Horizon Aeronautics - Development Thread

stubbles

Haha, it's not so dense, vert-wise. The textures are pretty small for the most part. As mentioned, the RD-58M uses just a single texture, so it's just one draw call for the engine to make (much cheaper). I'll probably also be releasing the parts with 512x512 textures instead of 1024x1024, so no worries for really low end systems :)

Here's a downsized view of the texture sheet. In hindsight, I should have done the gold foil differently. 8( Live and learn!

horizon27.jpg

Haha, it's not so dense, vert-wise. The textures are pretty small for the most part. As mentioned, the RD-58M uses just a single texture, so it's just one draw call for the engine to make (much cheaper). I'll probably also be releasing the parts with 512x512 textures instead of 1024x1024, so no worries for really low end systems :)

Here's a downsized view of the texture sheet. In hindsight, I should have done the gold foil differently. 8( Live and learn!

horizon27.jpg

foil or no foil it still looks damn good. So do you do your nomals first then texture off that?

Yeah, I've been using nDo2 for my normals, which is a plugin for Photoshop. Then I'll generate cavity maps using either nDo2 or Knald, then bake out a low poly AO from xNormal. All of those get overlayed on top of the base texture to create the shadow effect on the mesh.

Yeah, I've been using nDo2 for my normals, which is a plugin for Photoshop. Then I'll generate cavity maps using either nDo2 or Knald, then bake out a low poly AO from xNormal. All of those get overlayed on top of the base texture to create the shadow effect on the mesh.

Thanks for the insight :) very much appreciated!

Thanks for the insight :) very much appreciated!

No worries man! Have any other Q's just ask away.

Got this ingame right now.

horizon28.jpg

Really not happy with the spec response in vanilla Unity. The lights are sooo overpowering since there's no tonemapping of any kind, ugh. My spec map is pretty dark in the area that's being blown out (around RGB 150) which should be plenty of room for lighting/post/bloom, but KSP lights just go kill, KILL, KIIIIILLLLLLLL! Haha. Man, going to have to make the spec map darker in those areas now :(

Here's some emissive, too:

horizon29.jpg

Edited by stubbles

This is still the 1024. The 512 looks almost identical, except the text decals get pretty smudgy 8(

It's 3800 tris right now, with room to optimize a bit. Though I don't feel like it's that bad, considering it's the last stage and most of the rest of the rocket components are pretty cheap.

Edited by stubbles

Damn sexy! Looks like you fixed the spec issue?

Danke! Not really a fix, just more of a workaround for the engine I suppose. I just toned down the color brightness value of the spec in the material. Don't think I'll get the spec results I want, but it'll have to do. :D

Here's another shot of the 3rd stage, fairing decoupling and the block DM/Payload-decoupler after decoupling it's payload.

horizon31.jpg

In the top right is a pic of the RD-120 engine, which I got UV-mapped tonight. So I'll start working on the textures for that tomorrow night.

Edited by stubbles

Here's another shot of the 3rd stage, fairing decoupling and the block DM/Payload-decoupler after decoupling it's payload.

In the top right is a pic of the RD-120 engine, which I got UV-mapped tonight. So I'll start working on the textures for that tomorrow night.

So when should I expect to delete all of my other lifters?

Nice UV's what do you use for UVing?

It's all just hand work in 3dsmax. I use some UV tools like TexTools (free script) in Max, but it's not like auto UV's - you still have to do it all by hand.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.