[Min KSP 1.12.2] Kerbal Flying Saucers - Build Flying Saucers in KSP!

Angelo Kerman

15 hours ago, Secretkeeper626 said:

What about the plans for the mothership serving as a colony deployment vessel? Were those scrapped somewhere along the line or has it been that long since I check here and it was stealthy completed?

3 hours ago, AmanitaVerna said:

The big saucer is still tagged like it's incomplete or in beta or something, isn't it?

I burned out on the mothership a few years ago. The IVAs were killing me. Since then, my license for 3DS MAX got too expensive to renew and my files for the mothership- and most of my other projects- are in MAX format. I have been learning Blender but that is slow going due to other commitments. 

At this point I would need to start over with a new mothership, but that depends on time and interest. The reality is that the saucer shape has limited utility. I did experiment with a new saucer shape based on the Mk2 form factor but that is more a replacement for the existing Flapjack design.

The funny thing is that the Flapjack was originally a proof of concept for making saucer shapes fly in KSP but I also hedged my bets with it as being the only saucer design that I made in case I didn’t complete the mothership. It turned out to be the case.

If I were to start over again today I would make a saucer design similar to to remade Jupiter 2 from the Netflix Lost In Space show, but one that had more configuration options.

Hard to believe that I did this a year ago but a lot has happened since then! Here is my first attempt at revamping the flying saucer:

OukZut6.png

u9wqK9N.png

MXDPnvz.png

aoDOZPs.png

Originally I intended this for KSP2 but given the state of that game I may revisit it as a “KFS Mk2” mod instead…

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2024 at 1:57 AM, Syczek said:

@Angelo Kerman Regarding S.A.F.E.R how it suppose to generate power?? Since there is no thread for wbi tools here,i just ask here, and how to properly put legs on saucer??

It works with either Classic Stock Resources or Community Resources Pack. Install either one of those. If that doesn't work then find the 000WildBlueTools/Templates/CRP/MM_SAFER.txt file and give it the .cfg extension.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps this is interference from other mods but whenever I'm in a stable orbit the boost mode for the gravitic engine is forced on and I cant turn it off. My first guess for a potential interfering mod would be Blueshift

On 6/6/2024 at 9:16 PM, Major_Rafael said:

Perhaps this is interference from other mods but whenever I'm in a stable orbit the boost mode for the gravitic engine is forced on and I cant turn it off. My first guess for a potential interfering mod would be Blueshift

Crazy Mode won't work when you're in orbit. You can only use it when suborbital or flying. It should auto-disable but if it isn't then there's a bug that I need to fix.

On 6/11/2024 at 5:32 PM, Angelo Kerman said:

Crazy Mode won't work when you're in orbit. You can only use it when suborbital or flying. It should auto-disable but if it isn't then there's a bug that I need to fix.

not crazy mode, the mode that increases the acceleration to 2000m/^2 

On 6/14/2024 at 7:24 PM, Major_Rafael said:

not crazy mode, the mode that increases the acceleration to 2000m/^2 

Hm, that's odd! Can you post a video showing that? I just tried myself and am seeing expected behavior. I can turn Boost Mode on and off without issue while in orbit, and acceleration works as expected. Here's a video of that:

• 3 weeks later...

Kerbal Flying Saucers 1.3.0 is now available:

- Hover GUI no longer appears when disabling the UI for screenshots.
- Updated hover control keyboard bindings:
CTRL + H: Toggle Hover Mode
Translate up: Increase vertical speed
Translate down: Decrease vertical speed
Brakes: kill vertical speed
- Terrain collision avoidance can now be toggled in the Kerbal Actuators GUI dialog or the Part Action Window.
- Hover GUI controls now organized under the "Hover" group.
- Crazy Mode GUI controls now organized under the "Crazy Mode" group.
- Fixed overly sensitive hover keyboard controls for vertical speed.
- Fixed engine plume effects appearing when engine isn't running.
- Fixed RCS plume effects appearing when the RCS isn't enabled.
- Fixed boost mode not being disabled in some situations.
- Fixed issue where the gravitic engine failed to detect when it was airborne.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ODEN said:

Has this mod been updated to the newest KSP and KSP2? 

1. I'm aware of no mod that works for both KSP and KSP2. 
2. The current version of the game is 1.12.5. The title of this thread says 1.12.2. However, 1.12.x is basically guaranteed to be compatible, and mods going back as far as 1.8.x have found to generally be compatible with everything since. 

On 8/25/2024 at 2:43 PM, EndAllFilms said:

Is it possible that there is a craft where you launch it vertically by rocket instead of using SSTO?

Yes, you can launch the smaller saucer vertically. One way to do that is to put it inside a large fairing. Here is an example of how:

zvCA5Nn.png

You can also use the Mk2 engine plate that's included with the mod:

ntD7rFK.png

14 hours ago, ODEN said:

Has this mod been updated to the newest KSP and KSP2? 

Kerbal Flying Saucers requires a minimum of KSP 1.12.2, and works just fine in KSP 1.12.5. I have no plans to make the mod work in KSP 2 given that the game is essentially a dead end at this point.