[1.12] Speed Unit Annex — enhanced navball panel, contextually! (2024-08-05)

flart

I'm wondering if it makes sens to extend this to indicate the percentage of light speed you're going... I've been playing around with some overpowered Epstein Drives (my ship was showing a max TWR of ~150!), and so I conceivably could get going a significant portion of light speed if I wanted to....

33 minutes ago, MinchinWeb said:

I'm wondering if it makes sens to extend this to indicate the percentage of light speed you're going...

The real light speed or the Kerbal one, that is 10 times lower than the real one? I could add that

1 hour ago, flart said:

The real light speed or the Kerbal one, that is 10 times lower than the real one?

LOL of course Kerbals wouldn't use "real" lightspeed! My inclination would be to go with "real" lightspeed; I don't think KSP actually redefines other speed units. Plus I think it would throw me if lightspeed wasn't the "normal" ~300,000 m/s.

Now I'm wondering which one RemoteTech uses to calculate transmission delays....

On 5/19/2024 at 6:05 AM, MinchinWeb said:

Now I'm wondering which one RemoteTech uses to calculate transmission delays....

The warp drive uses kerbalized speed of light

Version 1.5.0

• added option to show a speed as speed of light (after 1% of c)
  • added option to toggle a speed of light to the Kerbalized version (one tenth of c)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2024 at 10:05 PM, MinchinWeb said:

LOL of course Kerbals wouldn't use "real" lightspeed! My inclination would be to go with "real" lightspeed; I don't think KSP actually redefines other speed units. Plus I think it would throw me if lightspeed wasn't the "normal" ~300,000 m/s.

RT apparently defaults to real light speed.

https://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/guide/settings/#world-scale

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, i have a bug with some of the settigns not working. I think its a conflict with FAR, since it worked fine without FAR. I used to see the Mach number show up above the navball, but ever since i got FAR it stopped showing up. same thing with IAS. Splitting speed into horizontal/vertical works, as does rover speedometer (i think) and surface altimeter. I DO have the  "override FAR navball panel" enabled but mach number still never shows up.

https://gist.github.com/321nick/08bee3ec1f889d213a47ec05627dae6e Here is my KSP.log file, if it helps. im on FAR  V0.16.12'Marangoni', and  SUA version 1.6.0

9 hours ago, 123nick said:

I used to see the Mach number show up above the navball, but ever since i got FAR it stopped showing up

Hi, I was not able to reproduce the problem, there are SUA and FAR, and SUA shows Mach and IAS

Spoiler

Breaking Ground (BreakingGround-DLC 1.7.1)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:2.1.10.21)
Editor Extensions Redux (EditorExtensionsRedux 3.4.5)
Ferram Aerospace Research Continued (FerramAerospaceResearchContinued 3:0.16.1.2)
KSPBurst (KSPBurst v1.5.5.1)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.12.1)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.10.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.2.3)
QuickStart (QuickStart 1:2.2.1.2)
SpaceTux Library (SpaceTuxLibrary 0.0.8.6)
Speed Unit Annex (SpeedUnitAnnex 1.6.0)
The Janitor's Closet (JanitorsCloset 0.3.8)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.11)
TweakScale Rescaled Redistributable (TweakScaleRescaled-Redist 3.2.3)
WasdEditorCameraContinued (WasdEditorCameraContinued 0.7.3.3)

yAIQzhI.jpeg

You have many mods, try to troubleshoot by removing several mods at a time

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, MinchinWeb said:

Here I am doing 7.5% the speed of light

c ≈ 300'000'000 m/s,

1% of c is 3'000'000 m/s, if you enable kerbalized c — 10 times lower — 300'000 m/s 

Edited by flart

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, this is a great mod and glad to see some of the gaps stock KSP missed on speed readouts being fulfilled here.  Request: (please forgive if this has already been asked) -- I'd love to see a toolbar button added to this mod that would allow changing some of the options that one currently has to escape out to game settings to change.

Example: There are some situations where the split horizontal/vertical speed indication is really needed (mainly when landing a lander), but then some situations where still in surface mode but it is a problem to have only split speed.  Would be great if there was an easier way to switch.  And/or, maybe even better if an option to show both split horizontal/vertical and non-split at the same time.  Same for IAS vs Mach

Other request - I find it doesn't always do the "right" thing (or at least which I'd prefer) on choosing rover/boat/airplane/etc mode.  Some kind of clickable or such to manually override and set that yourself could be useful.

Thanks again for this mod.  I was really surprised stock KSP doesn't show split horizontal/vertical when doing a surface landing - such a standard and needed thing.  This mod goes on all my game setups - even if doing an otherwise stock playthrough.

9 hours ago, Zaxxon said:

Request: (please forgive if this has already been asked) -- I'd love to see a toolbar button added to this mod that would allow changing some of the options that one currently has to escape out to game settings to change.

Hi, the toolbar button was never requested, units suppouse to be changed on-the-fly, without another gui. Also type of the vessel could be changed to have some specific units. However, there is now so many options, so I understand where the request came from.  

10 hours ago, Zaxxon said:

Example: There are some situations where the split horizontal/vertical speed indication is really needed (mainly when landing a lander)

Then SUA solution would be to add option for auto-split speed horizontal/vertical only for Lander type — and maybe only for descent — that make sence

10 hours ago, Zaxxon said:

I find it doesn't always do the "right" thing (or at least which I'd prefer) on choosing rover/boat/airplane/etc mode. 

What do you mean?
The game sometime does not reconize vessel type correctly, and there is gui for changing type, and the SUA's "virtual types" are straighforward:

On 1/15/2018 at 6:48 PM, flart said:

Boat            is SPLASHED Plane or SPLASHED Rover above -20m
Submarine is SPLASHED Plane or SPLASHED Rover below -20m
Rover          is non-SPLASHED Rover or LANDED Plane
Airplane     is non-SPLASHED Plane and non-LANDED Plane