Beyond the Horizon - Polar Mun Circumnavigation [Let It Go]

Mr. Peabody

Beyond the Horizon - Stock Mun Polar Circumnavigation

nqIcgsz.png  lASgwUI.png

This is the chronicle of my stock Mun Polar elcana circumnavigation attempt. Yep, I said polar circumnavigation attempt. Those of you who have been to the munar poles may recall the wicked terrain in the polar areas. Fortunately, I have the best rover anyone could ever want and I have attempted a circumnavigation of Ike before, so I'm not entirely new to the challenge. (In case you are wondering a computer crash wiped my save file effectively ending my attempt.) But this time I have the power of backup. :) I also have a brand-new rocket and lander to break in. For those of you who are wondering what exactly I'll be doing in this thread, I will be attempting to drive completely around the Mun dodging craters and mountains and safely return to my start point which will be marked by a flag. I will be using kerbnet waypoints to keep track of my progress. I will do my best to bring you documentation of the Mun's weirdest and most beautiful geography. A screenshot is worth a thousand words so without further adue, let the circumnavigation begin! P.S. I will also be sharing my favorite driving music with each installment. (Launch and rover delivery details in spoiler.)

Spoiler

iy3pYlB.jpg  zvNCQns.jpg

Liftoff!                                                                                            Lunar orbital insertion

E6Z312G.png  bgaHbVr.png

The lander lowers the rover to the surface.                                                                                             Touchdown!

ShSPBzh.png  zsAebDM.png

Lefty Kerman with the lander, rover and flag.                                                                                  All ready to begin!

I apologize for the boring commentary, but this is the boring part of the mission. Regular installments will feature "proper" commentary and full-sized screenshots. (Observant users may have noticed the parachute warning in multiple shots. This is because I have rebound my screenshot key to "p.") :)

Go to Latest Installment ->

Edited by The Dunatian

5 hours ago, Triop said:

How long you think it will take ?

No idea. On a low gravity world the "safe" driving speed is greatly diminished.

Installment #1

6ybf3Hl.png

The start point was inside of a crater, which was good because it was relatively level, but also bad because the rover had to scale a fairly steep incline.

pxUV7Pu.png

Scaling said incline...

n8vNb54.png

I thought this was interesting. The terrain is heavily streaked/striated with parallel lines. It reminds me of cheesecake for some reason.

TAwKgkj.png

It's a little hard to see, but for some reason the inside of craters appear white or light colored in contrast with the surrounding landscape. It may be that they reflect light in a different way or they just might be colored differently.

PF8yH2w.png

Another screenshot illustrating the above observation.

P9XUZuQ.jpg

Lefty's Log: Excellent progress was made today through the Mun's north-west crater. Driving was fairly smooth with no major surprises. We should be completely out of the north-west crater by the next installment. Total distance driven was 80 Km. (Waypoints are spaced 40 Km apart.)

Installment #2 (in spoiler)

"Conquered Crater" 

Spoiler

UF9jBX2.png

Believe it or not this has been the typical driving scene at the typical speed for the past two days. Everything is way too perfect.

4FvKrz6.png

This is not perfect. This is a dev's mistake. I have discovered that if the rover leaves the surface (it doesn't happen often fortunately) while the dim-witted driver has his peering head stuck in the map view the "AP" marker will appear in the vessel view and stick to the root part. It will remain there like an unwelcomed house guest until the rover leaves the surface again while the driver is in vessel view.

xMwORgw.png

Turns out it's not just Texas that has perfect driving country. This is about as kind as terrain will be to you.

FcTRScp.png

It's always prudent to watch out for these though. Yes, that docile looking sledding slope can actually reduce a rover to a heap of scrap if the driver cannot slow his rover in time.

NDWe075.jpg

Lefty's Log: Most of today was spent threading our way through a narrow pass out of the Mun's north-west crater. Terrain was mixed, some areas being significantly smoother than others. Exceptional progress was made with over 50 Km driven. Our attention must now be turned to the dangerous polar region as we begin to approach northern latitudes.

Today's driving music has a deep theme behind it. The song is called "Le Reve Passe," which translated means "The Dream Passes." It's symbolic of the fact that what I failed to accomplish on Ike is now being done on a much larger scale on the Mun. Strictly speaking it is a French military song, but the tune is great. (music in spoiler)

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Installment #3 (in spoiler)

"They see me rolling"

Spoiler

5ebgJM1.png

I decided it was about time we give this rover a name. Therefore, it will henceforth be known as the Endurance.  :cool:

k7smjU7.png

This is a typical driving scene. Not a whole lot happens and boredom can creep up on you. The success of many circumnavigations are determined not by driver skill or the strength of the rover, but by sheer determination on the part of the driver.

