[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

TWR is based on the mass at the start of a stage in the VAB (the lowest it'll be) and is set at the current mass in flight.

Version 1.0's Build Engineer is completely part less, and a feature like that will not be implemented in 0.6 due to it's already in the next major release. :D

Please make it optional. If it's forced into all command pods I will stop using it.

Please make it optional. If it's forced into all command pods I will stop using it.

I for one would like the partless version. It's one less part on some of my crafts and it is an ugly part that often conflicts with the overall aesthetics of many of my vessels.

Version 1.0 is very unobtrusive, the window size is reduced, as well as you can show/hide the entire thing by clicking a button in the corner, no longer having to right-click on your Engineer part hidden beneath fairings and other parts.

It is not forced onto any command pods or any parts, it is now a feature of the editor. Only the Flight Engineer requires a part for use outside of the editor because I realise that many people only want the VAB info and not the flight info. I've developed it to be as stock feeling and unobtrusive as possible. Go back a few posts and I've linked the GitHub repository with instructions on how to download and install it. Give it a twirl and then report back your findings. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised :D

Old MM cfg will still work to add flightengineer?

Also - as a self-proclamed tester of 1.0 :wink: - there seems to be a problem with ProcFairings:. The parts do not get subtracted and TWR/dV are shown in a strange way depending on where I put the fairings in staging.

Edit: OK, it really is not finished. :D

But I L.O.V.E. that it hides when opening action groups menu in VAB! :kiss:

Edited by KerbMav

It is not forced onto any command pods or any parts, it is now a feature of the editor. Only the Flight Engineer requires a part for use outside of the editor because I realise that many people only want the VAB info and not the flight info. I've developed it to be as stock feeling and unobtrusive as possible. Go back a few posts and I've linked the GitHub repository with instructions on how to download and install it. Give it a twirl and then report back your findings. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised :D

Perfecto Abosolutement Splenderino Enough Wordissimo

I'm having a weird problem, and I apologize if it's already been answered, but I didn't find anything similar on a quick search through the thread. Anytime I dock ships with flight engineer chips, my game freezes. KSP never actually crashes, it just locks up, so there's no crash log. I went back, added KAS grab funtionality to the chips, then EVA'd and removed them before trying again from the save, and was able to dock just fine once I had removed the chips. For the time being, I've installed VOID to use in flight and just use the build engineer, but I'm hoping this is a known problem with an easy fix, rather than some strange conflict with one of my many mods. Oh, I'm using the v0.6.14 release.

I'm having a weird problem, and I apologize if it's already been answered, but I didn't find anything similar on a quick search through the thread. Anytime I dock ships with flight engineer chips, my game freezes. KSP never actually crashes, it just locks up, so there's no crash log. I went back, added KAS grab funtionality to the chips, then EVA'd and removed them before trying again from the save, and was able to dock just fine once I had removed the chips. For the time being, I've installed VOID to use in flight and just use the build engineer, but I'm hoping this is a known problem with an easy fix, rather than some strange conflict with one of my many mods. Oh, I'm using the v0.6.14 release.

Try turning off the VES info. I have the same issue.

Cybutek, great job on KE 1, love the new button to show / hide the UI and the part overlay.

With it being so easy to show and hide in the VAB have you thought about having it included with all command pods by default in flight, but using a similar button the VAB to easily turn it on and off. The button could go in the same general area much like the button used for Kerbal Alarm Clock. You could even have it switched off by default.

I use KER for all the information I might need in the game, keep the goodness coming!

A question/suggestion, I have no idea if this is viable/helpful or already done by another mod. Is there a way for the building engineer to also display the ship resources in the VAB/SPH (for example, how much electricity, fuel etc you have?). I think it would make building even better!

I use KER for all the information I might need in the game, keep the goodness coming!

A question/suggestion, I have no idea if this is viable/helpful or already done by another mod. Is there a way for the building engineer to also display the ship resources in the VAB/SPH (for example, how much electricity, fuel etc you have?). I think it would make building even better!

