Land on Minmus with no landing gear

I did this by accident a couple of hours ago, where there was an issue with staging and resulted in my return stage launching, so I had no landing gear. Nevertheless, I managed to slow down enough to land and balance on the single rocket and return home safely. Anyone else want to try?

PK4Ep.jpg

My first trip to Minmus was an orbiter simply to prove I could get there. I decided to give landing a shot, landed on the engine, then returned home.

It is quite possible to land on any of the bodies on an engine. :D

Did it just yesterday. And failed: the lander fell on its side. Phew, not a big deal: I just gently fired the engine and tilted the craft with <WASD>... and got back home in one piece))

And -- yep, I confirm: having touchdown speed below 0.5 m/s is a challenge.

I did this by accident a couple of hours ago, where there was an issue with staging and resulted in my return stage launching, so I had no landing gear. Nevertheless, I managed to slow down enough to land and balance on the single rocket and return home safely. Anyone else want to try?

It looks like you're using my Munitaur II design :D

I actually did the exact same thing while attempting the grand tour of the kerbin system.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31053[/ATTACH]

So, I decided to give the ol'times sake a chance, left mechJeb and the landing gear at home and tried a minmus landing on top of winglets like in before .13 ...

screenshot12.png

... just to discover that the winglets still somehow sink on the ground like hell :/ Anyway it was enough to not damage the aerospikes ;)

True, but landing on Mun without proper landing gear is arguably more challenging than doing the same thing on Minmus

I believe people used fins while landing in the versions before landing gear was added, as a makeshift landing gear. They didn't just land on their engines.

I've actually been able to land on the Mun in the demo version 2 or 3 times now, which is really tricky as there is no auto-save "do-overs". The RCS helps immensly, as it keeps you from toppling over.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.