XZfTl2a.png

Beauty shot passing through...

tay4SpJ.png

I've discovered a little secret. Audio dramas are a great way to break up boredom. Music is good too, but after a while it can become tiresome. I'm currently listening to a dramatization of "The Magician's Nephew" from the Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis.

ZfLyuym.jpg

Lefty's Log: Today was, to put it simply, a drive in the country. No major problems or difficult terrain presented itself during the trip. Mission control is quite pleased with our progress. So far so good. The plan is to approach the polar region by skirting the edge of the massive northern crater. (Top left) If all goes as planned we should reach the north pole in two or three stops.

Today's driving music is a little beauty I found on youtube earlier this week. "Sur la Route de Dijon" translates literally as "On the Road of Dijon." (Music in spoiler)

Spoiler

Installment #4 (in spoiler

"Hacksaw Ridge

Spoiler

MYHir1Q.png

Here we are rolling along once more. I'm pleased to announce that henceforth I will be able to pick up the pace a little. Previously, I avoided all airtime because I feared that it might lead to wrecks. (Lefty hasn't scratched the paint once.) This meant that I had to operated at speeds under 20 m/s. However, I have now learned to make successful jumps and can now exceed 25-30 m/s.

4gJtxJC.png

This unusual terrain is the reason for the title of today's installment. It looks just like the teeth on a saw, don't you think? I realize many of you were probably hoping that the rover had to go over it and there were explosions, but here it is anyway.

RnOeDKk.png

Rovering along...

7XqWRVT.png

Another strange ridge that I spotted towards the end of the drive. It looks remarkably like a molar, right? Or am I just beginning to see things?

JGr1sgm.jpg  

Lefty's Log: Today's drive was filled with interesting geography. Several ridges were photographed and sent back to the bored interns at the KSC. Mission controllers finally livened up and allowed us to shoot some great jumps. In other news, I smell the poles in the air. (Don't think about that too much) Indeed, we have finally exited the midlands and have officially entered the Munar highlands. Woo-oo! The next installment should be pretty routine, it's not like we're going to be driving recklessly through a dangerous canyon or anything...

Sorry guys, no music today. I've been listening to an audio drama. So I'll leave you with this clip from a favorite cartoon character.

Spoiler

No comment.

Installment #6 (in spoiler)

"Further Up & Further In!"

Spoiler

nPVGHQD.png

We said we were passing through a canyon, right? Bonus points if you can spot the rover.

5QYrHks.png

The canyon wasn't nearly as exciting as I thought it would be, but we did get a great screenshot at the end.

Uq88XdM.png

Said screenshot. The general shape of the canyon is easily seen in this image.

9awQqLK.png

I find handling all of the angles and jumps to be one of the most interesting parts of the drive. It busts boredom to smitherines in any case. Here the rover gets a little bit of "airtime" off a small terrain bump.

DB1GYqv.png

Observant ones of you may have noticed the altitude increasing in every screenshot of today's installment. This is because as we approach the poles, the terrain becomes increasingly higher and dangerously rugged. The drive through the approaching polar region will be by far the most difficult part of the circumnavigation.

h4fcUqe.png

Lefty's Log: Today's drive was probably one of the last smooth ones we will have until we exit the polar region. Progress was rapid and excellent time was made. By the next installment we will have entered the maze of pits and ridges that make up the Mun's polar region. There will be no shortage of excitement, as very few if any people have attempted to drive across the entire North pole. Fingers crossed. :unsure: (No, we're not going to end on that depressed note.) Further up and further in!

Appropriate music in spoiler. (Narnia-Battle Song)

Spoiler

Edited by The Dunatian

• 3 weeks later...

Installment #7 (In spoiler)

"King of the Highlands"

Spoiler

gUamoKZ.png

This is the lunar terrain you always see in cheesy 1970-80s cartoons. Picture perfect craters and ridges.

zRm2Li8.png

Crawling over a ridge at 6,000 meters.  The tall six?

Jow8YTc.png

More beautiful Munar terrain. It's just too perfect.

9HD4k3N.png

Lefty pit-diving. This was actually a very scary situation - plunging towards a dangerously rough bottom at 20 + m/s. We made it though!

4g54ezO.png

This is a semi-circular crater with a mountain at one side. Fairly interesting...

