why wont these dock?

i litterally can press the two docks together to the point where they are touching and nothing happens, the little green lights on the ports start flashing and it acts magnetic for a second then they just touch and nothing happens.

ive tried to force them together by touching and thrusting prograde towards the port and nothing.

9aNITMw.jpg

Did you try pulling the vessels further away so the ports can reset?

Sometimes after a failed docking you need to get away and start over for them to work.

Maybe that will help.

Also i noticed you have some mods, i remember one mod that made ports to be aligned even in rotation to dock.

Edited by Boyster

2 minutes ago, Boyster said:

Try pulling the vessels further away so the ports can reset, maybe that will help.

tried that.

i read about somebody else having a similar problem and somebody said it was the parts coliders, do you think maybe having that light their, or the radial tanks my have an invisible mess thats stopping it?

Generally, this is a collider problem. The "colliders" for parts can extend beyond their visible surfaces. If the colliders for the parts near the docking port bump into the other ship before the docking ports fully attach, then the docking ports will refuse to fully attach.

Just using the "move" tool in the VAB to extend the docking port a tiny bit further forward would almost certainly solve the problem.

do you think maybe having that light there, or the radial tanks my have an invisible mess thats stopping it?

Yup.

Edited by bewing

Could be but i also know for sure that sometimes docking ports get bugged and the only way to fix it, is to launch the bugged vessel again.

I would suggest using the alt+f12 cheat menu to launch and rendervouz the same vessel again and if that doesnt work remove any parts close to the docking port and try it one more time.

Edit, and what bewing said :D.

Edited by Boyster

1 minute ago, Boyster said:

Could be but i also know for sure that sometimes docking ports get bugged and the only way to fix it, is to launch the bugged vessel again.

I would suggest using the alt+f12 cheat menu to launch and rendervouz the same vessel again and if that doesnt work remove any parts close to the docking port and try it one more time.

Edit, and what bewing said :D.

thank you guys, for once i feel like im not shooting in the dark with this game lol.

thanks for the idea of the cheat menu though, i was thinking i would have to make my edits, fly them to orbit, rendevouz  and try again just to find out i need to tweak them again.

moved the tanks up, moved the ports out, still same results.

done playing ksp before i break my loveing keyboard.

this is litterally the only loveing video game that wastes weeks of my time designing crap, testing crap, and tweaking crap to find some stupid loveing bug, litterally everything in this loveing game is a fight against bugs.

im begining to think the youtubers that play this just cheat their crap around because its looking nearly loveing impossible to do anything.
2o14P55.png

Edited by putnamto

Try launching a simple vessel with a docking port just to see if it can dock there.

If its still not possible then it might be these two things:

1)The docking port you are trying to dock is bugged, stucked.

There are two solutions to this, one is editing the port to switch it to ''Ready'' state(try google to find how, it might be tricky) or launch the bugged vessel again(alt+f12 helps).

2)One of your mods that has to do with docking and ports is interfering for some reason(the closest to mind comes to a mod that requires the ports to be alligned even in the rotation axis).

Edited by Boyster

i docked the two ships in the vab, the exact same loveing ships i have the problem with, cheated them to orbit, undocked, seperated and they redocked no problem.

i pop back to the ship i didnt cheat and still same problem, they just bounce off of eachother.

15 minutes ago, Boyster said:

2)One of your mods is interfering for some reason(the closest to mind comes to a mod that requires the ports to be alligned even in the rotation axis).

the only part changing mods i have are vens stock revamp, konstruction, and dock rotate., the rest is mostly visual and sound.

This is the best i can find if you are experiencing an old bug(usually happens when you quicksave in the middle of the undocking/docking procedure):

Go to your saves folder and open with notepad persistent.sfs(make sure you back it up first!!!!)

Then ctrl+f put the name of the vessel and find the specific docking port.Here are some quick instructions of what you need to change.If the port is undocked and not in ''ready state'' then its bugged.

Note that its probably gonna be bugged forever so after undocking you would have to do this all over again.

Edit: Scroll down in this page, the link yeah it doesnt work but in the end there are few instructions.

Edited by Boyster

3 minutes ago, Boyster said:

This is the best i can find if you just experience an old bug(usually happens when you quicksave in the middle of the undocking/docking procedure):

Go to your saves folder and open with notepad persistent.sfs(make sure you back it up first!!!!)

