The Truman Kerman Craftyard

Hotel26

Dash 8K Craftyard

9dckqX4.png

Description
1:Wheesleys 2:reversers 3:flaps 4:ladder; 7.5km Vr:60 +2
inspired by Cavscout74

A stock aircraft called Dash 8K.  Built with 40 of the finest parts, its root part is Mark1Cockpit.

545 m/s @ 7.5 km on 0.14 k/s

Built in the SPH in KSP version 1.6.1.

Mule Craftyard

vnxTt7o.png

Description
0:gimbal

A stock tug called Mule.  Built with 90 of the finest parts, its root part is mk3FuselageLF.50.

Mule is a multi-role utility serving as:

1. a tug in the orbital lanes, attached to a space station
  2. a munar crane for transporting equipment or fuel to/from the surface
  3. a mid-stage booster on interplanetary missions

It is closely related to Atkara’s Drone Tug Mk1 and somewhat to my own HMS Beagle.

Built in the VAB in KSP version 1.6.0.

2kblVgK.png

Edited by Hotel26

Ladybug Craftyard

PaPvH0j.png   Wt99pQy.png

iGFUxbx.png   eYJss3J.png

Isn't this nice?  This is Ladybug and it has now been refurbished and repackaged to include a Zephyr lifter and a Sparrow tug.  It's a complete set of 6 Ladybug munar explorers with everything you need to get it to the Mun or perhaps even further afield!

If I'm not exaggerating(?), each Ladybug has 4.3 km/s dV.  It can de-orbit/re-orbit easily on a single tank of gas.  It's great for surface exploration on the Mun or for personal travel (economy class).

Ladybug has VERT/HORZ control plus Pulse/Continuous mode switch.

And to refuel -- new with this version -- a base docking ring for landing on top of a Goblin mining rig or to dock with a space station.

Ladybug will completely revolutionize your exploration and knowledge of the Mun!

Edited by Hotel26

Penguin Craftyard

HffH0Ak.png

Description
1:engines 2:taxi 3:land/take-off

A stock aircraft called Penguin.  Built with 53 of the finest parts, its root part is Mark1Cockpit.

Penguin is another in my Break-Apart series of transporter airplanes.  Upon jettison, it deposits 1x Mk3 crew cabin + 1x Mk3 short fuel fuselage (2,500 kallons LF) + 1x pilot on the ground.

The Penguin / Mk3 crew cabin combination is the Township cog in my global aviation network.  It works in tandem with Swallow [the House cog] and the soon-to-be-published Eclipse [City].

Penguin takes off and lands on a sturdy but non-steerable LY-60 nose gear.  An auxilliary LY-35 is provided for taxi operations.

Depending upon the range to your final destination, the large 2,500 kallon fuel tank onboard is likely to remain fully charged until arrival.  After jettison, it will come down on chutes to provide a stock of LF [but no OX to run rover fuel cells].

Edited by Hotel26

Truman is mightily pleased to announce an update to the Pacemaker...

Update 2019-06-22: Pacemaker is now optionally powered by twin Junos and this package also includes a Pterodactyl delivery vehicle.

At high speed, Truman drives with CAPS LOCK on, SAS off but to be engaged while airborne once the attitude is close to that predicted for ‘landing’.  Pacemaker is considered ‘safe’ up to 60 m/s, after which it may begin to body-surf.  All bets off in the mountains.  1/3 throttle is good for roughly 60 m/s.

Do note that access to Pacemaker is via F- Climb over the nose...

If you want to open it out to see what it will do, fly it out to Gilligan’s Island (6 21N 61 31W) – and have fun!  (And don't forget to Quick Save before engaging Drive.)

lUgRT0U.png

Work in progress to tune the suspension for safest performance at the top end...

Edited by Hotel26

Swallow

Craftyard

Description:
A stock aircraft called Swallow.  Built with 48 of the finest parts, its root part is Mark1Cockpit.

Transports a command post to site for aerial deployment. Can be flown from the lander can.

swjr-swis took an interest in the first version of this aircraft, which was a Break-Apart model, or maybe it was the test pilot's verdict, "flies like a cow", that caught his eye…?

