NASA's Deep Space Gateway

Xemina

Spoiler
7 hours ago, tater said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, I can. If you make any positive claim (ie: "China is in a much better financial position than the US"), it requires demonstration, and short of demonstrating the veracity of the claim, we don't assume it is true. The rest of the argument was predicated on that claim, so it's simply untrue short of demonstration of what you asserted at the start (China is in a much better financial position than the US).

I can't see any possible way to demonstrate that this is true (economics has trouble demonstrating the truth of anything, it's not physics)

<S>

I thought it was just common knowledge, but fair enough. It’s not something I feel super excited about debating so we might as well just agree to disagree >_<

Spoiler
6 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

Well China buys everything my country produces XD including our realestate (even though it’s illegal unless it’s a new building...) There’s even regulations now to stop people buying out stuff from the supermarkets and sending it back to China cos they have been buying our baby food (theirs was being adulterated by formaldehyde from memory >_<... what a thing to fill something out with....

Whats your opinion on China’s economy vs the US anywhoozles? 

I don't mean goods to buy and sent, they are volatile, but apartments to live there, especially rich ones.
Briefly: if you have to choose between two places, where is your backup place, which river coast you treat as more safe.

On a topicish note, I think I’m slightly warming up to the Gateway plan. I been kinda trialing it in KSP Real Solar System. And having a propellant repository is turning out to be pretty handy in terms of staging rolling missions. Also learning that a reusable lander is pretty big...

7 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

I been kinda trialing it in KSP Real Solar System. And having a propellant repository

Now you can allow NASA to use it, they will be glad.

7 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

a reusable lander is pretty big...

Iirc, they were going to reuse the ascent stage, while the descent stage should be every time new.

For a propellant depot to be very useful, you need to bring propellants with pretty much every flight. Easy in KSP, much harder in RL. What's the propellant? Hydrolox? What are the boiloff losses while your vehicle goes from LEO to NRHO? How do you dispose of the stage that brought the extra props, etc?

I think prop depots are an interesting idea, but I'm unsure about their utility for places like Gateway that are so rarely visited, and so far away.

Edited by tater

I havent gone as far as to simulate boiloff >_< I'm still getting comfortable doing things in RSS. It's a heap more difficult than stock but I'm finding it's sssoooooo much more rewarding playing with realish values and planets ^_^ 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.