NASA 3D printed Mars habitat concepts

tater

https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/centennial_challenges/3DPHab/five-teams-win-a-share-of-100000-in-virtual-modeling-stage

Entries in order of judgement by NASA (I really like the 4th place one (the narrator might have something to do with that!):

The third entry is interesting in that it builds around a landed stage, which I think is interesting, though the windows make no sense from a radiation standpoint.

Edited by tater

These all look like nice habitats (although they look a little too "IKEA" to be realistic, way too pretty) but is there anything about them which leverages the particular advantages of 3D-printing construction methods?

5 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

These all look like nice habitats (although they look a little too "IKEA" to be realistic, way too pretty) but is there anything about them which leverages the particular advantages of 3D-printing construction methods?

I think all of them do in some fashion. I think the primary benefit---mass savings in transit---obviously revolves around radiation protection. The 4th entry admirably deals with natural light, and radiation protection, I think. I posted this crappy image a long time ago in a thread about KSP habitat mods I'd like to see:

ViJPe4V.jpg

If you put a hab "near" a crater wall, you can have large openings for windows with an overhang, because the nearby crater wall or hill will block all line of sight to galactic cosmic rays.

I know people have been working on lunar and martian concrete concepts for decades now (with simulants). The space civil engineering meetings have had many papers. I think 3d printing tech makes this more likely.

16 minutes ago, Cassel said:

Why not start with the basic igloo under which the tunnels will be drilled?

I'd think any of these above ground, 3d printed habs could be easily combined with below grade stuff. The contest was specifically for additive manufacturing in situ, though.

The 4th entry uses expandable modules, and the 3d printing is a radiation protective shell, not a pressure vessel (unlike the other designs). I think for early habs, this is more feasible.

The 1st place winner has a really interesting concept in that build chamber for a controlled environment, though.

• 7 months later...

This thread was about that contest, but it turns out the development has continued, and I might edit the title (since all the vids, etc are here) to reflect 3D printed habitats generally, not just Mars.

I'm partially interested in this on the off chance any people doing habitat mods for KSP want to have some inspiration.

Some pics to add some real content:

teamzopherus_3dph.jpg

TeamMASSp1-614x434.jpg

TeamN3ST_ENRready.jpg

nasa-3d-printed-habitat-mars-competition

lavahive.jpg

3026_14-11-2018_2075.jpg

(though all these are shown on Mars)

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2018 at 10:03 AM, tater said:

https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/centennial_challenges/3DPHab/five-teams-win-a-share-of-100000-in-virtual-modeling-stage

Entries in order of judgement by NASA (I really like the 4th place one (the narrator might have something to do with that!):

The third entry is interesting in that it builds around a landed stage, which I think is interesting, though the windows make no sense from a radiation standpoint.

The last one seem to be the most practical for a getting from earth to mars perspective. I think NASA should go with that one and then connect a bunch of them to make a full base. 

On 7/24/2018 at 10:35 AM, tater said:

I think all of them do in some fashion. I think the primary benefit---mass savings in transit---obviously revolves around radiation protection. The 4th entry admirably deals with natural light, and radiation protection, I think. I posted this crappy image a long time ago in a thread about KSP habitat mods I'd like to see:

ViJPe4V.jpg

If you put a hab "near" a crater wall, you can have large openings for windows with an overhang, because the nearby crater wall or hill will block all line of sight to galactic cosmic rays.

I know people have been working on lunar and martian concrete concepts for decades now (with simulants). The space civil engineering meetings have had many papers. I think 3d printing tech makes this more likely.

On a technicality, It is tiny and ugly that it is just a test and that will be a great way to test these bases

• 3 weeks later...
Spoiler
On 7/24/2018 at 2:03 PM, tater said:

Entrées dans l'ordre de jugement de la NASA (j'aime beaucoup la 4ème place (le narrateur pourrait avoir quelque chose à voir avec ça!):

La troisième entrée est intéressante dans la mesure où elle s'articule autour d'une étape au sol, ce qui, à mon avis, est intéressant, bien que les fenêtres n'aient aucun sens du point de vue des radiations.

I love a number 3

Edited by DNKKING

Could people try not to quote whole posts when they respond to them, please? :)

Just snip the relevent parts if there is a specific thing in someone's post that you want to address...
Loading the thread with all these full quotes is heck on mobile... :P

On 7/24/2018 at 2:03 PM, tater said:

Entrées dans l'ordre de jugement de la NASA (j'aime beaucoup la 4ème place (le narrateur pourrait avoir quelque chose à voir avec ça!):

La troisième entrée est intéressante dans la mesure où elle s'articule autour d'une étape au sol, ce qui, à mon avis, est intéressant, bien que les fenêtres n'aient aucun sens du point de vue des radiations.

Ok

Edited by DNKKING

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.