In any case, he has done a full work-over and we now present his rendition verbatim which is a thorough pleasure to fly and operate.

Grazie, @swjr-swis !

Edited by Hotel26

Aquarius Eel Craftyard

uX8hhhS.png

Description:
1:engines 2:bay 3:ladder ABT: release

A stock aircraft called Aquarius Eel.  Built with 55 of the finest parts, its root part is mk2CargoBayL.

This is an upgrade to my original Valkyrie Eel package, which may soon be retired.  I did not quite feel that the original Eel was entirely satisfactory in the water, since it tended to roll, especially annoyingly while turning.  In truth, though, Eel only ever makes two turns, once it is in the water.

The screenshot shows Aquarius, ditched in the water after aerially jettisoning Eel. Eel has maneuvered back to Aquarius to find a point to dock for the transfer of fuel.  This is the perfect way to refuel watercraft, particularly those that are engaged in a long journey.

Incidentally, I discovered that loading the KSP 1.3.1 version of Valkyrie Eel did not stage correctly in KSP 1.6.1 until I first loaded it into the SPH and saved it; then reloaded it.

So, Truman says: "please be aware that, in order to accomplish an accurate  conversion of a craft built in an older version, you should always load and save it before readying it for first flight".  Thank you.

Geist Craftyard

xBvtiYQ.png

Description
1:Whiplash 2:NERV

A stock aircraft called Geist. Built with 20 of the finest parts, its root part is Mark2Cockpit.

"What the world needs now… is yet another 1-seat SSTO…"  NOOOoooooo…!!

Cruise: 21km 1,382 m/s for 0.13 kal/sec. Stall: 48 m/s

The NERV will take you to higher altitudes, out of reach of pesky missiles, while conducting photo-recon missions over rogue states.

This is for the pilot who likes to watch his contrail in the rear-view. It’s an airframe with attitude… You’ll need to keep an eye on your AoA at all times, especially low & slow.

Kick in Atmosphere Autopilot to put your feet up; or do without when you want a really sweaty gym work-out. This is a machine for real pilots.

It goes to orbit on 600 kals of fuel with a half tank left. No need for OX, (except for the pilot!)

I built this airplane as a challenge to myself to "think small"… I hope you’ll agree I succeeded and made something also with lashings of personality. Enjoy!

V0E8Y5j.png   1A3spoB.png

Truman Kerman is most enthused to announce the advent of the Esprit Gen III with the all-new ED wing construction.

The major difference the airline / pilot will notice is the change in the performance numbers from:

815 m/s at 14km for 1.0+ kal/sec
to:
                                                          868 m/s at 12.6km for 0.64 kal/sec

Not shabby.  Esprit remains Truman's favorite Long-legged Lady of the Skies!

HvN19AS.png   dydM3SV.png

Edited by Hotel26

On 3/8/2019 at 5:26 AM, Hotel26 said:
Pacemaker Craftyard

ZgGs7id.png

Kite Road Runner

Description
1:gen

A stock endurance rally rover called Pacemaker.  Built with 31 of the finest parts, its root part is mk2Cockpit.Standard.

Testing ideas for a high-speed endurance rally entrant, I wondered how fast Atkara’s 8-wheeled science Rover Mk1 would go with all the science gear stripped out. Fast!  48 m/s on the KSC green.  I’m seriously considering taking on a 3,600km trek. :)

I drive this with SAS off but my right index finger on the ‘F’ key so that I can strategically ‘Hold’ the attitude when the machine leaves the ground so as to be nicely aligned for landing and/or to arrest a tumble.

Tip of the hat to Atkara…

Built in the SPH in KSP version 1.6.0.

Only 48 M/S? I get a massive rover with only 6 wheels a crew capsule and a tone of bateries up to 100 M/S. The fastest I got a rover up to was 151 M/S with one whestley at the back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Gremlin Craftyard

D9xKOVB.png

Description
1:engines 2:drills 3:mine 4:dock

A stock rocket called Gremlin.  Built with 155 of the finest parts, its root part is asasmodule1-2.

