[WIP] Landing gears

vrga

This mod will never be updated, nor will there be downloads. Thank you all for looking at it :)

Hello folks, i'm a bit of a newbie here on the forums and in general to KSP modding, but, motivated by lack of landing gears of decent ground clearance, i embarked on an effort to create new, bigger ones. With OPTIONS! :D

This is just the first model, i've gotten it ingame currently, but i have no idea what do i have to set up in unity to get it to lower/raise gears or to even spin as wheels do.

Also, as a side-joy, i get the lovely message of: "WheelCollider requires an attached Rigidbody to function." from the output_log.txt, when the game is loading the model. It might just be me having the utterly wrong hierarchy for what is actually needed.

Any input you folks could give me on this front would be greatly appreciated.

Some of you've probably seen pecenipicek on IRC posting pictures/vids to this, and that is my other nickname.

Now, as for future plans go, here's what Hyratel had to say as good options for future landing gears, all of which i plan to create relatively soon:

• Fixed landing gears
  • Gears that end up flush with the fuselage/part where they are attached when raised
  • Tail landing skid
  • Fat landing wheels

Granted, this is will all probably be modelled and textured before i manage to figure out how to make them proper gears in-game.

The model weighs in at 956 triangles and the source texture are made in 20482

In any case, cheers and i can barely wait for your comments, folks :)

Edited by vrga

C7 has a tutorial video where he demonstrates how to get an animated model into Unity PartTools: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/11114-C7-Tutorials

Please re-read my post another few times before you start understanding what i actually wrote there, because your post tells me you have barely skimmed it.

@dishycourier and quadro7f, thanks :)

Edited by vrga

• 4 weeks later...

Download! Now!

As a suggestion for future projects, could you possibly make a landing gear that's several large wheels that don't come far out of the bay, but provide a good amount of balance? Something like the C-130's landing gear.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34590[/ATTACH]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.