Blue Mun Mission - Why oh why?

dvader

This is getting frustrating. I am trying the Blue Mun mission which is supposedly about fuel economy. But:

1) I am starting from the northern launch pad which is fine, but then I am required to plane change to an equatorial orbit to complete the objective. That's 1800 dV for nothing. It would almost be cheaper to go to the Mun and use a slingshot to do the plane change but it just seems kind of pointless to go to the Mun for a slingshot so we can... uh... go back to the Mun?

2) Anyway, I have changed to an equatorial orbit and am going to the Mun, but guess what? The desired orbit around the Mun is not around the equator  but inclined.

3) Sure, I am supposed to do a measurement above the east crater and the inclination is enough to reach the east crater. But, not right now. I have to wait almost a full Mun revolution . And yeah, the orbit was at 13000m so, at most 50x time warp. I have to go to the Tracking Station and wait...

Why do I have to do all these wasteful and illogical things?

Also, I did everthing they said and still just got bronze. Do I have to go into the mission builder to understand the scoring system?

EDIT: 4) The Resource Amount scoring is REALLY weird. It is not about efficiency but about how much Lq you can haul into Mun orbit.

1. 1500 pts for Lq < 2000
  2. 1000 pts for Lq >= 1000
  3. 0 pts for Lq < 1000

Note that an Lq=1500 satisfies both conditions 1) and 2) above since 1500 > 1000  AND 1500 < 2000.

Edited by dvader
Added confusing "resource amount" rules

"You need to conserve fuel, remember you need to land". Wait for correct phase angle? No! "You missed your launch window". OK, I'll launch now. "Oh, take this parking orbit". ... Uhh, I thought we wanted to conserve fuel, no?

Continue this nonsense for the rest of the mission. I also only got bronze. Landed in the crater about 100m from the target with 1000m/s dv left.

Took me a few attempts, built a Kerbalized Saturn V,  and I also had to use the tracking station to timewarp... completed all the objectives.... only to fail because it took too much time.

what mission builders?! You can't have it both ways.... CONSERVE FUEL....and oh, we want you do all this in just 4 days (or whatever it was).... and you need to launch from a high-latitude launchsite too...

Getting gold on this mission is all about speed and accuracy, but I've only gotten silver so far.

I launched straight into the plane change , and then within the same orbit, transfer to the Mun from the AN. Using RCS still within Kerbin's SOL, I fine tune the angle and PE to match the inclined orbit at the Mun. Hibernating and warping ahead to then perform the capture, inclination change at PE to match the prescribed orbit. Once the Mystery Goo is done, I alter the orbital path to fly over the landing coordinates and attempt a suicide burn landing with very little fuel left. I slowed down enough to save the probe core, which ended the mission with a silver score.

Anybody gotten gold on this?

On 2018-03-17 at 3:31 PM, zanie420 said:

Getting gold on this mission is all about speed and accuracy, but I've only gotten silver so far.

How many points did you get when you got silver? I tried for a long time to get 1000 pts for the first Kerbin Orbit but couldn't no matter how close I got (checked the save file after each attempt). Best attempt had a 0.02 inclination and Ap/Pe within about 50m but that still wasn't good enough. I was really confused so decided to figure out how it works Hyperediting my orbits to be exact. Funny thing is, I still can't figure out how to get get full points!

Here's my final score after cheating on every goal. I did NOT get Kerbin Orbit with Precision or Mun Orbit with Precision.

ZeWL81g.jpg

On 15.3.2018 at 4:45 PM, dvader said:

EDIT: 4) The Resource Amount scoring is REALLY weird. It is not about efficiency but about how much Lq you can haul into Mun orbit.

1. 1500 pts for Lq < 2000
  2. 1000 pts for Lq >= 1000
  3. 0 pts for Lq < 1000

Note that an Lq=1500 satisfies both conditions 1) and 2) above since 1500 > 1000  AND 1500 < 2000.

nuff said..

@zanie420 I'm probably going to give up for now and just wait a bit. After spending an evening trying to perfect Blue Mun but ending up debugging it instead, I don't see much point in trying until they fix it. There's not one but several errors or bugs in there preventing any attempt at improving and that's not exactly fun. If this had been an official Beta or Alpha version I would have been happy to debug it for them but now I supposedly bought a finished product which it clearly isn't.

@Hurzelgnurk Notice that it is even better than that. Depending on evaluation order it could mean:

• 0 - 999 Lq : Satisfies 1) and 3) so 0 or 1500 pts
  • 1000 - 1999 Lq : Satisfies 2) and 3) so 1000 or 1500 pts
  • 2000 Lq or more: Satisfies 2) so 1000 pts. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.