[1.3.1] Aviation Lights v3.14 [use MOARdV's version instead!]

BigNose

Also a thought here:

Does he maybe have two installs of the MOD itself? An old install in the legacy folder and the new one in GameData?

Very much possible indeed.

Ok you're gonna <3 this..

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24536-Self-help-for-crashes-look-here-first-if-KSP-crashes

Or read below:

Windows Data Execution Prevention (DEP)

Another big cause of crashes is Data Execution Prevention interfering with KSP. Symptoms include the game not saving settings and/or not writing anything to it's output_log.txt file located in the \KSP_Data\ folder. The issue is caused because KSP is not an installed program but can fortunatly be remedied fairly easily and fixing it should thus always be attempted before posting a support request. It can be solved in two ways:

Copy (not move) your KSP installation away from the C:\Program Files\, C:\Windows and C:\Users folders, this includes places such as My Documents and your desktop. Copy the KSP folder, then paste it to C:\ or a folder you create there directly, such as C:\KSP or C:\Games. You can then create a shortcut by rightclicking KSP.exe and placing that shortcut on your desktop for easy access. This is the reccommended solution.

Change the DEP settings to ignore KSP.exe, click this link for more information.

Note that this may make you lose your savegames. You can take a look in this thread to see where they are located so you can recover them.

Folder permissions

You'll want to make sure that the KSP folder can be written to: rightclick the KSP folder (by default KSP_win) and click properties. Uncheck the 'read only' checkbox and hit apply. A small window may pop up asking you to apply these settings to just the folder or all subfolders and -files. Check the latter and press ok.

I hate you windowwaarrwwwrrsss!!!!

After days of going out of my mind, trying to figure out why not only the cfg settings, but in game settings like controller options, would not save.

Finally stumbled onto the FAQ.

You need to disable DEP but in Win 7 x64, you cannot disable DEP for this program, it will not allow it.

So you need to either copy the entire game directory to the C:/ Drive..

Then create a shortcut from that new destinations EXE and put it on your desktop.

Oooor you can disable DEP entirely, which I don't mind because I have good antivirus.

Don't mess with this if you don't understand it.

I am not at fault if anyone messes something up, turning off their DEP but this is how you do it, if you need to.

1. Type cmd in the start search menu, right-click on it and select Run as Administrator.

2. Once the command prompt is open, disable DEP by entering the following command line.

bcdedit.exe /set nx AlwaysOff

3. To Enable again:

bcdedit.exe /set nx AlwaysOn

Cheers. :P

Edited by B15hop

Ok you're gonna <3 this..

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24536-Self-help-for-crashes-look-here-first-if-KSP-crashes

Or read below:

Windows Data Execution Prevention (DEP)

Another big cause of crashes is Data Execution Prevention interfering with KSP. Symptoms include the game not saving settings and/or not writing anything to it's output_log.txt file located in the \KSP_Data\ folder. The issue is caused because KSP is not an installed program but can fortunatly be remedied fairly easily and fixing it should thus always be attempted before posting a support request. It can be solved in two ways:

Copy (not move) your KSP installation away from the C:\Program Files\, C:\Windows and C:\Users folders, this includes places such as My Documents and your desktop. Copy the KSP folder, then paste it to C:\ or a folder you create there directly, such as C:\KSP or C:\Games. You can then create a shortcut by rightclicking KSP.exe and placing that shortcut on your desktop for easy access. This is the reccommended solution.

Change the DEP settings to ignore KSP.exe, click this link for more information.

Note that this may make you lose your savegames. You can take a look in this thread to see where they are located so you can recover them.

Folder permissions

You'll want to make sure that the KSP folder can be written to: rightclick the KSP folder (by default KSP_win) and click properties. Uncheck the 'read only' checkbox and hit apply. A small window may pop up asking you to apply these settings to just the folder or all subfolders and -files. Check the latter and press ok.

