[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

MechJeb has "Delta-V Expended" as one of its displays, not sure how accurate it is, though. I'm no programmer, but it seems to me that using the mass flow rates and current Isp in each frame could give an accurate calculation of the dV expended in that frame. I'd imagine that there would be some performance overhead (one of the reasons I'm using MJ less and less).

Yes, it should work in vacuum but I don't think you will get the number you'll probably be expecting for a launch from Kerbin. My head is elsewhere at the moment so I'd need to think about it more when in a KSP mindset...

Ill be another one of those "I didn't read the 137 pages previous to this" so dont carp all over my net...

So, the question, I'm noticing that sometimes KER freezes its values (using 1.0.8.1)

Example: Right now no matter what vessel I load or create, all my values are locked.

Parts: 11

DeltaV: 2,858 m/s

TWR: 2.99

The only way I can resolve this is to exit KSP completely.

Is there a fix or is the fix exiting and restarting.

Thanks

Is there a fix or is the fix exiting and restarting.

It sounds like the simulation code has stalled for some reason. This shouldn't really happen anymore but I suspect there is an issue with how v1.0 is using the simulation code. When you have this problem could you upload your output_log.txt (or player.log for Mac or Linux) as there is probably an exception at the point where it stops working and this will help us to track down the cause?

Otherwise, yes, restarting KSP is the only way to fix it.

2) Using the stock toolbar button hovers a settings screen, with which the main KER window can be toggled, as well as some other options set. The v0.6 branch used this button (or perhaps it was using Blizzy's toolbar?) to directly toggle the main KER window. I preferred the v0.6 behaviour (less clicking).

Any chance that v1+ will have an option like in v0.6 to use Blizzy's toolbar, or will v1+ only support stock toolbar moving forward?

Blizzy's toolbar still confers advantages in being able to move, rearrange, and show/hide buttons. Also, imho stock toolbar doesn't scale well yet -- when more than a couple of mods' buttons toggle a show/hide on mouseover or mouseclick for a dropdown window directly below the toolbar, I find that the different windows jockeying to be on top can be rather finicky to use.

And of course, for people playing with Flight Engineer in module mode, when flying a craft without the required engineer parts, the stock toolbar will still display the Engineer button (albeit disabled).

Anyhow, if support for Blizzy's toolbar isn't going to be added to v1+, I would second micha's suggestion above, which can be accomplished by an option for "One-click UI toggling", i.e.:

- disable "Flight Engineer" dropdown menu in upper right
- force control bar to be enabled
- bind the toolbar button to show/hide

As micha said, this would provide one-click show/hide functionality, rather than having to click once for the dropdown, then again to show/hide the rest of the interface. It would also mean one less UI element competing with others for screen real estate in the upper right in flight mode.

As micha said' date=' this would provide one-click show/hide functionality, rather than having to click once for the dropdown, then again to show/hide the rest of the interface. It would also mean one less UI element competing with others for screen real estate in the upper right in flight mode.[/quote']

There is a reason why it isn't one-click. If you have any better options for where to put such functionality without an ugly always open floating window, I'll look into it.

an ugly always open floating window, I'll look into it.

By which you mean the control bar? Perhaps I didn't explain it well when I said "force control bar to be enabled" -- it's not to have it "always" open! What I meant is, in flight mode, the stock app launcher tool bar button serves as the 1-click master show/hide for all of Engineer. If Engineer is toggled off with app launcher, nothing (that includes the control bar) is displayed. However, when Engineer is toggled on with app launcher, the control bar will be show, along with whatever other windows are enabled, and the control bar serves as the place for toggling the sub windows (and docking them if not floated), in place of the Flight Engineer dropdown.

There would be a really clean solution if only app launcher would just add the ability to distinguish between left and right click rather than straight up toggle and hover -- left click for 1-click toggle, and right click for the detailed dropdown.

This has to be completely optional. Not everyone wants to use the control bar and also not everyone wants their custom sections to be shown on the control bar even when it is open. The best option would be to have left and right click functionality, and there may possibly be a way to hack around this with the current implementation of the app launcher. This will increase complexity though, and a percentage of users will never even realise that there is right click functionality to begin with.

Also technically it is one-click already as I already spent time getting the hover over to work well. You don't have to click the button for it to open the drop down, just hover your mouse over it and your one-click is on the 'Show Engineer' button.

I recommend people to use the '\' backslash key to show/hide everything quickly. This functionality will be increasing with a customisable key binding system in the not too distant future.

This has to be completely optional.

Yes, I did suggest for it to be an option -- I realize a big part of the new design is to be able to dispense with the control bar.

