[video] Kerbals go Clubbing (nightclub, now with rockets)

katateochi

I've been making a shuttle to get the punters out there. Had a couple ideas, I've gone for the extra insane one which solves one problem at the cost of everything else.

If you build a rocket with a bunch of crew tanks it gonna be pretty big and the crew tanks and command pod will most likely be right up at the top. You either have to one by one make 15 kerbals climb all the way up or make some kind of lift (I guess you could change the persistence file but I'm trying not to go there unless to get round a game glitch). I've done a lift before, so something more interesting.....

My one design criteria was the crew tanks must be at the bottom of the rocket. This has led to my most ridiculous rocket ever. The rocket is built upside down, all its engines and main boosters point straight up as it sits on the launch pad. A whole load of smaller boosters point the right way.

UqI2cl.jpg

UqI2c.jpg

It launches on the small boosters to a mere 400m and then turns around, falling almost all the way back to the ground before the main engines kick in. From the games point of view the rocket is now upside down so using mechjeb is right out. In continues on like this until it starts to circularise, then drops another set of engines and turns round once more. It now is the right way up and actually looks kinda more like a rocket at this point as it heads to Mun.

I just need to load 15 kerbs in and fly it there.

btw, what does a kerbal weigh? Does having some in a crew tank change its weight? I guess I'll find out (in which case this "shuttle" is too finely/insanely balanced, can't add a gram more to it or take one booster off.)

ClubMun is now fully operational!! I've made a vid of the party and the two flights out there.

It went in a different direction when I stumbled onto an artist on SoundCloud yesterday. I was just looking for a track to go over some kerbs dancing and a more explanatory vid of the two missions to Mun (my geek had gotten loose). I found two tracks that are sublime (I think anyway) and seem to have been made for this, so I've done a totally different style vid in the end.

This is not just about the Kerbals, this is about the music too. Turn up your speakers and just chill. I hope you enjoy.

I wonder why NASA never used that "invert the ship 100 feet over the launchpad" technique?

I was very amused that you got those two improbable ships to Mun, and then 2 of the kerbals missed hopping onto the dance floor. :)

When you started bouncing the kerbals around on the platform, it gave me an idea. What if your next nightclub was an orbital/zero-G club? You know how some people have made ships that are hollow boxes? Why not put a light rack inside and start rolling the ship around. Think of the possibilities for kerbal bouncing!

(I've forgotten how to make kerbals run. What key is that?)

I wonder why NASA never used that "invert the ship 100 feet over the launchpad" technique?

I was very amused that you got those two improbable ships to Mun, and then 2 of the kerbals missed hopping onto the dance floor. :)

When you started bouncing the kerbals around on the platform, it gave me an idea. What if your next nightclub was an orbital/zero-G club? You know how some people have made ships that are hollow boxes? Why not put a light rack inside and start rolling the ship around. Think of the possibilities for kerbal bouncing!

(I've forgotten how to make kerbals run. What key is that?)

I know right :P It's cos they'd been drinking on the flight over. Was hoping that on Mun I could get away with more Kerbals before lag set in, but still after about 8-10 it slows down a lot. I had 15 in the "shuttle", didn't take them all out. As an added bonus I now have a small platoon stationed on Mun, I think I'm going to start a small town there.

I guess NASA is just to scared!! Though to be fair, I thought Curiosity's landing was pretty ballsy.

Next Club!! No, just no. Although your idea is a good one! I'm going back to the project that this side tracked me from!

Main rocket holds two, 1-man rockets that are launched in orbit. The idea is that Jeb sits in the mother ship and sends Bob to Mun and Bill to Minus. They can then all rendezvous back with the mother ship and then all land back home.

Rendezvous is tricky with current mechjeb (waiting for 1.9.2) but its easier in smaller orbits so I'm going to use it to do a crew exchange and pick Jeb, Bob and Bill up from the Club and drop of a new crew. The mothership can wait in Mun orbit while the two sub-rockets act as shuttles.

LAJlcl.jpg

j0Qlvl.jpg

EGkknl.jpg

Inside shot showing one of the sub rockets

zW3g0l.jpg

Mother ship has an interior with fuel, remote-tech antennas and parachutes, its pretty cramped!

Rhi9jl.jpg

vYPqxl.jpg

Eft7al.jpg

Holy crap that was epic (had to avoid cussing there because of the forum rules, it's that awesome).

Awesome music choice as well =D

I've added a link to the artist (Syntex) on soundcloud in the initial post.

Could we maybe get the craft files plus the mods. I laughed:D

The Club - https://github.com/downloads/Sujimichi/ObjectsInKerbalSpace/ClubMun.craft

Other than being laggy in launch it flies surprising well and is very easy to land (has parachutes if you want to land on Kerbin)

The only real querk is in the fuel. The upper engines should take fuel first from the large lower tank and then the smaller lower tank before using their own fuel. For some reason not all the pipes initialise correctly sometimes which results in one of the 4 upper engines using its own fuel during launch and then being unbalanced later on. Solution is very last thing you do in the editor is disconnect and re-connect the fuel lines.

Best launch is to engage first stage, on low power (remains in clamps) and then let mechjeb take over. I have had mechjeb's over powerful launching rip its head off before!

The SS Frac-to-Bunt

erm, sure, here's the craft file - https://github.com/downloads/Sujimichi/ObjectsInKerbalSpace/SS%20Frac-to-Bunt.craft

good luck!!!

obviously the first hurdle is the first flip. After that you need to get it going straight up again and leave gravity turning very late. The final stage has pretty weak engines so it needs to be taken as high has possible before the 2nd flip or you will come back down again. It also is on a hairline balance for fuel, so you can mess up the accent out of Kerbin and not notice it till you make a 15 Kerbal crater on Mun.

It not mechjeb friendly either!! using mechjeb at anypoint before the 2nd flip will just fly you straight into the ground.

It is now my fav way of getting a crew to Mun or just up into orbit!!

The mods used are; Aviation light pack, DamnedRobotics, C7 flightpack, MMI, Probodobodyne Construction Kit, Deep Space Mission pack.

I think that is it. Let me know if it doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

awesome :D

I had an idea like that, but it was a bunch of structural pylons and then they decouple into a top-open box made of the wing connectors and so it would be like "Kerbal PylonPit Jumpstation", but when I tried decoupling the pylons, they all exploded :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.