 100%)? When I'm in the VAB, Engineer Redux says I should have X m/s of dV but when I'm actually flying the thing I only get 1/100 of the dV at max throttle. Also, what does the "throttle exponent" thing in the context menu mean? Sometimes it's at 1, sometimes at 2, but what does it do and how do I control it?

Well the general Idea it that combines Isp and thrust into a single throtle. It will always use maximum possible thrust for a specfic Isp, while beeing adjustable. At minimum throtle its Isp will be highest and it exponentialy increase thrust (and lowers Isp) when you increase the Throtle. This is quite effective for direct control. The problem is that tools like mech Jeb don't understand it at all, all they see is the current setting. I intend to improve it in the future

Edited by FreeThinker

On 19-7-2016 at 3:47 AM, Thobewill10 said:

Thank you! The information in the OP is there but it's mostly numbers and I'm just starting out. It's all very complicated!

Note that there is a detailed technical guide which can help you understand the finer details of all the tables. Note there might be some inconsistancies with the actual models

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Well the general dea it that combines Isp and thrust into a single throtle. It will always use maximum possible thrust for a specfic Isp, whill is adjustable. At minimum throtle it Isp will be highest and it exponentialy increase thrust (and lowers Isp) when you increase the Throtle. This is quite effective for direct control. The problem is that tools like mech Jeb don't understand it at all, all they see is the current setting. I intend to improve it in the future

Gotcha. If you choose to stick with the combined ISP/thrust control it might be a good idea to make it work with the thrust limiter, i.e. 100% throttle + 10% thrust limiter gives you the same thrust and ISP as 10% throttle + 100% thrust limiter. The reason being that the "ISP zones" on the throttle seem to be quite narrow and since the throttle can't be controlled very accurately with a keyboard, it can be difficult to achieve maximum thrust for a certain ISP - you either fall short of the max thrust value for that ISP, or you give it too much throttle and end up in the next "ISP zone".

Another option would be a Near Future style "Power Setting" slider in the context menu that controls the amount of power the engine gets (and thus also the ISP).

E: Nevermind, it turns out it already works with the thrust limiter - I can just limit it to 10% for max ISP.

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

On 20-7-2016 at 5:06 PM, totos_totidis said:

The next patch which include several improvment which will make creating a Daedalus propellaed starship ship easier (like more fuel tank that contain the fusion fuel), and make Timewarp accelation a bit more intuitive and better manageable

I also intend to improve realisim by adding Relativity effect which effectvely make it impossible to travel faster than light.

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker

That album you inserted in OP is missing magnetic nozzles, I created new album few days ago with magnetic nozzles

Imgur album is here: http://imgur.com/a/0ocnb

I reuploaded it again, as there were new features, and I wanted to fix weird bug, that cuts imgur albums on forums.

Edited by raxo2222

I just noticed the kspi-e fuel tank adapter 3.75 to 2.5m does not appear to support liq fuel + ox is this correct or do I have something installed incorrectly?

The default appears to be liq hydrogen

without liq fuel + ox I cannot use it with most of my engines???

interstellar fuel switch only gives me two options with ox (lqdHyd + ox) and (lqdMethane + ox) and like a dozen single fuel types incl water

Edited by ctbram

3 hours ago, ctbram said:

I just noticed the kspi-e fuel tank adapter 3.75 to 2.5m does not appear to support liq fuel + ox is this correct or do I have something installed incorrectly?

The default appears to be liq hydrogen

without liq fuel + ox I cannot use it with most of my engines???

interstellar fuel switch only gives me two options with ox (lqdHyd + ox) and (lqdMethane + ox) and like a dozen single fuel types incl water

Freethinker said, that next patch will focus on bugfixes and implementing whatever is in OP tables.

Hopefully he adds liquid fuel/oxidizer/LFO/monoproperlant/diborane/kerosene/helium to interstellar liquid fuel tanks.

All non cryogenic fuels like liquid fuel should have SMURFF level mass ratio of 1:20.

Also Universal Holding Tank mass ratios should be rebalanced - Ore tank has mass ratio of 1:20 with SMURFF mod, so all nonradioactive solids should have mass ratio of around 1:15 - 1:20, radioactive materials could remain at 1:5

Edit: Since no one wants to mess with MFT compatibility with IFS (mass ratios are inconsistent between these mods), then what about making procedural IFS tank?

It could be pretty simple tank - it would just divide volume between resources.

So I would choose if I want one resource, or for example 5 or so, because I want to have miner/fusion/fission fuel tank.

Edited by raxo2222

I saw there was an update to interstellar fuel switch and core 2.1.1.  and I have kspi-e 1.9.7.  But I am still not gettinmg an option for lqd fuel and oxidizer with the 3.75 to 2.5 kspi-e adapter.  Default is still hydrogen and the only two oxidizer options are hydrogen and methane.