Gremlin is the long-gestated upgrade to my venerable Goblin fuel miner/exploration base.

Like Goblin it:

• is maneuverable
  • relocatable
  • supports local exploration
  • provides habitat for 16 Kerbals
  • can refuel retractable nosegear craft (claws)
  • can refuel light hover craft (top dock)
  • can shuttle fuel to a space station in low orbit
  • is dockable on both ends for flexible interplanetary transit

In addition, Gremlin separates the heavy mining paraphernalia into its lower stage (to be left on the surface) and the main fuel tanks and propulsion into the upper stage. This permits the option to reorbit the whole vehicle, when supplying fuel to a space station OR to depart with only the fuel shuttle stage, leaving the mining operation running, and returning to redock from a hover.

It is recommended procedure to land the fuel shuttle close by (landing legs extended), then adjust the thrust limiters to e.g. 30% (depending upon the lunar gravity) and then find a thrust setting that gives a slight sink rate. Then use the Vernors to control translation over the target and then perform a gentle sink onto the first stage top dock. You can use the Vernor H key to arrest and/or fine-tune the sink rate without touching the throttle. All done, needless to say, with SAS Radial Out mode selected.

Note that Goblin LF/OX capacity of 20,000 kals increases to 41,520 kallons with Gremlin. 

Using this machine successfully is a buzz and it is, without doubt, a real pilot’s machine.

It comes with a Zephyr booster to get you to LKO. Pilot Operating Handbook states that all engines should be kept until the apoapsis is achieved (nominally 90km); and the Rhino further retained until a periapsis of around 0 is achieved.

Have tons of fun!!

Built in the VAB in KSP version 1.7.3.

Edited by Hotel26

• 2 weeks later...

Bombardier

Craftyard

HXi967d.png

Description
1:HORZ 2:VERT 3:dock 4:ladders

A lo-power, hi-econo lunar crew transport called Bombardier.  Built with 125 of the finest parts, its root part is mk2Cockpit.Inline.

The engine pods are locked for launch. Cycle the dock to unlock them, start the fuel cell and extend the antenna. Use key group 1 and the I/K keys to rotate the pods.

Recommend using s = v/a.v/2 to compute the stopping distance for precision landings as Bombardier will cover considerable distance while de-orbiting but can, nevertheless be landed accurately. [KER gives a (acc)]

Passengers love the comfort of Bombardier because (apart from KSC launch) the flight profile is ‘horizontal’ which means you never spill your drink nor wrench your neck admiring the scenic view.

( Zephyr launcher included.)

• 2 weeks later...
Spider Craftyard

1FPnbvA.png

Description
1:ladder

A stock sky crane called Spider. Built with 49 of the finest parts, its root part is mk2LanderCabin.v2.

Spider is purpose-built for transferring wide loads. In particular, it is the workhorse for assembling a Mun "super-refinery". Pictured above, you can see it transporting an Orb refinery module to the surface of the Mun. It’s particularly capable for depositing heavy equipment onto base top docks.

Like all members of the arachnid order, it possesses 8 legs and 5 eyes.

Spider is included in the Snowflake and  KP Luna Vista packages; it is supplied here separately only for convenience.  The Zippo super-tanker (to be posted shorlty) completes the suite for building a lunar super-refinery.

ECO 2019-11-01: boost Vernor thrust to 100%. Correct orientation of bottom dock.

7W95RRs.png

Edited by Hotel26

Snowflake Craftyard

rHAFyD5.png

Description
5:antenna/claws

A stock refinery called Snowflake. Built with 165 of the finest parts, its root part is asasmodule1-2.

Snowflake is the base building block for a lunar super-refinery that, when located in 14% premium-grade ore, easily produces a minimum of 9 kals / sec and more for multiple products. Providing 8 Hitchhiker accommodation modules, it thus serves also as home for 32 Kerbs at Mun HQ.

The Snowflake package includes a Zephyr launcher plus a Spider skycrane to bring the Snowflake to a premium-grade ore site on the surface of the Mun. All told, this package has the oomph (dV) to deploy upon the Mun.