I hate you windowwaarrwwwrrsss!!!!

After days of going out of my mind, trying to figure out why not only the cfg settings, but in game settings like controller options, would not save.

Finally stumbled onto the FAQ.

You need to disable DEP but in Win 7 x64, you cannot disable DEP for this program, it will not allow it.

So you need to either copy the entire game directory to the C:/ Drive..

Then create a shortcut from that new destinations EXE and put it on your desktop.

Oooor you can disable DEP entirely, which I don't mind because I have good antivirus.

Don't mess with this if you don't understand it.

I am not at fault if anyone messes something up, turning off their DEP but this is how you do it, if you need to.

1. Type cmd in the start search menu, right-click on it and select Run as Administrator.

2. Once the command prompt is open, disable DEP by entering the following command line.

bcdedit.exe /set nx AlwaysOff

3. To Enable again:

bcdedit.exe /set nx AlwaysOn

Cheers. :P

Good call-out, but you should never disable Data Execution Prevention. In Windows 7, it's a good safety net, and it does work if you're not messing around with its mojo.

The thing to remember with Win7 is that its default install locations are sacred, and not meant for the user to just dump their own stuff there whenever.

In short, if a program doesn't require installation to run, then DON'T DROP IT IN PROGRAM FILES, for dog's sake! Only installed programs go in there, and no program at all should be running from any of the Documents directories. Just plop the sucker in the root of C:, or any folder on another drive, if you have more.

Good call-out, but you should never disable Data Execution Prevention. In Windows 7, it's a good safety net, and it does work if you're not messing around with its mojo.

The thing to remember with Win7 is that its default install locations are sacred, and not meant for the user to just dump their own stuff there whenever.

In short, if a program doesn't require installation to run, then DON'T DROP IT IN PROGRAM FILES, for dog's sake! Only installed programs go in there, and no program at all should be running from any of the Documents directories. Just plop the sucker in the root of C:, or any folder on another drive, if you have more.

Lol tell that to steam.. I just let it go where the installer defaulted too. They should know better.

True though, I'll just drop it into the C root and enable DEP again.

I have never liked things like DEP or other "helpful" tools windows implements.

In the past they have generally caused more problems than solved. Guess I need to get use to this one.

So far DEP has caused me problems with several applications though, like motioninjoy before it got digitally signed.

Thanks again for the help. :)

Lol tell that to steam.. I just let it go where the installer defaulted too. They should know better.

True though, I'll just drop it into the C root and enable DEP again.

I have never liked things like DEP or other "helpful" tools windows implements.

In the past they have generally caused more problems than solved. Guess I need to get use to this one.

So far DEP has caused me problems with several applications though, like motioninjoy before it got digitally signed.

Thanks again for the help. :)

Oh crap, Steam. Yeah, you have to remember that Steam deals primarily with games that require installation of some sort. It's a rare thing when a game doesn't require installation and yet is mature enough to be considered ready for distribution, so you get oddities like this.

Also, Steam would catch nothing but hell from the userbase if it were capable of stepping outside its own "playpen" without specific user intervention. That's the behavior of an application looking to plop some nasties on your root or %SYSTEM% directories. :S

There are still a few MS tools that never quite got the point, and never grew up into a useful thing, like UAC (*shudder*). Surprisingly though, they did take some hints and figure out some real good ones, Drive indexing is lots better, DEP is pretty solid (never ran into a conflict with it, for my part), and MSE is excellent.

Did you update the lights again? i noticed it floating back to the front page of newest add ons? i looked over the plugin date, mine was created at 5/29 @ 10:04 PM

The one that is there now is 5/29 10:58 pm.

Did you update the lights again? i noticed it floating back to the front page of newest add ons? i looked over the plugin date, mine was created at 5/29 @ 10:04 PM

The one that is there now is 5/29 10:58 pm.

Nope, I just changed the "compatible-KSP-version-number" to 0.20.2.

