[Stock 0.16] Viper Mk VI (Battlestar Galactica)

Hey all,

Just wanted to share my newest design, an homage to a fine bird! This version is the lightest of my Viper designs and, as such, has no RCS which means it requires the "stilts" to simulate a launch tube takeoff (uses landing legs instead of landing gear)

Takeoff Instructions:

1. Begin the first stage and throttle to maximum.

2. Once the turbojets begin to glow yellow release the stilts with spacebar.

3. Pull back. Hard.

4. Soon the craft will rise and you can fly normally.

Be warned: This craft flies relatively smoothly but due to the anhedral, it likes to roll quickly. Turns can be pulled off relatively quickly but beware that reducing throttle to tighten turns usually leads to a rapid stall. If you do stall, try to point the nose downward and activate the SAS. Occasionally the craft will "grip" the airflow again and you can continue flight.

Don't be too surprised if it takes some practice to get it right, I've found it's worth it, as it's a very fun craft to fly and can reach speeds well over 300 mps with a steady altitude increase.

Landing Instructions:

1. Ensure the landing legs are deployed.

2. Note the two parachutes on the rear of the craft and on the nose: you cannot perform a "combat landing" with this design, you WILL lose the front skid and nacelle.

3. Reduce throttle to 1/3 power and scout a landing area (land on uneven ground at your own peril)

4. When you've reached your desired landing point, reduce throttle to zero and ensure that you are ~200 m above where you want to touch down.

5. Hit the spacebar to deploy the parachutes. These ensure that your horizontal movement is essentially nullified and that you have a slow, even descent.

6. Correct any nose-downs and rolls during descent. Try to ensure that the rear skids touch down first.

Although I do have a version that has enough RCS thrusters and RCS fuel to hop into the air long enough to allow the turbojets to propel the craft forward (eliminating the need for launch stilts), I'm not entirely pleased with the design yet.

Enjoy!

Edited by Raelsmar
fixed "dihedral" to "anhedral" for accuracy

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.