Backups of KSP will not load the dlc.

So i installed ksp Monday and made a backup yesterday so i could roll back to 1.3.1, but when i tried running ksp 1.4.2 from the folder where my backup is loaded my game runs but it will not load the dlc (the game thinks the dlc is not installed), so i tried copying the files from my backup back into the steam folder but all that does is make steam try and redownload the files, i went into properties and set it to version 1.4.2 but with no luck.

I just want to know if im doing anything wrong or if its steams fault that nothing is working.

13 hours ago, MB62 said:

So i installed ksp Monday and made a backup yesterday so i could roll back to 1.3.1, but when i tried running ksp 1.4.2 from the folder where my backup is loaded my game runs but it will not load the dlc (the game thinks the dlc is not installed), so i tried copying the files from my backup back into the steam folder but all that does is make steam try and redownload the files, i went into properties and set it to version 1.4.2 but with no luck.

I just want to know if im doing anything wrong or if its steams fault that nothing is working.

I am a bit confused.First of all, the backup is two folders, gamedata(that has the mods) and saves(that has the careers), except if you edited more files.

Secondly if you want to have two separate versions installed in your pc, maybe try having the 1.3.1 outside steam to avoid any problems with the dlc.

So revert to 1.3.1 in steam, copy everything somewhere else, then select in steam the version you want.

Edit: Hmm you might have to uncheck the dlc when you select Kerbal in steam library, in case it installs even with 1.3 and causes problems? Not sure.

Edited by Boyster

Well, it could be either a problem at your end or at steam's end. If you get a working download of 1.4.x with the proper copy of the DLC for that version of 1.4 -- then the 64bit version of everything should run in your download directory, and you should test that once.

After you have checked that everything is running in the download directory, then you can copy or move that entire download directory to a backup location of your choice. Then you can test it in the backup location. Everything should still work.

In general, to do a major downgrade you should clear everything out of your download directory -- and not try to downgrade on top of a higher version that's already loaded on your disk. If you don't clear things out, then funny interactions can start to happen that might make you think the game is not working.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.