[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

I haven't really been paying attention, does the planet that is tidally locked to Kerbol have any moons? Because if so, then the first picture with the black thing on the bottom is definetely Nova trying to land on the dark side of that planet with a moon in the background.

Nova can you put a teapot orbiting between kerbin the desert planet?

Flying along in the largest rocket ever when suddenly BAM hit by a symbol of skepticism.

I had thought of this before, but it would be so difficult to find. Sort of like putting the regolith castle you sometimes see in the opening animation on the Mun. Really neat but nobody would ever see it. I suppose that is the point though, impossible to disprove.

Just two thoughts from some skimming since last night.

First yeah, the space elevator was my inspiration, and the obvouols limiting factor is making a cable that long that can actually hold itself up. I believe it is also part of the design to have a second piece also connected by cables that acts as a counterweight, but I might be making things up (seems like a second piece would fall behind in orbit).

Second, it is perfectly possible to make things move up through a 'magical pressure differential'. I invite you to cut a strip of paper, hold one end right under your lips, and blow a stream of air through your lips. The paper will rise up and flutter as it moves in and out of your air stream. The moving air lowers the pressure enough that the air under the paper is able to push it up. You'd be hard pressed to make a plane fly with only this, but it can help. Otherwise we wouldn't make aircraft with shaped wings, since they create extra drag by increasing the surface area for friction to act on, and create a larger leading edge which requires pushing more air out of the way.

^ do you think maybe you could just listen to multiple moderators and other people saying that you should discuss that elsewhere, instead of trying to get the last word in?

Secondly: I wonder if the interesting 4 engine design on that lander on the new mun textures made possible by the new centre of gravity/centre of thrust indicators? Or just a lot of experience from building with those parts

On Orbiter, the pressure of the atmosphere is so great that rockets don't even work for the most part.

Will that be the same on KSP?

On top of that,... is it an atmosphere air breathing engines would work in?

I guess those are things still to come. It would be interesting if some sort of engine would thrive on Eve because of some ultra high oxygen concentration. Though it's quite possible, even likely, that it'll be some toxic non-combustible useless gas since that's how Venus is.

Either way, wonder how long it is til the "Eve Prize" is claimed, of a landing and return to Kerbin is claimed.

I was thinking of going more along the lines of the Russian mars probes

starting with flybys, then to a Mars-3 landing, maybe even replicate the Phobos-Grunt missions

Either way, wonder how long it is til the "Eve Prize" is claimed, of a landing and return to Kerbin is claimed.

I wager with current stock parts it is not possible. Getting a rocket off Eve, yes. Getting that rocket to the surface from Kerbin, no.