The Spider can then be user to bring Orb refinery modules down for attachment to the Snowflake from an orbiting KP Luna Vista factory ship.

Completing the whole suite will be a Zippo super-tanker, to be posted shortly.

Edited by Hotel26

KP Luna Vista Craftyard

7mIj6Zk.png

Description
1:ladder 5:mine 6:drill

A stock transport called KP Luna Vista. Built with 373 of the finest parts, its root part is asasmodule1-2.

This is undoubtedly the best-ever use I have made of my Aquila Gen VIII launcher – which features a broad load-carrying platform with positions for 8+1 individual loads…

The KP Luna Vista mission profile is to deliver a super-refinery to a lunar body for assembly upon the surface. (I myself only envisage ever deploying one of these and only on the Mun due to its excessive output capability.)

Atop the Aquila VIII launcher sits a Spider sky crane in the center, surrounded by 8 Orb refinery modules on the perimeter.

Once a Snowflake has been deposited upon a premium-grade equatorial site, the Spider may be used to make 8 trips to it to transport and install each of the Orb modules.

From the launch pad:

• Radial Out Sfc mode
  • pitch down 5 deg at 70 m/s and SAS Hold until AoA centered; then SAS Prograde Sfc
  • SAS Prograde Orbit mode @ 20km
  • jettison outer boosters when their fuel is exhausted; jettison nose cones
  • plot the circularization node and circularize
  • this should yield a smooth ride into space with sufficient dV remaining to reach the Mun
  • jettison the Rhino when OX is exhausted and light the NERVa to finish the job, possibly during the translunar injection
  • Good Luck

Sited in 14% grade ore, a full Snowflake refinery should produce a minimum of 9 kal / sec, which should be sufficient to fill a Zippo super-tanker (coming soon) in under two hours.

[Historical note: during development, this KP lunar refinery effort was known as Project OVERKILL. We think we met our goal.]

Edited by Hotel26

Zippo Craftyard

QG6gWo8.png

Description
1:Go 2:Hover 3:steer 4:ladder

A stock super-tanker called Zippo.  Built with 75 of the finest parts, its root part is dockingPortLarge.

Zippo transports 31,900 LF, 38,500 OX and 1,500 MP from a lunar surface refinery to a waiting orbital station.

KP Exploration built this special-purpose ship to support Snowflake lunar super-refinery installations.

Dock a Zippo to the refinery and fill it up in a couple of hours.

To build and a operate a complete refinery, you will need Snowflake, KP Luna Vista and Zippo.

Find a flat, equatorial, premium-grade ore (e.g. 12-14%) site; bring Snowflake down with its Spider sky-crane (provided); then make 8 trips from KP Luna Vista with both Spiders to bring the 8 Orb refinery modules down to install (top-docking) onto the Snowflake base assembly; finally bring Zippo down and dock to one of Snowflake’s claws; begin producing!

NOTE: docking Zippo requires driving it in at an angle and turning at the last moment in order to position the Snowflake claw under the Zippo between the for'ard engine and the gondola. Good luck with that!! It can be done!

KW Jetta 2020 Craftyard

XABNPmG.png

Description
1:HORZ 2:VERT 3:ladder/gen / 5:VERT 6:HORZ 7:pulse

A stock rover called KW Jetta. Built with 99 of the finest parts, its root part is mk2LanderCabin.v2.

And there I was, thinking I was done with rovers. They’re too much fun to entirely give up.

These days, I do mostly get around in VVLO (very, very low orbit), but I like to keep one KW parked at the base camp to get from ship to ship.

Time to update the KW line: Kerballenwagen und KW Rabbit; so here it is: the all-new KW Jetta (2020 edition).

I haven’t done a lot of road-testing with it yet, so go carefully.

k1 is Drive (HORZ ref). If you leave the ground, k2 will give you a VERT reference and you can engage SAS Radial Out (SFC mode) to ready to plant 4 tires back into the lunar dust.

