[1.7.3] Engine sounds not fading away with distance.

I recently made a fresh install of latest version of KSP available on GOG, with both dlc's.

I noticed that engine sounds do not fade away when i move the camera away, even at max range. Initially i thought it was mod issue, but after some checking, even a clean install (with removing all left over files etc), still has the issue present. To say more, when i put mods back in, modded engines, like prop engines from AP+ mod, have their sound fade away correctly.
I also tried fresh install of 1.7.2, and the issue was there aswell.

Any ideas how to fix this? Or is it maybe a general bug?

edit: it seems air breathing engines are the only affected, rockets and atomic engine seem to fade with distance properly

Edited by Vladokapuh
updated

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any luck with fixing this? I've noticed this issue myself recently,  seems to occur with jet engines but once the issue triggers, it seems to effects all engines, even when tested with modded ones. So if i test a rocket engine before hand, it'll fade normally but as soon as I test a jet engine, the issue occurs for all engines. Hardly game breaking but still takes out of the immersion a little.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, DrKoz said:

I've noticed this, but only when I have realplume mod installed, could it be realplume related for you as well?

Unfortunately no, i deleted all my mods and did a clean install for 1.8 since it broke a lot of mods, I'll just have to wait for them to be updated. I was still getting the issue unfortunately, hopefully not just me though?

14 hours ago, Sleepy068 said:

Unfortunately no, i deleted all my mods and did a clean install for 1.8 since it broke a lot of mods, I'll just have to wait for them to be updated. I was still getting the issue unfortunately, hopefully not just me though?

ah, I think I figured out our difference.  The vanilla bug is with air breathing engines only (right? is that what you mean?  I've confirmed that with 1.8 just now), while with realplume you get the same problem with other rocket engines...  Maybe the realplume symptom could help figure out the root cause of the vanilla bug, for some smart programmer (not me)?

On 10/19/2019 at 1:58 AM, DrKoz said:

ah, I think I figured out our difference.  The vanilla bug is with air breathing engines only (right? is that what you mean?  I've confirmed that with 1.8 just now), while with realplume you get the same problem with other rocket engines...  Maybe the realplume symptom could help figure out the root cause of the vanilla bug, for some smart programmer (not me)?

I just did some further testing and you are spot on but I've found and retested again, that once the bug is triggered from an air breathing engine for me, it seems to effect all engines, even rockets. So if i avoid air breathing engines I'm good but as soon as I've used one the game will be haunted by the issue.  Definitely not a bad idea if realplume is making the issue worse, might be a good focus point.

EDIT 15/02/20

The bug has been fixed in 1.9.0

Edited by Sleepy068
Didn't want to rez an old post so edited.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.