Drag cubes for large part with low surface area

14fwA4Q.png?1

I'm making some really big truss segments, but the procedural drag cube treats each part like it's clad in plastic. When falling through the atmosphere, it basically

drifts down like a feather. I could just make the parts super heavy, but they're supposed to be made of lightweight materials. 

Anyone had a similar problem in the past? I could use the help :D

56 minutes ago, Bonus Eventus said:

Anyone had a similar problem in the past? I could use the help :D

Hi you are not alone,  why is it a procedural cube though, does it has several animations? 

IF so easy way to get a proper cube generated is to simply comment out the animation modules , load the game, quit the game  then copy the  drag cube from the part database.cfg  to the part cfg , this will prevent the cube been re written each load of the game , and remove the comments from the animation modules

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi you are not alone,  why is it a procedural cube though, does it has several animations? 

IF so easy way to get a proper cube generated is to simply comment out the animation modules , load the game, quit the game  then copy the  drag cube from the part database.cfg  to the part cfg , this will prevent the cube been re written each load of the game , and remove the comments from the animation modules

Yeah, I should have said auto drag cube instead of procedural. I'm talking about the drag cube assigned automatically by KSP, which as you said ends up in the database. I guess I could make the drag cube define something much smaller or supper thin. I'll keep messing with it.

7 hours ago, Bonus Eventus said:

Yeah, I should have said auto drag cube instead of procedural. I'm talking about the drag cube assigned automatically by KSP, which as you said ends up in the database. I guess I could make the drag cube define something much smaller or supper thin. I'll keep messing with it.

hi it's also possible to fix a wrongly proportioned drag cube ,, there is a tool.

So first go to the part database.cfg  and find and  copy this bit of the cube for your part.

cube = Default, 0.05605,0.9593,0.1192, 0.05605,0.9593,0.1192, 0.1046,0.8686,0.1795, 0.1046,1,0.1004, 0.02353,0.8077,0.1807, 0.02353,0.8051,0.1807, 0,0.02,0, 0.2,0.12,0.52

Now go here http://www.datainterlock.com/dragcubes.php

Paste your cube in the box provided and using the options provided  , drag can be adjusted up or down, as can all other areas of the drag cube. making it possible to completely change how the game reacts to the part and how the part moves in game

Once you have done that, copy the newly generated drag cube to your part cfg,  and that should with a little experimentation fix your game/ I do hope that your part has suitable mass , rather than being featherlight,  as not having enough mass will cause issue with large surface area cubes.

On 3/5/2018 at 4:18 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

hi it's also possible to fix a wrongly proportioned drag cube ,, there is a tool.

So first go to the part database.cfg  and find and  copy this bit of the cube for your part.

cube = Default, 0.05605,0.9593,0.1192, 0.05605,0.9593,0.1192, 0.1046,0.8686,0.1795, 0.1046,1,0.1004, 0.02353,0.8077,0.1807, 0.02353,0.8051,0.1807, 0,0.02,0, 0.2,0.12,0.52

Now go here http://www.datainterlock.com/dragcubes.php

Paste your cube in the box provided and using the options provided  , drag can be adjusted up or down, as can all other areas of the drag cube. making it possible to completely change how the game reacts to the part and how the part moves in game

Once you have done that, copy the newly generated drag cube to your part cfg,  and that should with a little experimentation fix your game/ I do hope that your part has suitable mass , rather than being featherlight,  as not having enough mass will cause issue with large surface area cubes.

Thanks a bunch Spanner, I'll give this a try later tonight.

Edit: That script worked a treat. By lowering the drag coefficient and surface area by 50 percent gave a massive improvement from the original. I'll have to do some micro tweaks but this is definitely the solution. Thanks again.

Edited by Bonus Eventus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.