QWTHfUQ.png

Lefty's Log: Today's drive was a battle against nasty terrain. Several ravines were successfully crossed and many a treacherous ridge scaled. We are starting to get up there... Next installment will involve more of the same, only even worse terrain farther north.

I've had Scottish/Celtic highland music in my head all day. Pipes sound great anywhere. :) (music in spoiler)

Spoiler

Installment #8 (In spoiler)

"Shamrock Green"

Spoiler

BhjGaGy.png

Who is ready for St. Patrick's day weekend? Lefty is!

lyszMLU.png

As you approach the poles, the terrain seems to become mostly flat angles. I assume this is caused by the way Unity joins terrain. This "angle terrain" presents the driver with a new set of challenges. In order to avoid a wreck during a jump, you have to carefully orient the rover parallel to the extremely uneven ground while holding your lucky clover...

rNPhqVb.png

The easiest way to approach the pole was a small, shallow canyon resembling a dry river bed. "Angle terrain" was less prevalent here.

giWY1e5.png

Into the polar biome we go!

6xNiDAv.png

After leaving the canyon/riverbed, the terrain became increasingly more steep and rugged. Here Lefty skirts the edge of an incredibly deep crater.

OAtOqQc.png

Today's leg stopped in front of this strangely shaped peak. I'm not sure what it reminds me of.

XKWrboc.png

Lefty's Log: Today we made use of a conveniently placed shallow canyon to progress a great deal northwards. If not for that perpetually jarring "angle terrain" (explanation in episode) the drive would have been almost enjoyable. After passing through the canyon three deep craters were skirted on the way to our final destination. I have found a comfortable spot for the weekend, which is great because the guys at the KSC will be partying for days. None of them have green suits but they are kinda the right color already... In the next installment we will reach the poles and witness a little bit of kraken magic. Stay tuned! :)

I hope you guys have heard this traditional Irish jig before. If not you are in for a real treat! (music in spoiler)

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Installment # 9 (In Spoiler)

"Let it Go"

Spoiler

C9kZYxk.png

I've been gone for a very long time, so I'm sure I've lost my audience. However, I have returned for what will be my final KSP challenge. Here is a beautiful screenshot showing the rover + lunar terrain with kerbin in the background.

rtVRjrU.png

Here is an excellent example of "molar terrain" commonly found near the Mun's north pole. It is generally best to avoid these dangerous ridges.

xL5ufsO.png

I'll just let this screenshot speak for me... (Terrain at the Mun's north pole)

l8o8gxx.png

This is the steepest slope I have yet encountered. So far the rover has had no trouble powering up near vertical slopes in lunar gravity.

0D2v4iD.png

This one screenshot makes the whole trip worthwhile. Isn't she a beauty?

mOqpahO.png

Here it is! The moment you've all been waiting for! The north pole! (Would you look at that terrain glitch! Clearly the devs still have some work to do...)

F5cfol2.png

The pole from another camera angle. It appears to be a mountain with several sides missing! Touching the hole will cause instant carnage.

FRycrAz.png

The rover perches as close as it can get to the pole. Here the "one-sided mountain" is clearly visible.

wnjiSs3.png

This is the kerbnet reading from the north pole. Look at the auto-generated name! Coincidence or easter egg? :)

LT7VYKd.png

Lefty's Log: Today's drive was the roughest and meanest yet in terms of terrain. But hey, we made it! We are finally at the pole and everyone back at the office is celebrating. From here on out driving will become much easier, allowing us to really pick up the pace as we cross the other side of the Mun.

The Dunatian's Dialogue: If you read the episode you may have noticed that I mentioned that this would be my final challenge. This is because after finishing my elcana, I will be leaving KSP, probably forever. Real life has really intensified and I now have less time for KSP than ever before. Don't get me wrong though, I'll still be churning out episodes on a regular basis. But after this I will need to focus more on study and work. There is another event that is precipitating my exit; KSP devs have just released another DLC pack. I have always stayed away from games that create a large gap between "paying player" and those who just play for fun and aren't interested in spending money. This latest DLC does just that. As a result I am highly disinclined towards any further development that will surely enlarge this gap in playstyle. As much as I hate to see it, KSP is becoming a "pay to win" game. That hurts, as I thought it would surely never happen here. Enough talk though. It's music time!

This music is in keeping with the general theme of today's location. We're at the north pole, I've just delivered a melancholy dialogue, and now...

Spoiler

I know, Disney. Still it does fit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.