Courage and Stupidity

SpacedCowboy

17 hours ago, Lisias said:

From my experience, I came to conclusion that:

• Courage will determine how dangerous the situation is before the Kerbal start to freak out.
  • Stupidity will determine how early the dangerous situation will be detected.

'How dangerous' doesn't really describe it properly. What defines "danger" from the game's perspective? A suicide burn could be considered dangerous, but it's supposed to be happening, so there shouldn't be any fear. Falling at a slow enough speed for parachutes to work is fine, but the ship doesn't have parachutes. Despite this, a kerbal could still have delight because he's descending onto another world. We just don't know what alters these expressions and how, at all.

I guess it wouldn't be so hard to test things by just cheating in kerbals with set courage and stupidity values. I'll find some time to test this in a sandbox and reply back to this thread. I still want to see suggestions or coding proof though from anyone who can provide it.

2 hours ago, intelliCom said:

'How dangerous' doesn't really describe it properly. What defines "danger" from the game's perspective?

It was of the part you didn't quoted : It appears to be some equation with altitude and speed of the Kebal on the Frame of Rederence. 

I had Kerbals fraking out on rolling a aircraft before taking off, and then it started to smile as the craft climbed.

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

It was of the part you didn't quoted : It appears to be some equation with altitude and speed of the Kebal on the Frame of Rederence. 

I had Kerbals fraking out on rolling a aircraft before taking off, and then it started to smile as the craft climbed.

Still, we don't know exactly what alters these expressions and how. It seems one way, but I don't feel like it's documented properly. I'll return to the thread when I perform some tests.

1 hour ago, intelliCom said:

I'll return to the thread when I perform some tests.

That will be so good as mine. :)

you will never know exactly what alters the expressions without reverse engineering the code.

But you can get some good inferrings by doing tests.

I wonder if there're more than one algorithm for this: one for walking, one for atmospheric flight, other for orbits or perhaps another for EVA.

Edited by Lisias
Tyops, as usulla...

• 2 years later...

Found this video that breaks some myths about Kerbals. Short conclusion: courage affects how Kerbals freak out from explosions and gee forces, and it does increase their G-tolerance,  badass increases G-tolerance even more.  Stupidity affects how Kerbals react to moving over the surface at neckbreaking velocities or spinning at vomit-inducing rpm (the higher - the more they enjoy it).

P.S. G-tolerance displayed at the astronaut complex doesn't match Kerbal's actual G-tolerance due to a bug. Fully brave stupid badass level 5 pilot can handle much more Gs than indicated in the Kerbal's selection menu. There is a patch in KSP Community Fixes to fix that.