Everything Has SAS?

I tried searching google and the forums for this, but couldn't find anything, so here goes.

Everything seems to have full SAS. I noticed it with the Stayputnik, and now Bill (a non-pilot) in a lander can. I'm running a 100% stock game, freshly downloaded from Steam. I'm using 1.4.2 + Making History DLC. If I start a new sandbox game, open the VAB, add a single Stayputnik and then launch, I can activate SAS and can select all retrograde, radial, normal, etc. headings. The Stayputnik still doesn't have a reaction wheel, however.

It also seems to happen on previous game versions, including my theoretically untouched 1.2 folder that I set aside before updating to 1.4, my heavily modded folder,

Is there some kind of setting saved elsewhere (such as Documents or the registry--PlayerPrefs come to mind) that I'm just missing that could cause this? I've never seen this happen before, and am very surprised it happens across installs. Am I missing something obvious, or is this a bug?

Edit: Currently downloading 1.2 to see if it happens there, but I'm getting tired and might not check back here until later.

Edited by DarkDrai

6 hours ago, DarkDrai said:

Am I missing something obvious

Unless you have a mod that adds SAS to all parts, I'm afraid it might be this. 

But to double check, build a simple craft with the MK1 pod, and throw in a lvl 0 Pilot.   You should only have one option, hold attitude, while engaging SAS.    If you have more, there is something amiss. 

https://imgur.com/hxQ7zZ8

This is in 1.2 with Experience off (kerbals all max level).

https://imgur.com/OLkHjEq

This is in 1.4 with Experience off.

It seems that by turning off Experience, everyone gets all SAS modes, even probes. But turn it on (so that Kerbals have to level up), and everything works as intended. I don't remember this behavior before, and it really changes how I choose my difficulty settings...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.