[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

I have a suggestion for the name of the desert planet. Hopefully Nova reads this:

How about Descartes?

The Descartes highlands were Apollo 16's landing site on the Moon and it has the prefix "des" for desert.

I am pretty sure "des" is not a prefix, the only word that features it is desert (and technically dessert)

ON TOPIC: I'm going to try and land right next to the lava/land border on Charr. I may also design a boat with heat capacitors and heat resistant hulls :)

I am pretty sure "des" is not a prefix, the only word that features it is desert (and technically dessert)

ON TOPIC: I'm going to try and land right next to the lava/land border on Charr. I may also design a boat with heat capacitors and heat resistant hulls :)

Nova earlier stated that he wanted the syllable "des" somewhere in the name of the desert planet.

Although the "des" in Descartes probably doesn't have the right sound to be what he is looking for.

Well yeah I know it's not really a pre-fix, but it'd be a prefix meaning "desert" in the new planet.

I like your idea for landing on the lava border. I may try that, too.

I like the fact that on Char, it's always night time on the far side. The problem with that, though, is that you can't really enjoy landing on it. It may just be a planet that's nice to orbit.

Aaaaand just so we don't start another fistfight, the 3d glasses in that picture are a mod made specifically for kurt.

So far, we've gotten to see pictures of all new planets except the lava planet. Is it some kind of secret to make us even more excited for the update, or has it just not been made yet?

It's sort of been worked on, but it still needs a respectable lava texture/shader (as in, it doesn't have one at all)

Hmm...

6RP0M.jpg

Whoever is responsible for this shall be found and forced to pay 5 dollars for causing great mental anguish. You have been warned.

Does this mean there will be changes implemented to the categories and things? Surely it wouldn't have done that if nobody had been doing things with the code there?

Props to you for this Hitchcock-style suspense building!

brokenphoto.jpg

This was bugging me, and one part of it looked oddly familiar, so I figured I'd give it a go. I rotated and cropped the relevant section, "I see a little silhouetto of a man..."

Someone might have some better luck with this than I as it was super hasty.

ucRkl.png

Other thoughts:

- Comet (white section is trail)

- White object is some form of new part. Maybe a solar panel or transmitter of some kind?

- Picture of a large celestial body (maybe the one tidally locked with Charr?) on the horizon (difficult shot to get, btw) and the white object is some form of lander...

I know it's very unlikely, but it'd be really awesome if we could change the orbit of the small potatoe-like moon by either crashing things into it or thrusting downwards directly into the moon.

newtons law every action has a reaction, you could have the same effect thrusting upwards

Since I am a firm believer in the fact that it should be viewed upside down, I have used the retouched version of the picture and coloured lines separating what I think are the different areas of the scene.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31252[/ATTACH]

The green lines show what could all be separated, or certain parts connected or part of the same area. The yellow line is what I think is the horizon of a planet or moon, with the surface below it.... As it is...

Any thoughts?

Since I am a firm believer in the fact that it should be viewed upside down, I have used the retouched version of the picture and coloured lines separating what I think are the different areas of the scene.

That looks like the surface of a star with a few flares going on...

Back to the 'scenarios' feature that will be added, will we be able to select the time of the launch? It would be a really helpful feature if we could.

The green lines show what could all be separated, or certain parts connected or part of the same area. The yellow line is what I think is the horizon of a planet or moon, with the surface below it.... As it is...

Any thoughts?

Am I the only one seeing a parabolic antenna there? Like some sort of alien Mun base?

I just can't wait for this new update! I'm hoping that there'll be some form of interplanetary engine as part of the new parts. Separation motors and such don't particularly interest me. I'm hoping for something with very high specific impulse.