Then ctrl+f put the name of the vessel and find the specific docking port.Here are some quick instructions of what you need to change.If the port is undocked and not in ''ready state'' then its bugged.

yeah, im just going to unninstal and go play a game that doesnt require hours of bug fixing on my part for minutes of play.

I feel your frustration and i had my share of it recently but games have bugs, the question is if we can fix/overpass them relatively easy.

You have an '''easy'' solution, cheat to orbit the ships(one by one not docked together) and boom, it will be fixed and hopefully never happen again.

Also any outdated mods might cause problems so thats always in the program.

Edited by Boyster

5 minutes ago, Boyster said:

I know you are frustrated but game have bugs, it happens.

You have an easy solution, cheat to orbit the ships(one by one not docked together) and boom, it will be fixed and propably never happen again.

Also any outdated mods might cause problems so thats always in the program.

this many bugs though? every little detail is somehow bugged, from docking ports, to things losing their nodes in the VAB, to the wheels on my craft deciding to randomly change to inverted(but still saying normal)

im sorry, im just extremely frustrated with this game, as always, every weekend i try to get some play time in but its usually just finding something else thats broken and sitting on this forum trying to find a solution. 

and your link leads to a reddit page that has a link to a tutorial on it, but the tutorial doesnt exist.

Edited by putnamto

Last weeks been so rough for me as well.I haven't touched the game until 1.4.3.It was so so bad.The recent update though, gave me hope and energy for this game again.

Its one of these high pain high reward situations :confused: .

I hope it happens the same with you as well.

Edited by Boyster

3 minutes ago, Boyster said:

Do you have SAS enabled the moment they magnetize?Maybe just maybe that is the problem.I am out of ideas.

ive tried every combination of sas on and off with both craft. im going to shelve it for now, thanks for the help.

i dont shelve things for very long because i have no life.

anyways, i was able to successfully dock a different module to the modified station core(raised the radial tanks and pulled out the docking port slightly)

and, well ive ran into another slightly different problem, dock rotate doesnt work anymore somehow(it worked in all my tests on the ground) the rotate: enable button is their, but if i enable it theirs no rotate clockwise/counter clockwise option, so i had to undock, rotate and redock a few times to get the module in the orientation i wanted it in, no big deal.

and an oddity i noticed, these are all construction ports, and when i weld the two ports that i had pulled out slightly they weld fine........buuuuuut they arent flush against eachother, theirs an odd gap beetween the two parts, ill live with it though.

success!!!(sorta, but not perfect, my ocd will kick in next weekend and make me start all over because its not perfect)
c5PYKAS.png

and the weird gap
OCUIKQU.png?1

Two issues that come to mind that might solve your original issue:  

1.3.1 Konstruction ports sometimes need to be rotated to dock IME.  So you can line up perfectly, but if they're off 90*, they won't dock.    Playing with the rotation settings will fix this.     Also, Konstruction ports are not compatible with regular ports.   

11 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Two issues that come to mind that might solve your original issue:  

1.3.1 Konstruction ports sometimes need to be rotated to dock IME.  So you can line up perfectly, but if they're off 90*, they won't dock.    Playing with the rotation settings will fix this.     Also, Konstruction ports are not compatible with regular ports.   

lol, i did learn that on my successful attempt.

range was super helpful to change.
force with too high of a setting makes the docking vessel speed up to the point of making the other ship spin out of control when they try to dock. 
rotation, i couldnt figure out rotation, no matter what setting i had it on it would always make the docking vessel to turn 180 degrees and dock upside down.
and all the other settings caused the kraken to destroy all i hold dear.

its gotta be something to do with the coliders, i tried sending up the L shaped craft again today and i get the same problem, the long skinny solar array docked fine and its just a long beam, so its got to be with the design of the other craft

the mission isnt lost yet though, im going to fly individual mk1 cabins, or structural fueselages and link them to the horizontal docking ports in hopes that it is a collider issue.

so the plan,
fly this thing up to my station, dock number 1 to the station
detach from number 1, rotate station 90 degrees, dock number two to the station.
detach from number 2, rotate station 90 degrees, dock number three.
weld ports, profit.

now before i launch, can anybody see a major flaw or error that will lead to failure?

gNT4uQW.png

Edited by putnamto

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.