How to Rendezvous and Dock

DRAG0Nmon

When I first started playing KSP, I really wanted to build a space station. I spent probably an hour looking for a good tutorial, but never found one. I eventually used a combination of real life examples and common sense to eventually get it. Now I want to spare people the pain I felt. So, here is how to rendezvous.

Tip- try to use normal docking ports, and refrain from using the seniors and juniors unless you really want or need to.

Step 1: Get a ship you want to dock with into circular orbit. I usually aim for 125 to 135 kilometers. I would make sure this ship has a probe core that can focus on target with SAS or a pilot that can, because it makes docking easier. 

Step 2: Get the ship you want to dock with your craft in step one into a lower orbit that craft 1. I try to make the orbit around 20 kilometers lower. This ship must have RCS fuel and thrusters to dock with craft 1. 

Step 3: Now you should have craft 2 in a lower orbit than craft 1. Then you need to click on craft 1 and set it as your target. Now you should see 2 new markers, labeled Ascending Node and Descending Node. These tell you how far off your inclination is from your target. Make a manuever node at either of the 2 and pull normal (at descending node) or anti-normal (at ascending node) until the number it shows is 0, 0.1, or -0.1.

Step 4: Now you need to make a manuever node and pull prograde until you see an intersect marker. These tell you how far you will be from your target at your closest approach. Drag the manuever node around your orbit until it is the closest . If your separation is less than 9 kilometers, then you can go right to Step 5. If not, then right click the node, and press the add orbit button until your closest approach is much closer. Then drag it around some more until your separation is less that 9 kilometers. Then wait and excecute the burn.

Step 5: Now set your navball setting from orbital to target if it isn't already. Then when you are at or near your closest approach, you need to, with your main engine and not RCS, burn retrograde until your relative speed is 0. The focus SAS on target, and burn, while keeping an eye on your closest approach in the orbital map. Stop burning when the closest approach stops getting shorter. Then, kill your relative speed, burn to target, and repeat until your closest approach is 0.3-0.0. Now, you don't need the orbital map. 

Step 6: Now when you are within 300 meters, kill speed relative to your target and ditch the main engine, switching to RCS. It's a good idea to quick save before doing this. Then burn to your target, and come to a stop when you can highlight parts on your target when mousing over them. Right-click the docking port you wish to dock with, and burn towards it until about 25 meters away. 

Step 7: Now, you should be stopped around 25 meters from the target. Now right-click the docking port you want to connect with your target, and click control from here. Make sure your SAS is set to target. Then switch to the target craft using [ or ], set the target craft to be facing the docking port you wish to use on your other craft, and make sure you are controlling from your targeted docking port. Now both docking ports should be lined up. Using craft 2, press H and accelerate towards your target at a very slow speed, making sure your prograde is staying on the target marker. I recommend quicksaving at this moment, especially when using senior docking ports, as they repel away from the target if the connection is not perfect. Now slowly drift towards your target until you are docked! Now you can eat a celebratory cookie and admire your work!

I hope this guide is helpful! Sorry if it is WAY too long, I tried to make it as detailed as possible. Happy flying!

• 1 month later...

That old illustrated guide is brilliant, wish I'd have back then when I painfully learned how to dock, how to use the navball.

Maybe a moderator can bring that old post back and make it sticky?

Or even better, maybe you, @DRAG0Nmon  find the time and energy to integrate that old guide into yours? Yours is fine, no doubt, but adding the images would make it even better.

Edited by VoidSquid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.