No need to reply if it is still on the list to be addressed.  I don't mean to bug yah.  Just wanted to mention it to be sure it's not a problem with my installation.

Thx and great job keeping kspi-e maintained FT.

jFn2wIF.jpg

Edited by ctbram

I see there are 6 empty config files that are causing errors. The following configs are empty:

1. \KSP_win\GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Electrical\NuclearReactor1Sphere\GascoreReactorMk2.cfg
  2. \KSP_win\GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Electrical\NuclearReactor1Sphere\GascoreReactorMk3.cfg
  3. \KSP_win\GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Utility\microwaveReceiver\part.cfg
  4. \KSP_win\GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Utility\MicrowaveThermalPowerReceiver\MTER-M.cfg
  5. \KSP_win\GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Utility\radialAtmosphericScoop\scoop1.cfg
  6. \KSP_win\GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Utility\microwaveSphereReceiver\microwaveSphereReceiver.cfg
Edited by dirtbiker1824

6 hours ago, ctbram said:

I saw there was an update to interstellar fuel switch and core 2.1.1.  and I have kspi-e 1.9.7.  But I am still not gettinmg an option for lqd fuel and oxidizer with the 3.75 to 2.5 kspi-e adapter.  Default is still hydrogen and the only two oxidizer options are hydrogen and methane.

No need to reply if it is still on the list to be addressed.  I don't mean to bug yah.  Just wanted to mention it to be sure it's not a problem with my installation.

Thx and great job keeping kspi-e maintained FT.

jFn2wIF.jpg

IFS is just mod, that lets you switch resources.

Version 1.9.8 for Kerbal Space Program 1.1.3

Released on 2016-07-24

• Added a new reactor: the Tri-Alpha Colliding Beam Fusion Reactor (by @Eleusis La Arwall ) which is specialized in High Efficient Aneutronic Fusion
  • Daedalus engine is now affected by Time Dilation effect, making it impossible to travel faster than the speed of light
  • Improved interface of Daedalus engine, it operates now more like regular Persistent acceleration engine, with an optional max thrust option.
  • Added new global setting SpeedOfLightMult which modifies the speed of light, by default set on 0.1
  • Added support for Real Solar System, which will set day to 24 hour and the speed of light multiplier to 1
  • Re balanced IFS tank masses, denser propellants can now achiever higher mass ratios compared to lower density propellants
  • Added Dauterium-Helium as tank to IFS tanks
  • Remove poisoning effects of Thermalnozzle when using Hydrazine as propellant
  • Fixed an issue with the Cryo tanks getting NaN temperature

Edited by FreeThinker

The new Tri Alpha  Colliding Beam Fusion Reactor

hTWYOHe.jpgWFN2Kek.jpg

Please, take note of all the little details of this superb model made by @Eleusis La Arwall

The reactor fills a gap that developed after the generic "Omega" became a Magnetized Target Fusion  reactor, which made constructing small electric propulsion vessels very hard, as the Magnetic Target Fusion main strength is thermal propulsion, not power production. The Tri-Alpha Colliding Beam Fusion reactor is our best hope for Aneutronic Fusion. It's Q factor is significantly higher than any fusion reactor (except for ICF fusion reactors but they are unsuitable for power production) and it mass is relatively low, if you figure in lithium shielding cost and thermal electric generators, which this reactor doesn't need.

Edited by FreeThinker

8 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

The new Tri Alpha  Colliding Beam Fusion Reactor

hTWYOHe.jpgWFN2Kek.jpg

The reactor fills a gap that developed after the generic "Omega" became a Magnetized Target Fusion  reactor, which made constructing small electric propulsion vessels very hard, as the Magnetic Target Fusion main strength is thermal propulsion, not power production. The Tri-Alpha Colliding Beam Fusion reactor is our best hope for Aneutronic Fusion. It's Q factor is significantly higher than any fusion reactor (except for ICF fusion reactors but they are unsuitable for power production) and it mass is relatively low, if you figure in lithium shielding cost and thermal electric generators, which this reactor doesn't need.

Hmm design doesn't look very areodynamic.

Also wasn't here other fusion reactor with built in charged particle reactor? It had solar panels on it, and it came only in

3.75m size - its missing from OP

Its on right side of picture. (KSPI 1.9.7)

TPFZOnu.jpg

Edited by raxo2222

19 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Also wasn't here other fusion reactor with built in charged particle reactor? It had solar panels on it, and it came only in

3.75m size - its missing from OP

Its on right side of picture. (KSPI 1.9.7)

TPFZOnu.jpg

Well this reactor is mend as a end tech Flavor version of the Magnetic Confinement Reactor, it doesn't have any unique features which set it apart from the MCF reactor except it artistic ability to add additional tanks on the sides. It should look well with the Warp engine. But I'm think about replacing  the MFC with a Quantum Singularity reactor which is significantly more suitable for high speed FTL travel

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.