Why is my LKO base breaking?

Hi all, wonder if anyone can help.

I've made a MASSIVE LKO refuelling base (it's almost the size of the SPH), and I've found that once it's in orbit, some of the components seem to break, but stay connected. Is there any way to stop this happening?

A few points that may provide clues..

I have everything strutted to 'grandparent part'.

Everything has 'rigid attachment' set to on.

I had to cheat it into orbit, using the F12 menu.

I installed the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod to stop everything wobbling and collapsing when on the runway.

I got some advice to switch off Rigid attachment, which I did, and relaunched, but the problem persists. I Cheated the new version to orbit with the 'visualise autostruts' setting on and all was well.

However, I switched to another vessel in LKO, then switched back, and again the breakages appeared as soon as I switched back.What's also weird is that when I switched back, half of the autostruts seem to have disappeared.

Can anyone advise how to get over this issue? Thanks to anyone who can help... It's taken HOURS to construct this station and I don't want it to go to waste!

Edited by Traffodil
typo

I think the problem is that you're using rigid attachment and autostrut too much and KJR on top of that. It's a common mistake -- rigid attachment and autostrut solve certain problems so beautifully that you just start using them everywhere, and then you end up where you are now.

Unfortunately there is no simple solution for this, the only way to go is to slowly construct something that's structurally sound, applying autostrut and rigid attachment only where they're needed -- and the occasional regular strut too. Making very big things in KSP is not always easy. (Real life too for that matter.)

My approach is to build everything without either of them, and then apply them at the end to fix bits that are too wobbly (unless I'm building something I'm so familiar with that I already know what to autostrut where). 

15 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

I think the problem is that you're using rigid attachment and autostrut too much and KJR on top of that. It's a common mistake -- rigid attachment and autostrut solve certain problems so beautifully that you just start using them everywhere, and then you end up where you are now.

Unfortunately there is no simple solution for this, the only way to go is to slowly construct something that's structurally sound, applying autostrut and rigid attachment only where they're needed -- and the occasional regular strut too. Making very big things in KSP is not always easy. (Real life too for that matter.)

My approach is to build everything without either of them, and then apply them at the end to fix bits that are too wobbly (unless I'm building something I'm so familiar with that I already know what to autostrut where). 

Looking good so far! I went through the (laborious) process of un-autostrutting 775 pieces but kept the KJR mod installed. I've been able to switch vessels, and it has stayed intact! Also managed to dock an SSTO with no ill effects.

Alpha Crew are now on board. Lights are on. Solar panels, radiators and comms. all deployed. So far so good. Thanks for the tips man!

Edited by Traffodil
typo

KJR caused much more wobbly disruption than it prevented in my (limited) experience. Maybe it was useful in earlier versions but I wouldn't recommend it anymore. I only autostrut launch vehicles across docking ports and side boosters. It helps much more to figure out where your station mass is concentrated and not to put heavy tanks far out to the sides, connected by normal docking ports. Such constructions always begin to swing and detach.

I built (and launched :) this massive 5kt fuel bunker built from 3x3x2x S4-512 tanks, interconnected by large docking ports. It doesn't have autostruts and is very stable even if very laggy. Time doesn't move fast within its spacetime bubble:

Spoiler

56hyfSs.jpg

After I installed KJR, the station suddenly would begin to wobble itself apart and explode into a cloud of debris every time I approached it and came within physics range. I guess KJR doesn't deal well with all the docked connections. It's not a nice part tree.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.