If your PC can take it: I present to you the S2W-18 X5! (~330 Parts)

Pictures (click for bigger version):

8mxavb6w.png 9tsmdhie.png nch8mqkk.png fwjc4eyq.png qb78d5uh.png

Download: http://www./download/a0teesur0x3v72j/S2W-18_X5.zip

Action Groups:

1 - Toggle the 18m cargo bay

2 - Switch SABRE engine modes, and toggle all intakes

3 - Toggle all solar panels, dishes and antennas

4 - Toggle the throttle mode of the front wheels

5 - Toggle cockpit lights

6 - Toggle cargo bay lighting

7 - Toggle ladder into the cargo bay + path lighting

8 - Toggle ladder from cockpit to the ground + path lighting

9 - Toggle all navigation lights ON/OFF

10 - Toggle all warning lights FLASH/OFF

Mods you need:

Aviation lights

B9 Aerospace pack

KW Rocketry

RemoteTech

Ferram Aerospace Research

MechJeb2

Kerbal Attachment System

TTModular Multiwheels

When flown right, it gets into orbit with a decent payload and fuel left to spare.

Enjoy

Edited by BigNose
Uploaded requested pictures

On the next update, are you going to take advantage of the new model / texture management features in KSP? I went through locally and reduced the models / textures / configs to 8 files (one model, one part.cfg, and six textures). No sense loading six identical models if you don't have to. I'll be happy to supply the cfg file and instructions on how to do it.

[...] I will change that together with removing the redundancy of the models (all lights using just one) at some point.

Yes I will, but it's not very high priority because the models are so small, it almost makes no difference.

A nice addition to the lights would be a rotating orange warning light (like on cranes, special trucks, tow trucks, etc.)

It's not rotating, but you can have an orange light! Here's one I did earlier as a demo (to myself and others) on how easy it is to create your own colored lights. This is based on the beaconlight, so it's got a fast flash like you'd expect to see on caution lights.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2004695/lightbeacon_amber.zip

Just unzip the bugger alongside the other lights in %KSP_ROOT%\GameData\AviationLights\Parts

:)

Very cool. Now you went and got me interested in modding. I figured I didn't want to get involved in calculating mass and body weight but structure stuff looks fun.

Those light look neat.

On the next update, are you going to take advantage of the new model / texture management features in KSP? I went through locally and reduced the models / textures / configs to 8 files (one model, one part.cfg, and six textures). No sense loading six identical models if you don't have to. I'll be happy to supply the cfg file and instructions on how to do it.

I think I'll have to do this too. With all the parts and mods I have installed, every little bit of memory used makes a difference.

I wanted to drop a quick note and relate how pleased I am by this mod. I have been using Aviation Lights to mark docking ports and ships for better night time docking and it works well with the newer implementation of the control modes well done!

I wanted to drop a quick note and relate how pleased I am by this mod. I have been using Aviation Lights to mark docking ports and ships for better night time docking and it works well with the newer implementation of the control modes well done!

Thanks, I really appreciate that! :D

/me too... :)

I use a green navlight on my taxi and on my station to quickly align my hatches and ladder for crew xfer.

I put a set of lights around the axis of docking ports so I can turn two on manually so as to better see what alignment is when moving. The two white lights frame the target port and make it easy to see from 300 plus meters in the dark.

I usually put red lights on the aft end of ships and a set of blue ones front of it.

Edited by Montieth

They're great for low hull lighting! White for active operation/inspection, blue while at standby or passive operation (cruising between maneuvers). Pilots are calling these "boo lights", in the superstitious belief that the color scares off the Kraken. :D

RI0TSgH.png

Edited by Deadweasel

They're great for low hull lighting! White for active operation/inspection, blue while at standby or passive operation (cruising between maneuvers). Pilots are calling these "boo lights", in the superstitious belief that the color scares off the Kraken. :D

That's so inspiring!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.