It is definitely do-able. Resource units and weights of resources are calculated and shown with the Build Engineer overlay in 1.0 already, so all the code is there. The only reason I've not structured it into a nice list is space, and figuring out a position for it that is out of the way. There's just so much info that could be displayed that the hard part isn't getting it, but finding a place to put it. If it will require another window then it will be a no, if it requires another button then a no again. But perhaps if it can be placed somewhere out of the way in the overlay, maybe bottom left with the rest of the details, it's feasible.

For the Flight Engineer, all the readouts are component based in 1.0, so it should be really simple without having to worry about space concerns too much. But I've got to be mindful that many people still wont edit the information or customise it, even if there is a big "EDIT" button. They'll still complain that there's too much information or the windows are too big, even though the feature to turn information on and off has been available for ages now. On the other hand if it's off by default, people just wont realise that it's there. But I'd rather have stuff as nice little surprises for people who take the time to look, than not have it at all :D

Hey cybutek, any hope of getting support for engines with corrected thrust (i.e. thrust scales with Isp so fuel flow is constant, and sea level TWR != vac twr)?

You can check if an engine has a ModuleEngineConfigs or ModuleHybridEngine on it.

That is something I'll be looking into when re-factoring the simulation code. :)

I tried 1.0 today and like it a lot so far!

One small request from me would be that I would like to see the orbital inclination with a sign (+/-), because that would make it easier to match your orbital inclination to something you know the value for.

Is there instructions for this ? eg: explanation of isp values and delta-v values so I can get a better idea of the data im looking at? Thanks

ISP means how efficient your engine is. The higher the less fuel it's gonna use for the same time. There's a balance between thrust and ISP and the mass of your ship (even if you have insane ISP, if your thrust is horrible you might not get much more dV out of it).

Delta-v is pretty easy to read, you need 4500 for orbit, no more than 2k for an interplanetary transfer.

Rendezvous tab:

Phase angle is the angle between your origin planet and your destination. If you're orbiting kerbin, that would be the angle between your ship and kerbin's moons. If the target is a planet, it's the angle between kerbin and that planet.

Angle to pro/retrograde is the angle between your ship and the origin planets prograde/retrograde. This is used to specify when to execute ejection burns.

Use ksp.olex.biz to find all this data, then look at the info and use it. Plan it with a maneuver node to be sure of course.

Not sure if this is the right place to make bug reports, but I just had an odd experience trying to get the engineer plugin to work in career mode. The parts were visible but unusable in the assembly building, and I was told to go buy em from the R&D department. Purchasing them didn't make the parts useable, and going back into the R&D dept showed that the original 3 engineer parts I'd purchased were still there, but *another* 3 had appeared that needed to be purchased. This repeated a couple of times, and occurred in new career mode games. I'm not the only person to have spotted this, but I didn't turn up any solutions.

I eventually blew away my KSP install including all plugins and saves and what have you, did a fresh install with the engineer as the only plugin, and the parts were immediately available in career mode, without needing to be purchased. So that's nice.

Seems like there's some conflict with pre-.22 parts or game state.

Not sure if this is the right place to make bug reports, but I just had an odd experience trying to get the engineer plugin to work in career mode. The parts were visible but unusable in the assembly building, and I was told to go buy em from the R&D department. Purchasing them didn't make the parts useable, and going back into the R&D dept showed that the original 3 engineer parts I'd purchased were still there, but *another* 3 had appeared that needed to be purchased. (...)

Was it maybe this?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/18230-0-22-Kerbal-Engineer-Redux-v0-6-1-4?p=718773&viewfull=1#post718773

It was indeed, thanks! Musta missed that one on my archive binge, or asked the wrong questions of google. Sorta thing that could benefit from a note in the plugin's readme or something, but I guess its easy enough to sort out once you know what to ask.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.