I recommend people to use the '\' backslash key to show/hide everything quickly. This functionality will be increasing with a customisable key binding system in the not too distant future.

Yes please. Backslash is dangerously close to backspace on a lot of keyboards.

Version 1.0.9 is now available!

(You can get it here!)

Added: Build Engineer now also implements the '\' backslash show/hide shortcut.

Added: New readouts to the vessel category:

- Current Stage DeltaV

- Surface Thrust to Weight Ratio

Added: New editor overlay system.

- Sleeker design.

- Hover over part information options:

- Name only

- Middle click to show

- Always show

- Slide out overlay displays:

- Vessel information

- Resources list

Fixed: Cost calculation now works with mods implementing IPartCostModifier.

Also a note on what is currently planned:

The beginnings of a key binding system is included within the 1.0.9 release, it is currently not customisable though. This will be expanded upon once the control centre system is in place. This control centre will be where all options, settings and flight engineer section edits will be done. It has become obvious over time and watching others play with KER1, that the section editor system is a bit clunky and not very intuitive for some players. It needs to be re-designed and this is a good opportunity to create a global engineering control system that can manage all aspects of the mod in a scalable way.

Edited by cybutek

Hi everyone I'm new to the whole ksp thing and firstly want to thank all those making the great mods.

I have a quick question. I was using the .06 version of this. Then I removed it to test out mechjeb. My question is would having both mechjeb and KER v.06 at the same time cause any issues? I like the way info is presented in the KER windows much more. But do like using some of the mechjeb for the more common mundane tasks once you get many flights going.

Would running both of them either interfere with each other or cause any slow down or anything? It's my understanding these two mods are doing constant calculations in the background.

My question is would having both mechjeb and KER v.06 at the same time cause any issues?

None that I'm aware of - I've been running various versions of KER (0.6.X and 1.X), MJ and even KSP (0.23+) with no problems. Yeah, they both run simulations at the same time, but I've not noticed a drop in framerate at all. At most, they sometimes disagree on vessels dV or TWR but that's about it.

Hi everyone I'm new to the whole ksp thing and firstly want to thank all those making the great mods.

I have a quick question. I was using the .06 version of this. Then I removed it to test out mechjeb. My question is would having both mechjeb and KER v.06 at the same time cause any issues? I like the way info is presented in the KER windows much more. But do like using some of the mechjeb for the more common mundane tasks once you get many flights going.

Would running both of them either interfere with each other or cause any slow down or anything? It's my understanding these two mods are doing constant calculations in the background.

I use both KER and MechJeb concurrently. There is no direct compatibility issue with them even when used on the same craft. There is a performance cost for both, though KER's can largely be mitigated by turning off the displays (as I understand it, the vessel simulation that generates the data only runs when a window requiring its information is open). MJ not only calculates a good bit more information (some required by the autopilot functions), it also does a fair bit of data recording about the flight, which causes it to have a higher performance overhead in my experience.

Probably the best bet is to try with both installed and run a few flights, only you can tell if the performance is acceptable to you. If it is unacceptable, try it with just one or the other.

After upgrading from 1.0.8.1 to 1.0.9.0 I started a new game. Now I occasionally lose the ability to transfer fuel between tanks. The transfer menu doesn't show. It started during my first launch after reverting the flight a few times. I have to save and close KSP, relaunch KPS and reload the save to be able to transfer fuels again.

I use both KER and MechJeb concurrently. There is no direct compatibility issue with them even when used on the same craft. There is a performance cost for both, though KER's can largely be mitigated by turning off the displays (as I understand it, the vessel simulation that generates the data only runs when a window requiring its information is open). MJ not only calculates a good bit more information (some required by the autopilot functions), it also does a fair bit of data recording about the flight, which causes it to have a higher performance overhead in my experience.

Probably the best bet is to try with both installed and run a few flights, only you can tell if the performance is acceptable to you. If it is unacceptable, try it with just one or the other.

Thank you very much. I will give it a shot.. Just have had had issues with some mods corrupting saves in past and didn't want to ruin my current game. Not quite ready to start over yet . Lol.

thanks to obsessedwithksp as well.

Edited by Hevak

After upgrading from 1.0.8.1 to 1.0.9.0 I started a new game. Now I occasionally lose the ability to transfer fuel between tanks. The transfer menu doesn't show. It started during my first launch after reverting the flight a few times. I have to save and close KSP, relaunch KPS and reload the save to be able to transfer fuels again.

