A rather odd lander

ExpandDong

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

Does this image depict success or failure? 

This was a test of concept, so a success. If you are wondering how it works, after you set the craft on a landing course, you inflate the heat shields (as well as any antennae you need), and you point retrograde. There are some rocket engines on the bottom that let you fully slow down for landing, as well as landing legs. One you touch down, you decouple the top shield, which is attached to a battery, rocket engines, a probe core, and fuel. You can use this to fly off the top. You then can decouple your payload (In this case a small probe) and fly it off the rest of the craft.

3 minutes ago, ExpandDong said:

This was a test of concept, so a success. If you are wondering how it works, after you set the craft on a landing course, you inflate the heat shields (as well as any antennae you need), and you point retrograde. There are some rocket engines on the bottom that let you fully slow down for landing, as well as landing legs. One you touch down, you decouple the top shield, which is attached to a battery, rocket engines, a probe core, and fuel. You can use this to fly off the top. You then can decouple your payload (In this case a small probe) and fly it off the rest of the craft.

Might I suggest inverting the concept and ejecting the lower shell before landing instead? The upper stage could still fly itself away after landing. 

Just a suggestion. :) 

3 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Might I suggest inverting the concept and ejecting the lower shell before landing instead? The upper stage could still fly itself away after landing. 

Just a suggestion. :) 

I don't do this for a few reasons. First, doing such causes the ship to Kraken out and explode. second, I can use the bottom shell for water landings, like this. I have it here with Jeb landed out on Laythe, using the vessel to float on the waters (Sorry about the blurriness of the photos, don't know why this happened).5Zo6yCQ.jpg2mh2pOa.jpg

1 hour ago, ExpandDong said:

I don't do this for a few reasons. First, doing such causes the ship to Kraken out and explode. second, I can use the bottom shell for water landings, like this. I have it here with Jeb landed out on Laythe, using the vessel to float on the waters (Sorry about the blurriness of the photos, don't know why this happened).5Zo6yCQ.jpg2mh2pOa.jpg

Okay, then. It was merely a suggestion. :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.