Coconut express - Sea plane SSTO

Kerbal genetic engineers have come up with a type of coconut that can grow in extremely low light conditions.  They ask for a custom vehicle to carry scientists, passengers, experimental storage bays, etc.  It must be capable of taking off from the sea, and be able to land on non flat terrain.  The coconut growers wish to visit as many shorelines on Laythe as possible.  They would like to be able to takeoff on polar headings and make multiple landings before going to orbit.  

To prove extreme durability and ruggedness it must be able to land on the small island runway and takeoff from the Kerbin sea, with the ability to reach LKO.  

Points awarded for:

• Ability to takeoff from Kerbin sea and reach LKO          +500
  • Ability to land on the small island runway                       +250
  • Visit at Laythe biome, collect a surface sample             +200 each  (must be able to store all samples)
  • Passengers, cabins                      +50 per kerbal
  • Science instruments, coms...     + 100 total  
  • ISRU                                                 + 100  (complete kit)
  • docking ports, RCS                        +100
  • ability to land on Minimus after Kerbin sea takeoff   + 500
  • ability to land on any other moon after Laythe takeoff  +500

Spoiler

dsDsDhK.png28s1jb1.jpg

My current favorite sea plane.  It has ISRU, science, coms, and 3 crew.   It cannot dolphin takeoff because it has no oxidizer but it will lift off form the sea at about 50m/s.  I broke a solar panel by moving through the sea at 3 m/s, but I think there is an RTG.  

Pu63W0X.png

Edited by farmerben

I made this thing a while back. The Trident doesn't quite have everything you're looking for, but here goes:

https://imgur.com/gallery/8ZSZH

Kerbin sea to LKO +500

Laythe surface sample +200

Passengers (6) +300

Science and comms +100

ISRU +100

Minmus landing after Kerbin sea launch +500

moon landing after Laythe launch (Pol, or most low-gravity moons) +500

cargo bay capable of deploying a rover +???

Spoiler

HAFeAEc.png

mCzdofo.png

PFidfxl.png

yF0YQxZ.png

MLnrfqx.png

8EFql2w.png

bK7EXGd.png

DynTnbH.png

On 3/21/2019 at 2:06 AM, farmerben said:

Kerbal genetic engineers have come up with a type of coconut that can grow in extremely low light conditions.  They ask for a custom vehicle to carry scientists, passengers, experimental storage bays, etc.  It must be capable of taking off from the sea, and be able to land on non flat terrain.  The coconut growers wish to visit as many shorelines on Laythe as possible.  They would like to be able to takeoff on polar headings and make multiple landings before going to orbit.  

To prove extreme durability and ruggedness it must be able to land on the small island runway and takeoff from the Kerbin sea, with the ability to reach LKO.  

Points awarded for:

• Ability to takeoff from Kerbin sea and reach LKO          +500
  • Ability to land on the small island runway                       +250
  • Visit at Laythe biome, collect a surface sample             +200 each  (must be able to store all samples)
  • Passengers, cabins                      +50 per kerbal
  • Science instruments, coms...     + 100 total  
  • ISRU                                                 + 100  (complete kit)
  • docking ports, RCS                        +100
  • ability to land on Minimus after Kerbin sea takeoff   + 500
  • ability to land on any other moon after Laythe takeoff  +500

Hide contents

dsDsDhK.png28s1jb1.jpg

My current favorite sea plane.  It has ISRU, science, coms, and 3 crew.   It cannot dolphin takeoff because it has no oxidizer but it will lift off form the sea at about 50m/s.  I broke a solar panel by moving through the sea at 3 m/s, but I think there is an RTG.  

Pu63W0X.png

Are modded parts allowed? I'm considering doing this with part mods used for building my SSTO Sea-Spaceplane.

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

Nice work Sturmhawke!  Making a trimararan Mk3 and getting to with enough dV to go to Minimus is hard.  

Using hyperedit to get to Laythe is OK.  I did it.  If you know the vessel can get there, perhaps with mining on refueling, then it just takes a lot of time to do the spaceflight.

Go ahead and use mods parts, just say what you used.  

The coconut growers have decided that being able to transport a rover would be really nice, but they also want a plane that can land on rough terrain such as the little island runway.  

They would like more photos of the giant trimaran landing on extra large landing gear.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.