Sounds like you've started experiencing the right click bug. It's a common bug with the 64bit version that seems to just happen randomly (as seems to be everything x64 related). Consider yourself lucky that you've been free from that bug for so long. You're now experiencing x64 like the rest of us :D

Got a weird bug report. When Names Only in the overlay is set to OFF some parts come in at a reduced size.

EXbtpgFl.jpg

The KW tanks are the correct 1.25m, but the stock engines and the fuel tank are the wrong size. This is my heavily modded install; I'll try to recreate it in a clean install tomorrow.

Got a weird bug report. When Names Only in the overlay is set to OFF some parts come in at a reduced size.

http://i.imgur.com/EXbtpgFl.jpg

The KW tanks are the correct 1.25m, but the stock engines and the fuel tank are the wrong size. This is my heavily modded install; I'll try to recreate it in a clean install tomorrow.

Wait... I think I had something similar last night with the turbofan after upgrading! I thought it was the attach node being pushed out a little bit but thinking about it, the engine could've been smaller as well. I'll try and recreate it too, I did upgrade a few more mods last night as well.

I'm also experiencing the incorrect size bug. However for me it seems to happen on the KW Rocketry parts rather than the stock ones. It seems to be some sort of conflict with TweakScale. I've managed to replicate it with this minimal mod install

KSP 0.24.2 32-bit

KWRocketry 2.6c (even removing this the stock parts still seem fine, maybe some sort of ordering issue is in effect)

TweakScale 1.43

ModuleManager 2.3.5

Kerbal Engineer 1.0.9

Removing any of these, or going back to engineer 1.0.8.1 removes the problem. Also as the other post mentioned enabling names only removes the issue.

Well, I would be quite surprised if this is anything to do with KER as it doesn't ever try to modify any part of the vessel (unless Cybutek has done something odd in the latest version). Have you checked the log for any errors/exceptions? When an exception happens the program flow jumps to a different bit of code and important bits of code can be skipped. So, if KER (or any other mod) is causing an exception then other, seemingly unrelated, things can also go wrong.

So, when it does go wrong, please upload your complete output_log.txt...

What my log shows with "Names Only On/Off" - And I have same problem, Names Only Off = smaller size - Names Only On = Normal size

Names Only = Off

Part: FL-T800 Fuel Tank Transforms: 8

[LOG 13:23:06.818] FL-T800 Fuel Tank: Geometry model created; Size: [1.00000023841858, 3.0231945514679, 1.00000071525574], LD [1.00000023841858, 1.00000023841858, 0], UD [1.00000023841858, 1.00000011920929, 0]

Surface area: 9.49764777462754

Fineness Ratio: 3.02319310989708

TaperRatio: 0.999999940395369

Cross Sectional Area: 0.785398912411639

Cross Sectional Tapered Area: 9.36267766051618E-08

Major-minor axis ratio: 0.999999523163183

Centroid: [0, -0.0105630459705375, -5.96046447753906E-08]

[LOG 13:23:06.820] Part: FL-T800 Fuel Tank Transforms: 8

Names Only = On

Part: FL-T800 Fuel Tank Transforms: 8

[LOG 13:28:00.403] FL-T800 Fuel Tank: Geometry model created; Size: [1.25000023841858, 3.77899312973022, 1.25000071525574], LD [1.25000023841858, 1.25000023841858, 0], UD [1.25000023841858, 1.25000011920929, 0]

Surface area: 14.8400737946126

Fineness Ratio: 3.02319335052744

TaperRatio: 0.999999952316293

Cross Sectional Area: 1.22718556657622

Cross Sectional Tapered Area: 1.17033465873436E-07

Major-minor axis ratio: 0.999999618530492

Centroid: [0, -0.0132037701526675, -5.96046447753906E-08]

[LOG 13:28:00.404] Part: FL-T800 Fuel Tank Transforms: 8

EDIT: I turned off Visible and no size problems then.

Log

[LOG 13:28:00.402] Part: FL-T800 Fuel Tank Transforms: 8

[LOG 13:28:00.403] FL-T800 Fuel Tank: Geometry model created; Size: [1.25000023841858, 3.77899312973022, 1.25000071525574], LD [1.25000023841858, 1.25000023841858, 0], UD [1.25000023841858, 1.25000011920929, 0]

Surface area: 14.8400737946126

Fineness Ratio: 3.02319335052744

TaperRatio: 0.999999952316293

Cross Sectional Area: 1.22718556657622

Cross Sectional Tapered Area: 1.17033465873436E-07

Major-minor axis ratio: 0.999999618530492

Centroid: [0, -0.0132037701526675, -5.96046447753906E-08]

[LOG 13:28:00.404] Part: FL-T800 Fuel Tank Transforms: 8

Edited by Lumaan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.