Comes mounted atop a Spunk booster and with a Ladybug lander. It’ll be a trick to get Ladybug docked to the KW Jetta. but it’s possible. The Ladybug is also the only known way to refuel the KW Jetta. Fuel up the Ladybug from a base camp Goblin or Gremlin and then top-dock with the KW Jetta to feed it.

Launch from KSC with SAS Radial Out SFC mode; pitch down 5 (yellow ring) reaching 80 m/s; then follow prograde to 75km and circularize.

For Spunk re-entry, lower the periapsis to 50km and then simply maintain some upward pitch as you descend through the atmosphere. Keep all remaining fuel in the for'ard tanks until speed drops below 1 km/sec.

Have fun!

Engineering Note: Jetta is equippied with two Equipment Drawers [tm], found on the underside of the Lander Can. Shift-gizmo them downwards to expose gear embedded in the girders for maintenance / modification.

Edited by Hotel26

Memorandum from the desk of Truman Kerman, President of Truman Kerman Craftyard, Inc.

"Although, admittedly, no one at all has written in enquiring about the ship description captions, it is worth noting that KSC pilots at this installation are trained to use a simple command-line tool  provided to them:

Typing "ship Lady" returns:

Ships/VAB/Ladbug.craft:description = 5:VERT 6:HORZ 7:pulse On/Off
  Ships/VAB/Ladybug Zephyr.craft:description = 5:VERT 6:HORZ 7:pulse 0:gimbal

which gives the pilot a quick reminder of action group assignments for the craft in question, even, and especially, during flight. 

The bash shell script implementing this is:

#!/bin/bash
  grep -s desc Ships/SPH/$1*.craft Ships/VAB/$1*.craft

Trust this might be useful to someone..."

Edited by Hotel26

• 3 weeks later...
Xenon III Craftyard

Oq4AM6o.png

Description
A stock supply rocket called Xenon III.  Built with 212 of the finest parts, its root part is ServiceBay.250.

Take a look at the flag in the background for a clue why anyone might want to ship 103,320 units of Xenon to LKO. Nuts!!

But have you ever asked yourself how you refuel an Ion Cruiser?

Put one on your LKO space station… Ship a bunch to the Jolian system… Or just pack one with your ion drive.

Who knows?

Edited by Hotel26

Venom V Craftyard

ZIe3uwY.png

Description
1: engines

A stock resupply rocket called Venom V.  Built with 84 of the finest parts, its root part is probeStackLarge.

I will use this ship to keep my LKO space station(s) supplied with monopropellant (3,750 kals).

Includes a Sparrow and a recoverable Spunk lifter.

Kestrel H6 Craftyard

PXqLFXN.png

Description
1:Go 2:Hover 3:reversers 4:ladder 5:boost

A stock VTOL air-sea-rescue/accident-investigation VTOL called Kestrel H6. Built with 34 of the finest parts, its root part is Mark2Cockpit.

This is based on the Illustrious Scarecrow88’s original Kestrel and is repurveyed here with His Excellently Kind and Most Gracious consent. BEWARE: Kestrel is a complete jet-blast to fly!! Please do check out Scarecrow88’s many other notable inventions!!

My own contributions are dismally minimal amounting principally to the installation of the GoHover[tm] avionics control system, augmenting controllability with a VERT reference. Making it a cinch to get into even the tightest parking space…

Press AG1 to set HORZ control reference, activate the Wheesleys for FWD propulsion and toggle the Panther on/off for the transition from the Hover.

Press AG2 to set the VERT control reference, activate the Panther for UWD propulsion and toggle the Wheesleys on/off for transition to the Hover.

All prospective Kestrel pilots MUST undertake a mandatory six-week training course to cover the following material: "ALWAYS hit ‘F’ SAS Hold before touching AG1 or AG2 to change control reference. Keyword: ALWAYS. Final exam: **ALWAYS??**"

Generally, turbo-thrust (AG5) from the Panther is highly recommended at all times.

Built in the SPH in KSP version 1.7.3.

