[HELP] Micro Rover

pikmin2faner, I'm off today and had nothing more exciting to do, so here you go. http://www./?8fkuc60dbo6orb4 I set it up the way I land my own rovers.

Instructions: The bottom stage gets you most of the way to orbit, then the next stage completes orbit and gets you to Mun orbit. It's got more fuel than it needs, in case you want to land at higher lattitudes. When you've got the orbital plane you want, eject it and descend on the third engine stage. Just before touching down, use the engine to bring your vertical speed to zero, then descend on the final stage, which is on top of the rover, and acts like an RCS parachute to bring you down on your tail.

AW9PS.jpg

You can also use that ring of RCS thrusters to turn it over if you don't land upright. Anyway, once on the wheels, eject the final stage,

YeTZe.jpg

and you're back to your original rover. Well, almost your original model. I added a nosewheel to keep it from tipping over, 2 more RCS thrusters in the back for additional speed, and removed a couple of struts that were kind of in the way of the lower stages. Anyway, I tested it and landed it on Mun 3 times, so you should be good to go.

7nKXp.png

Cautions: 1) The rocket rolls strongly on launch. They do that sometimes, but it's okay as long as your nose is still pointed in the right direction. 2) If you move any components, the staging goes batpoop crazy and parts may end up in the wrong stage. That also just happens sometimes. 3) You may find that the landing RCS draws on the rover tanks because of this, and I'm afraid there's not a lot I can do about that. If you're feeling brave, remove that stage, click to set it aside in the VAB, then pick it up again and put it back in the right place. That may fix the order of the RCS tanks, but might also screw up the rest of the staging (see #2). 4) It tends to skid around like it's on ice, which I think is just because of the wheels (I use the cart mod for my rovers). Anyway, be sure to quick save a lot, because it's hard to turn over again if it flips.

Anyway, try it out and let me know how it goes.

Edited by Vanamonde

pikmin2faner, I'm off today and had nothing more exciting to do, so here you go. http://www./?8fkuc60dbo6orb4 I set it up the way I land my own rovers.

Instructions: The bottom stage gets you most of the way to orbit, then the next stage completes orbit and gets you to Mun orbit. It's got more fuel than it needs, in case you want to land at higher lattitudes. When you've got the orbital plane you want, eject it and descend on the third engine stage. Just before touching down, use the engine to bring your vertical speed to zero, then descend on the final stage, which is on top of the rover, and acts like an RCS parachute to bring you down on your tail.

AW9PS.jpg

You can also use that ring of RCS thrusters to turn it over if you don't land upright. Anyway, once on the wheels, eject the final stage,

YeTZe.jpg

and you're back to your original rover. Well, almost your original model. I added a nosewheel to keep it from tipping over, 2 more RCS thrusters in the back for additional speed, and removed a couple of struts that were kind of in the way of the lower stages. Anyway, I tested it and landed it on Mun 3 times, so you should be good to go.

7nKXp.png

Cautions: 1) The rocket rolls strongly on launch. They do that sometimes, but it's okay as long as your nose is still pointed in the right direction. 2) If you move any components, the staging goes batpoop crazy and parts may end up in the wrong stage. That also just happens sometimes. 3) You may find that the landing RCS draws on the rover tanks because of this, and I'm afraid there's not a lot I can do about that. If you're feeling brave, remove that stage, click to set it aside in the VAB, then pick it up again and put it back in the right place. That may fix the order of the RCS tanks, but might also screw up the rest of the staging (see #2). 4) It tends to skid around like it's on ice, which I think is just because of the wheels (I use the cart mod for my rovers). Anyway, be sure to quick save a lot, because it's hard to turn over again if it flips.

Anyway, try it out and let me know how it goes.

Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted! :)

EDIT: It was very efficient I must say, but I just could not land in my mun base crater :(

Edited by pikmin2faner

I just could not land in my mun base crater :(
The middle engine stage should have enough fuel to put your orbit over just about any point on Mun, except maybe the poles, and go most of the way toward killing your horizontal speed, and then the third stage should be able to stop the rest of the way and slow your descent enough for a soft landing. Try getting about 1/8th of an orbit ahead of your objective, then brake while watching the map view. Keep your projected impact point a little beyond the place you actually want to land until you're down to the last few hundred meters (because it's easier and more fuel-efficient to slow down than to speed up again while controlling a descent), then steer directly toward the prograde marker to bring yourself to a horizontally stationary landing.

If you're trying to land near something else you've already landed, move the camera until you're looking past the current ship at the target at a 45 degree angle. Then it's quite easy to see any drift to the sides or vertically. Steer toward the objective laterally, throttle up if you're coming too low, throttle down if too high. (Be careful not to bomb the previous ship with the ejected engine stage, though. :) )

I just tried it again, and the middle stage is a bit less efficient than I thought. It's hard not to unintentionally exploit the fuel bug. But the third stage should still have enough extra capacity to land where you want.

Edited by Vanamonde

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.