taking a photo

I know this is probably old-hat to most of you, but I haven't been able to take a photo (screenshot, picture, whatever you wish to call it). Can someone talk me through the process. I'm not sure if it's a settings thing, or something with my computer, but just let me know, using small words as apparently I'm an idiot in this regard, how to go from seeing something you want to photograph, to having a picture in a file which I could share with all of you.

Thanks

Are you saying that you don't know how or that it's not working? If the former, press F1 and whatever you're looking at (except the mouse pointer) will be saved in the "Screenshots" folder within your KSP folders. Then the best way to post it currently is to upload that screenshot file to a service like Imgur, then take the URL that Imgur gives you for that screenshot and link to it in your post.

Hitting print screen button then opening up Paint and hitting ctrl+v will copy the image that you got when you pressed prtSc key, thats a one way of doing it (what i use). But you can also use in-game function of taking screenshots, search the input mapping in the settings after you start the game.

I have seen way too many screenshots featuring the magnificent window borders, and sometimes a bit of the background as well. PrintScreen is an all-purpose way of doing it, but using built-in functions should be the way to go, as they will always and automatically capture only the useful part of the screen (the game render, that is).

So I'd suggest to do what Vanamonde said and use F1 for you pictures. ;)