Kerbal Space Program For Steam Greenlight?

GamerGuy09

It was suggested a while back, and the response was a fairly mixed one ranging from "meh" to a vitriolic "no".

I don't know that it is a bad idea, but it doesn't seem necessary for KSP. The community is growing fast enough that the devs don't have to go to Steam for extra publicity.

I wouldnt mind if it was on steam but i also dont mind that its not. I understand it could make the game more popular.

I feel this game is not really targeted at the main stream (i did find this game through a youtuber robbaz) and i really dont think the casual type of gamer wont have the patience with this game, then in turn they will probably come to forums with this trolling thing that seems to be in fashion. I like how the forums are now with its community and the devs that post on them.

Also i remember reading somewhere that they dont want it on steam. i support that and understand

The game being on steam itself would be great for things such as distributing updates without their entire web server melting into pool of steaming metal, however it seems steam greenlight would be an unnecessary (if not impossible) thing for the game itself. As it's already being sold, he money from sales seemingly is more than enough to support the development, given that all the extra staff have been hired. Considering the the entire purpose of greenlight is to get games off the ground, and this game is already off the ground and into orbit, it seems rather unnecessary.

I don't know which I find more vexing and perplexing: the Steam obsessives ("What a great game! I've purchased and downloaded it and have it running on my computer and all is well...except it bothers me somehow that it's not on Steam! If only this game...and Minecraft...and Microsoft Excel...and my web browsers...and the GIMP...and the Control Panel...were all on Steam!") or the anti-Steam crusaders ("It's evil DRM! It crashed my cousin's computer! It's insecure and unsafe to trust with any of my personal information--as I've said many times on Facebook while playing Zynga games. I must save everyone I come into contact with from the evil clutches of Steam!").

Steam is immensely successful; and while it has its faults, the good vastly outweighs the bad for most people. So someday, it would make a lot of sense to consider putting KSP on Steam. But not now, because Squad has as big of an alpha userbase as they want and dare to attract; and not exclusively, because forcing your customers to accept only one form of distribution, and to all run a particular DRM/middleware service when some very much don't want it, rarely makes any sense.

Edited by KevinTMC

and not exclusively, because forcing your customers to accept only one form of distribution, and to all run a particular DRM/middleware service when some very much don't want it, rarely makes any sense.

Distrubuting a game on steam doesn't mean you cannot sell it elsewhere. Mount&Blade is a perfect and relevant example of this. It was sold directly by the company during its beta development stage in the same way that KSP is, however when it reached its final version it was also released on steam. You can currently buy it from steam, the developers themselves, or gamersgate (and probably other places I do not know about). It is worth mentioning that paradox published the game for them at the end of their development though.

Since myself and (i assume) others here already own the game, i'm not surprised that most opinions range from "Meh" to "No".

However if I were Squad, I would be looking to get the completed game on Steam. It's a great channel to promote and sell the game through. Assuming of course there is comfort in what that relationship entails.

Anyone who says the game shouldn't be released on Steam, or any other DD platform is being ridiculous -- there is no reason not to unless KSP is as immensely successful as Minecraft (which I hope it is, by the way).

Though, obviously, it shouldn't be released this early in development. Valve wouldn't even allow a game in Alpha or Beta to be released on Steam.

Distrubuting a game on steam doesn't mean you cannot sell it elsewhere. Mount&Blade is a perfect and relevant example of this.

Love M&B. Love it. And that would be an excellent example to follow in many ways. (They've got a clever and devoted modding community too, for instance...which appearing on Steam didn't ruin.)

My point was that many prominent games force Steam registration and usage, even if you buy it through a different website or even in a box at the store. Squad should obviously resist any inducements to do likewise.

Anyone who says the game shouldn't be released on Steam, or any other DD platform is being ridiculous...

Obsession is not rational, and Steam has a way of creating obsessives.

One set can never be completely happy playing their favorite game unless they launched it using Steam.

The other set can never be completely happy playing their favorite game if they know that someone, somewhere, has bought it and launched it using Steam.

Luckily, the vast majority of PC gamers fall into neither category.

If KSP was on steam it would mean we would have to launch steam every time we want to play which is just a farce in my opinion.

No problem here since i have it running anyways 24/7

Though i think KSP is still in a phase where you would not want to attract too many steam users.

Currently with every version the game changes dramatically, so on the steamforums you just get whiners that complain about their mods not working anymore.

Also going on steam will attract a very large crowd, this might be a fine thing when the game is finished and out of beta.

But atm many "casual" gamers could then go out and buy the game on steam without any efford, after that they realise the game is too hard just start flooding the forums with KSP 101 questions.

Though hard games should not be "excluded" from steam, take a look at games like ArmA(DayZ) or a more similar game to KSP, "Lunar Flight". (though lunar flight is mostly about just landing a lander instead of building a rocket)

I think KSP hould move to steam, "eventually".

Probably when the game is out of alpha/beta and when the game will have a mission structure and obvious goals.

Currently KSP is just an gigantic sandbox toy, and a damn fun one! :D

It should be on steam for no other reason that steam has the LARGEST PC game customer base. It is like having your game on the front shelf of ever game store in the world. The increase in revenue alone justifies all the bad things that come from it. Just make sure that you keep our own non steam version on sale at your store for those steam-haters.

The game is not ready for steam yet though. For a steam launch to be successful you pretty much need a full game else the initial release will hurt your future sales on steam.

If KSP was on steam it would mean we would have to launch steam every time we want to play which is just a farce in my opinion.

This is also not true. It just depends on how much of the steamworks package you incorporate. I have plenty of games on my steam account that can be launched without steam running.

The only real problem here is the licensing issue for DLC. If you sell DLC you basically have to force the game to only launch with steam running. I dont really see any KSP DLC in the future though.

From the economical point of view, KSP has to launch on Steam. Normally, if you write a piece of software, you try to reach an audience as large as possible to get as much money as possible.

And the argument, that you need to launch Steam to play it, is absurd. It was already mentioned, that M&B doesn't need this. You can add nearly every game which was released in a Humble Indie Bundle, since 80-90% of these games can be activated on Steam but have also a DRM-free installer (criterion for HIB).

Has to launch? i dont think so
It doesn't have to launch on there, but sales would be drastically lower if they didn't include it as a launch etailer so they'd be silly not to sell it through Steam.

Also, in my experience, 90% of the anti-Steam crusaders arguments against Steam actually are factually incorrect. They ignore offline mode as if it doesn't exist, they ignore all the games that don't require Steam to be running in order to launch, they rely on outdated information (e.g. in 2008 Steam switched from IE to WebKit for their framework and a wide swath of "issues," which were caused by IE being infected with malware, vanished), they ignore the massive gain in sales by using the #1 digital download service in the world, etc.

There's no reason for the devs to pay steam royalties to get a fanbase we all know is inevitable. If they do this they should do it when they game is 100% done, and that's just end of story.

Putting it on steam now is just asking for a headache, When the game's done, sure, whatever. Just don't make it the only way to get the game. Many of us go out of our way to avoid steam just because its a PITA in general, Specially for mod friendly games *ugh the headaches i can feel them already*

If you were to ask for my honest opinion : Oh god no, No, And then no.

Edited by Subcidal