Edited by Hotel26

Hornet III Craftyard

biO61bz.png

Description
1:Fly 2:Land 3:Hover 4:boost 5:ladder

A stock VTOL air-sea rescue personnel carrier named Hornet III. Built with 38 of the finest parts, its root part is mk2Cockpit.Standard.

Cruise at 826+@16/0.59

Hornet III features the 1-2-3-Hover[tm] control scheme designed around a transition state diagram (see below). This is a mighty machine: pilot training is strongly advised!!

NOTE: with initial fuel load, will climb in the hover at sea-level only using Vernor upward translation boost.

Built in the SPH in KSP version 1.7.3.

UPDATE 2020-08-28: TL;DR

Starting on the runway with both engines off, the vertical departure is: T-3-3-RadOut-Z followed by F-2 followed by 1.

Approach to vertical landing is (from mode 1): Idle-2, enter hover, 3-3-RO

The following may be of interest to VTOL jockeys and I welcome any input and/or discussion.  (Reply below!)

I am trying out a state diagram implementation of the identifiable Use Cases in flying a HoverJet.

YrjAxQq.png

• In the diagram above, top row states, [STOL] and [Depart], have ALL engines running.
  • [Fly] has the HORZ engines running
  • [Land] and [Hover] have the VERT engines running

K1 => cockpit HORZ reference + HORZ thrust engines activated + VERT thrust engines toggled [Fly <-> STOL]

K2 => cockpit HORZ reference + VERT engines activated + HORZ engines toggled [Land <-> Slow (not shown)]

K3 => Okto2 (WASD helo joystick) VERT reference + VERT engines activated + HORZ engines toggled [Hover <-> Depart]

The two states of particular interest are:

1. the [Land] transition from forward flight into the hover
  2. the [Depart] transition from the hover into conventional flight

Note Also:

1. boost modes on the HORZ and VERT Panthers are intentionally opposite.  K4 toggles all boost: one set on and the other set off.  Hover generally requires full VERT boost.  This means e.g. one can switch boost power from the VERTs to the HORZ during the [Depart] state as one moves toward transition to [Flight] state.
  2. toggling K2 introduces the HORZ engines, which is important when these have reversers (e.g. the Wheesleys on Hornet I) as it allows a faster deceleration [Slow] into the hover when executing the [Land] transition.
  3. operating the ladder (K5) kills all engines which is safe when already on the ground.
  4. in [Hover] state, with a VERT ref, WASD operates as a helo joystick with the stabilator behaving appropriately.  Until it doesn't; some kind of enigma with SAS.  So I pin the stabiliator part open so that I can toggle Pitch on/off as desired.  Or it can be simpler to just turn SAS off until truly in the hover.
  5. the VERT Okto2 is located on an Equipment Drawer (shift-gizmo the barely visible Octa Strut) under the belly of the machine.
  6. 1-2-3-Hover is the augmentation of an earlier scheme, GoHover, with the addition of K2, which allows HORZ ctl in combination with VERT thrust, with the objective of keeping the perilous [Landing] transition under better control.  GoHover is still state-of-the-art for VTOL in vacuum.
  7. RCS must be engaged at all times in or near the hover.  Hornet III is equipped with a VernorCushion[tm] and a generous supply of OX.  VernorCushion offers precise control of sink rate approaching that rooftop helipad, as well as adept attitudinal control.

This is the new Hornet III under development:

OU4P8wM.png

I am using it in trials with the new 1-2-3-Hover[tm] control scheme described above.  So far; so good.

Cruise is 826@15/.62...

Release is scheduled for Friday.

Edited by Hotel26

An Engineering Change Order for Paxjet applies some long-overdue Tender Loving Care:

Ag3oPfK.png

Paxjet, operated conventionally, was prone to suffering intake air starvation with the result of the port engine spooling down to about half power.  The asymmetric thrust created did not bother the aerodynamic stability of this jet, but it did hamper max performance.

With the addition of a ventral Radial Air Intake plus two small circular intakes at the wing-tips, and with a careful climb to maintain acceleration (and thereby intake), Paxjet is now able to achieve cruise 1310@21/0.37

Edited by Hotel26

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.