ULA launch and discussion thread

tater

Too bad ULA doesn't have engines... They'd be uniquely positioned to grab a bunch of launch contracts right now. OneWeb, crew rated Vulcan for Starliner, Cygnus, etc.

Edited by tater

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, RCgothic said:

Those BE-4s look very incomplete to me considering the amount of soon(TM) we've been getting every time we've asked about them!

Are you not noticing the engine in the background? The one in the very center of the picture?

6 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Are you not noticing the engine in the background? The one in the very center of the picture?

Good eye.

That said, Tory said the flight engines were heading to the build stand, so maybe the one already in the build stand is a last test article?

14 minutes ago, tater said:

Good eye.

That said, Tory said the flight engines were heading to the build stand, so maybe the one already in the build stand is a last test article?

So he was talking about the items in the foreground? In that case, I think I would have captioned it "flight hardware" rather than "engines", but I suppose by this point he's getting pretty desperate to have anything that even hints of delivered engines.

5 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

So he was talking about the items in the foreground? In that case, I think I would have captioned it "flight hardware" rather than "engines", but I suppose by this point he's getting pretty desperate to have anything that even hints of delivered engines.

Yeah, I agree. I have no idea what he meant precisely, just read the tweet and taken literally it might be the 2 in the foreground—Vulcan does use 2 engines. Course they probably need to have at least one spare cause they have to install and test them. Unsure if Vulcan is going to do a test at Stennis or not (that just popped into my head).

Excited to see Vulcan fly.

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

You mean the one (just 1 so far?) on the built stand, covered in a rat's nest? Yeah, didn't notice that one. But the tweet did say "heading to..." so those bells (with lower chamber half?) in the foreground might be the actual flight engines. Then I read the actual twitter thread and, yup!

Nice to see progress. Elsewhere in that thread, preumably referring to the qualification engines...

2 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

You mean the one (just 1 so far?) on the built stand, covered in a rat's nest? Yeah, didn't notice that one. But the tweet did say "heading to..." so those bells (with lower chamber half?) in the foreground might be the actual flight engines. Then I read the actual twitter thread and, yup!

Nice to see progress. Elsewhere in that thread, preumably referring to the qualification engines...

Is that "throttle range" for the Vulcan BE-4 public knowledge?

Just now, StrandedonEarth said:

According to Wiki, (2018-2019 document) 

• Deep throttling capability to 65% power or lower[55]

Yeah, but that's necessary for New Glenn because of vertical landing. We know that the Vulcan version of BE-4 has been simplified in the parts that are unnecessary for the rocket in order to accelerate the schedule, so I assume that the throttle range Tory is talking about in the context of Vulcan is smaller

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...