help me clean up my mod list

putnamto

i have a ton of mods, alot of them are broken so could anybody help me clean this out to just the must have mods? 

some that i have played with forevor and must stay are 
KER
mj
waypoint manager(currently broken for some reason :()
RCS aid
and the graphics mods.

im begining to think that things like Konstruction, and the lynx rovers are broken because i have so many mods and i would like to use Konstruction in particular, so whats safe to get rid of here and what do i have to keep?

5kNbVgv.jpg

i kind of turned into a kid at a candy shop when i first got ckan and started a new career, and now that im far enough that some of these mods would be useful they dont really work.

any advice?

Moving to Add-on Discussions.

I really don't think anyone else can help you, because this is a person-by-person thing.

One person's "must have" mod is another person's "don't really need" mod, and is yet a third person's "absolutely must not have" mod.

Nobody but you knows what's important to you, so you need to make the decisions yourself.  Just need to go through your mod list, uninstall any that are flat-out broken, and then (if you've still got too many and it's causing you memory problems or something) weed out any that you think you can live without.

29 minutes ago, Snark said:

Nobody but you knows what's important to you, so you need to make the decisions yourself.  Just need to go through your mod list, uninstall any that are flat-out broken, and then (if you've still got too many and it's causing you memory problems or something) weed out any that you think you can live without.

Im  really  just  trying  to  get  my  broken  mods  working.

Konstruction  and  way point  manager  in  particular.

With  my  mod  list  is  their  anything  that  might  conflict  with  these  two?

2 minutes ago, putnamto said:

Konstruction  and  way point  manager  in  particular.

With  my  mod  list  is  their  anything  that  might  conflict  with  these  two?

Again, you kinda need to sort that out yourself, because the person who's best equipped to debug what's sitting on a hard drive is the person whose hard drive it is.  There are plenty of friendly, helpful folks here, but "here's a big bag of random mods what are all the problems" is not something folks are going to be able to help with, much-- it's a huge snarled mass, with N2 possible interactions among them, especially since some of those mods might be individually broken, let alone worrying about the interactions.

Basically, if you've got a problem with a mod, try running with just that mod to see whether it works okay by itself.  If it doesn't, then the mod itself is broken, so make sure you have the most up-to-date version, and if you do, go check the mod's thread to see if it's a known issue.

If the mod works fine by itself but not when you have other stuff installed, then try re-installing a chunk of mods at a time until you find what's causing the problem.

Is it tedious?  Yes.  Is it a huge snarly mess?  Yes.  But that's what happens when you choose to install a gazillion mods:  you make your life more difficult when this sort of thing pops up.  :wink: 

1 minute ago, Snark said:

Again, you kinda need to sort that out yourself, because the person who's best equipped to debug what's sitting on a hard drive is the person whose hard drive it is.  There are plenty of friendly, helpful folks here, but "here's a big bag of random mods what are all the problems" is not something folks are going to be able to help with, much-- it's a huge snarled mass, with N2 possible interactions among them, especially since some of those mods might be individually broken, let alone worrying about the interactions.

Basically, if you've got a problem with a mod, try running with just that mod to see whether it works okay by itself.  If it doesn't, then the mod itself is broken, so make sure you have the most up-to-date version, and if you do, go check the mod's thread to see if it's a known issue.

If the mod works fine by itself but not when you have other stuff installed, then try re-installing a chunk of mods at a time until you find what's causing the problem.

Is it tedious?  Yes.  Is it a huge snarly mess?  Yes.  But that's what happens when you choose to install a gazillion mods:  you make your life more difficult when this sort of thing pops up.  :wink: 

ok thank you.

is their a way to know what mods will conflict with others using ckan? just so i dont end up installing something that wont work with something else in the future?

1 minute ago, putnamto said:

is their a way to know what mods will conflict with others using ckan? just so i dont end up installing something that wont work with something else in the future?

I have no idea, since I never use CKAN-- it just seems to me like an invitation for trouble, so I avoid it because I like to keep my life simple and easy.  :wink:  Perhaps some CKAN expert can answer here.

My vague understanding is that it will identify dependencies (i.e. "this mod requires this other mod in order to be able to run"), but I'm guessing it doesn't identify conflicts per se, just because that would be a technically difficult task to implement and prohibitively awkward to maintain.  I could be wrong, of course-- like I said, not a CKAN user.

I would ditch them all.

Start a completely stock Sandbox save, and just play around.  No money, science, or contracts to worry about.  When you miss a mod, add it back in and play a little while longer until you miss another one.

This will prune out the ones you don't really care about having, and should give you a pretty good clue about which one's the problem when something goes wrong.

11 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I would ditch them all.

Start a completely stock Sandbox save, and just play around.  No money, science, or contracts to worry about.  When you miss a mod, add it back in and play a little while longer until you miss another one.

This will prune out the ones you don't really care about having, and should give you a pretty good clue about which one's the problem when something goes wrong.

^^  Very sound advice indeed.

27 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I would ditch them all.

ive done this, but now when i try to download SVE ckan gives an error and crashes :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.