[1.6.0] SystemFlip 1.2 and Kraken's Embodiment 1.1.1: Muck with the stock solar system!

Mythical Donuts

Today and yesterday I made two mods for KSP, both just muck with the stock system.

SystemFlip:

https://spacedock.info/mod/1950/SystemFlip

License: MIT

SystemFlip rearranges and flips the Kerbol system and moves the planets around. it also changes the gravity a bit on one planet.

Kraken's Embodiment:

https://spacedock.info/mod/1952/Kraken's Embodiment

License: MIT

Kraken's Embodiment changes a couple planets in the most ridiculous and dumb ways imaginable, making them into floating blobs of unreasonableness and stupidity. if its buggy thats the whole point.

Requires Kopernicus (Not bundled with download)

Edited by Mythical Donuts
updating

So, first of all huge congratulations on taking a step into modding - that first leap is definitely the hardest.

That said, I have no idea what your mods actually do. I gather from the fact it needs Kopernicus that it's some kind of planet pack/planet modifications, but honestly - you need a description, I have no idea if I want this.

1 minute ago, severedsolo said:

So, first of all huge congratulations on taking a step into modding - that first leap is definitely the hardest.

That said, I have no idea what your mods actually do. I gather from the fact it needs Kopernicus that it's some kind of planet pack/planet modifications, but honestly - you need a description, I have no idea if I want this.

sorry I'm tired and suffered from a case of being an absolute moron I will edit it now

Hello @Mythical Donuts, and welcome to the modding community!  :)

Glad to see that you're publishing your mods!  There are a few rules, however, that everyone needs to follow when posting a mod, and you've got some issues with your mods that need to be fixed in order to be allowed to post here.  Additional description / instructions in spoiler, concerning what's wrong and how to fix it.

Spoiler

You've got a few problems with your mods that need to be addressed.  Specifically, you need to follow the rules about licensingCan you fix these issues, please?

Here are the rules which you're not following at the moment:

• Every mod you publish needs to have a license.
  • The license needs to be included, in full (i.e. the full text of the license) in a LICENSE file that's included with the downloadable .zip file and installed with the mod.
  • You need to identify the license (by name is sufficient, you don't need the full legalese text) anywhere you offer a link for download, such as in the OP of this thread and on your SpaceDock pages.

So, the specific things you need to fix:

• Your SpaceDock page for Kraken's Embodiment doesn't specify a license.  You've just put the text "I really dunno steal and modify my files if you want I'm uncreative"... sorry, that won't cut it.  You need to identify an actual license.  Yes, I know it's a hassle and that you'd probably prefer to just post your stuff and not have to think about licenses at all; but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.  You have to have an actual license, and you have to think it through.  (If you're confused picking one, feel free to PM me and I'm happy to chat about some of the options, if you like.)
  • You haven't identified a license in the OP of this thread.
  • You haven't included a downloadable LICENSE file with the mod.

If figuring this stuff out is a hassle, and you'd like to see a working example of licensing in action, it may be helpful to look at my Snarkiverse mod.  Details in another spoiler.

Spoiler

Snarkiverse is a mod that reshuffles the solar system (not all that different from what you're doing.)  ;)

So, let me walk you through the licensing-related stuff in this mod.

The first thing I had to do was choose a license.  I happened to pick the MIT License for this mod.  That's a fairly "wide open" mod that lets people do practically anything they want.  They can copy it, download it, put it up for download on their own websites, modify it to suit themselves and publish their own versions, use it for commercial purposes, anything at all that they like to do.  The only requirement is that they have to keep my name on it and give me credit for it if they use it-- that's all.

So, once I picked my license, how do I get that all set up in my mod and my download pages and stuff?  Here's the deal:

Next, I need to identify it on my forum thread for the mod.  That's easy.  If you look at the OP of my thread, you'll see this:

On 5/17/2018 at 9:25 AM, Snark said:

^ There, see where it says "License: MIT"?  That's it.  That's all that's needed.  Easy, huh?  :)

Next, I need to put the license on my SpaceDock page for the mod.  That part's easy-- just edit my mod in SpaceDock and put "MIT" in the field for "License".  Ta dah, done.

Finally, I need to include a LICENSE file in the downloadable .zip file that people use when installing the mod, so that the installed mod has it sitting there in the folder.  For this part, I just copied the LICENSE file for the MIT license from its official website, inserted my name and the date, and there ya go.  Here's what the content of the file looks like.  If you try downloading the Snarkiverse mod from the SpaceDock page and look inside the .zip file, you'll see it sitting there.

...So there, that's it, that's the whole deal.

1. Pick a license.
  2. Refer to it in the OP of your forum thread.
  3. Refer to it on your SpaceDock page.
  4. Include the full legalese text of the license in a LICENSE file in your mod's download.

Thank you for your prompt attention in addressing the licensing concerns.  We understand it's a hassle, but alas, it's necessary.

5 minutes ago, Mythical Donuts said:

Thanks! I will change it now.

By the way:  I don't think it's an actual rule, but threads here in "Add-on Releases" normally follow a standard naming convention, which looks like,

"[<KSP compatible version>] <mod name> <mod version><short description>

For example, you might like to title this thread something like,

[1.4.5]  SystemFlip 1.0 and Kraken's Embodiment 1.0:  Rearrange the stock solar system

...or something like that.

Simply titling it "I made some mods!" doesn't tell anyone what the mods are or what they do, so it's not super useful to see when someone's reading the list of topics in Add-on Releases.  ;)

(People skimming Add-on Releases generally want to know, 1. will it work on my version of KSP?, and 2. is it a newer mod version than I already have?, and 3. what does it do?  Formatting the name of the topic like that tells them everything they need to know, in a standard/familiar format that makes it easy to read.)

Just something to think about.

45 minutes ago, Mythical Donuts said:

I should probably know this stuff, I have been looking at these forums for around a year now. :/

Believe me, you're far from the first person to miss a spot here or there when it comes to setting up the licensing for a mod.  ;)

No worries, it happens.  No harm done as long as it gets fixed.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.