[1.8-1.12] Ferram Aerospace Research Continued: v0.16.0.5 "Mader" 03/04/22

dkavolis

9 hours ago, RunaDacino said:

Is it possible, in FAR, to push jet engines higher than their mach number indicates?

Afterburning "Panther" engines, no matter what design I use, cap out at around 970 m/s before rapidly losing thrust. Is it possible to hit mach 3 and maintain it in level flight using procedural wings and Panther engines, or do I need whiplashes? (I'm asking for sake of career saves and "planes with purposes", with Whiplash i can hit very good speeds easily).

FAR really doesn't do anything to Jet Engines afaik. AJE is the mod that changes jet engine parameters. Although I very much doubt you could hit Mach 3 with stock Panthers (without AJE). If you look at the Kerbal wiki for Panther engines, you'll see that it drops off in thrust very quickly after ~Mach 2.7. So maybe try cruising higher but I doubt you could do better than 970 m/s

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 9:37 AM, RunaDacino said:

Also! How do you deal with landing gear and its introduced drag... since AFAIK none of the mods allow building the gear housing INTO the wing/fuselage properly. I'm mostly using B9aero, Mk2 stockalike, b9 wings, Near future and foundry.

Can't giove you precise answer regarding engines, might be wrong on that one. As for lanfing gears, what do you meant that you can't build housing into wings or fuselage ?

That is almost mandatoray for me to clip landing gears into fuselage/wings. Deliberatly creating thicker wings to be able to hide landing gears into wings. Once you place landing gear on craft, you can offset postion in a way that only landing leg and wheel stick out when landing gears are in down position. And with gears up, everything is hidden inside wing/fuselage, or at least almost everything, depending on used part. B9 wings can also hold a fuel, so, being thicker is not ultimately bad thing.

I was not activly played KSP for a while, so can't tell if Kerbal Foundries mod still work on latest KSP. But I highly recommend it to try. Especialy adjustable landing gears.

Edited by kcs123