Mun Landing issues

The Man Myth and Legend

I just had my first successful Mun landing! I had a really nice launch and transfer and then I preformed my deceleration burn. Only then did I realize that I was on the dark side and couldn't see the ground. I used more fuel than expected but had a smooth landing. I went on EVA and accidently broke of  all my solar panels so I took off. Now my brave kerbonaut is stuck in Munar orbit with no fuel and is running out of electricity. I am new to the game and I can not even preform a LKO rendezvous never mind a rendezvous with an eccentric Munar rescue. Even worse it has no docking ports!!! How am I supposed to go about on this rescue.

Since you made it to Munar orbit, you could do a return ejection with the good ole' get-out-and-push method.  EVA fuel is infinite, in that it refills when you get back in the craft.  Might take a few orbits, but if you plan it right, you should be able to get on a free return trajectory for a Kerbin re-entry.  I saw a really good tutorial on doing that awhile back, don't remember where, but it was @Snark who'd posted it.

28 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Since you made it to Munar orbit, you could do a return ejection with the good ole' get-out-and-push method.  EVA fuel is infinite, in that it refills when you get back in the craft.  Might take a few orbits, but if you plan it right, you should be able to get on a free return trajectory for a Kerbin re-entry.  I saw a really good tutorial on doing that awhile back, don't remember where, but it was @Snark who'd posted it.

Can you explain further?

16 minutes ago, The Man Myth and Legend said:

Can you explain further?

1. Turn the craft (Or pod) the way you would like.

2. Have your kerbal leave the craft and get on the backside. 

3. Turn on your EVA jetpack and PUUUUUUUUUSSSSSHHHHHH!!! 

4. When you start to run put of fuel, (Trust me, don't wait until it's gone. You'll be stuck forever...) Return to the craft and refuel, and then PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!

7 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

1. Turn the craft (Or pod) the way you would like.

2. Have your kerbal leave the craft and get on the backside. 

3. Turn on your EVA jetpack and PUUUUUUUUUSSSSSHHHHHH!!! 

4. When you start to run put of fuel, (Trust me, don't wait until it's gone. You'll be stuck forever...) Return to the craft and refuel, and then PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Its a one man pod so i roatation issuses

Don't worry. All Kerbal capsules have more than ample snack supplies - your pilot won't starve!

In due course, when your rocket-building, rendezvous and docking skills are good enough you can go and rescue him/her in a rocket with one spare seat. Use a claw to catch his capsule, and have him spacewalk across.

You have it lucky! I ended up with a few such accidents back in the days when there were no docking ports, no claw and no EVA RCS system, so there was no practical way to rescue stranded Kerbals. You either left them there or aborted the mission. ;.;

Are you against editing your save file? search for the string "Broken" and replace it with "Retracted" and you'll be able to deploy your solar panels again.

As to your return issues, either you send rescue - no docking port means you have to eva the kerbal over to the other craft, or you bring a Claw.

If you can't send a rescue, and you don't have enough fuel to get back, then you could also edit more fuel into your craft... but this is much more "cheaty" than just fixing solar panels because you were clumsy and didn't have a quicksave to load.

14 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Are you against editing your save file? search for the string "Broken" and replace it with "Retracted" and you'll be able to deploy your solar panels again.

As to your return issues, either you send rescue - no docking port means you have to eva the kerbal over to the other craft, or you bring a Claw.

If you can't send a rescue, and you don't have enough fuel to get back, then you could also edit more fuel into your craft... but this is much more "cheaty" than just fixing solar panels because you were clumsy and didn't have a quicksave to load.

Yes, and whats quicksaving?

Practice rendezvous, it's probably the hardest thing in KSP for most people. Once you can do it, then rendezvous with your lander in munar orbit. Once nearby, the kerbal can EVA to the rescue craft---just make sure your rescue craft has an extra seat.

30 minutes ago, The Man Myth and Legend said:

Well that's helpful

I always just reverted to launch is something went south

You'll eventually discover that if you've had to close out of the game and come back (say, because it was bedtime -- a likely cause if you work for a living and play in your limited spare time), you lose the ability to revert a flight (revert button is grayed out -- you can only revert to a launch or VAB construction within the same game session).  Having quicksaves and named saves (hit ESC and then select "save game", then give the save a name you'll look for if/when you need to load to that point again), as well as the "persistent" save that updates whenever the game auto-saves can "save" your green, googly-eyed bacon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.