Kerbal Catapault

Welcome to the dark ages - The Kerbal Catapult contest.

Using all your cunning, ingenuity and whatever you can find lying by the road, construct a device which can launch a payload which is held in a "cup" on the end of a long arm. To keep a level playing field the payload has been selected for you, one that can't be tampered with; A Kerbal!!

The aim is to achieve the greatest horizontal distance. You can use what ever parts except for custom home made parts. The Kerbal must be thrown by the movement of the arm, not directly propelled by rockets. However using rockets to move the arm is definitely allowed.

Here is one I did as proof of concept, it has a max range of 363.4m

bqRTtl.jpg

There is a vid of it too

There are several categories for the challenge.

Beginner:

Catapult can be secured to the ground using launch clamps.

Intermediate:

Catapult must be free standing/moveable.

Advanced:

Catapult must be moved and aimed so that the payload hits one of the buildings at the space centre (while still attempting to achieve greatest distance).

The 4th category can be combined with any of the other three;

MedievalGenius;

The catapult fires using only potential energy, no rockets/thrusters/(things that would scare medieval folk).

The range is the value shown on screen of the distance to the catapult when viewed from the payload. If you bounce then the distance taken is first contact with the ground after launch. To enter you need to submit a video from launch to landing (I think it would be easy to cheat otherwise).

There are also some optional achievements:

1) Catapult (excluding launch arm) remains intack after launch

2) Catapult can fire twice or fire 'double barrel'

3) Catapult can be reloaded and fire a second time (with same launch arm).

4) Semi-automatic Catapult. Can be reloaded several times from a 'magazine' (can use any payload for this)

And some milestones to try and defeat (apologies if all are impossible);

1st milestone is to manage to throw a Kerbal down the entire length of the runway.

2nd milestone is to (from same start point) get a Kerbal out to sea.

3rd (probably impossible) milestone is to throw your Kerbal to the next continent.

4th (just plain stupid, but we must not forget the space race) Catapult a Kerbal into orbit.

(this is the first challenge I've done, if you think I should do something differently then holla at me)

(I originally thought I was doing a Trebuchet contest. I now stand corrected, this is a catapult contest, but Trebuchets can enter)

Current High Scores (- range - [achievements] - name)

Beginner

- 363.4 - [1] - Katateochi

Intermediate

Advanced

Edited by katateochi

Yes def Damned Robotics, can't be without that mod! Probodobodyne Construction Kit also very useful for its strut part.

Should I say how I made my hinge? I'll give you a vague clue; It's not a hinge and its not attached straight, space breaks it.

radial decoupler with short strut set at an angle.

• 1 year later...