Single launch round trip missions to Eve

Hey guys,

I've been working on a new Eve mission off and on after version 1.0 was released with the new aerodynamics (I know, Eve is all I do :/). Compared to my prior experience on Eve, atmospheric entry heating ending up being the huge challenge this time around. The goal of the mission was to send a 3 man pod to Eve sea level and return it back to Kerbin in a single launch with no docking or refueling. It was a fun couple months working on the project. If your interested, check it out:

GZ1sZ6U.png

Full Imgur Album

I'd like to hear other people's experiences on Eve and see pictures of other large scale missions (particularly reentry solutions).

Thanks to everyone for making these forums a great source of info and entertainment!

Edited by godemperorzack
Link fix

I don't have a screenshot handy, but I've done this before.  Considerably smaller ship than yours, though (I was only carrying one kerbal, not three, so the payload was a lot smaller).

• My lander was a 6-asparagus cluster of Vectors under FL-T800's stacked two high, with a Terrier for the upper stage boosting a single Mk1 command pod into orbit.  Lander mass sitting on the surface was something like 54 tons, IIRC.
  • The lander could only get to low Eve orbit.  The Kerbin-return vehicle stayed in orbit while the lander went down.  It was all one launch, though.
  • Descent & reentry was pretty simple, just use an inflatable heatshield sitting under the lander, which is jettisoned before landing.  Aero stability aided by a bunch of airbrakes on the top end, mounted on radial decouplers, jettisoned along with heat shield.

My 3-man mission was  similar to Snarks - I didn't try to put the whole craft down on Eve and get it back to orbit. I didn't use the 4.0t Mk1-2 capsule, I did it with the much lighter combo of a mk1 capsule and a mk1 crew cabin that weighed in at just 1.8t combined. 

Those two things meant that the launch mass of the mission was much less than yours - not saying it was "better" though, just lighter. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.