A Room In Space

Kmschr

A ROOM IN SPACE!

vyLYE.png

Rules:

1. Get a room in orbit.

2. The room may only consist of stock parts.

3. Make sure theres a door to the room.

4. The orbit must be above 100km.

5. Submit a screen shot or video showing the craft before launch, launch, gravity turn, orbit of craft, then eva inside the room.

6. The room must be big enough for a kerbal to walk around in.

LEADERBOARD (Ranked on size of room in orbit)

1.Martonaut

2.Samiamthelaw (credit goes to iplop for room, sam got it into orbit.)

3.Bsalis

Edited by Kmschr

Minor comments. First, there have already been two stock helicopter challenges (eg http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/19427-Igor-Sikorsky-Prize-Stock-Helicopter-Challenge). Your presentation of the challenge is actually much better though. Second, nothing in your rules says it has to rotate or anything; almost all planes would be permissible under your rules. You might want to fix that.

Not trying to scare you away, just people generally like to not see the same challenge reposted once a month!

Welcome to the forums!

Here's a rather large cube I made if anyone wants to try to get it into orbit:

Outside:

54eFf.jpg

Inside:

RGQod.jpg

On launchpad for scale:

87IMK.jpg

File:[ATTACH]32701[/ATTACH]

I give up. :/

Feel free give it a try!

Cool box, but very very hard to fly. I made it into orbit and took a few screenshots. Since the box had no door, I took one with clipping to show Kerbin below and another from outside (fast-forward lets you exit/enter the box). Sorry about the altimeter, it spun out due to lag.

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro1_1280.png

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro2_1280.png

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro3_1280.png

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro4_1280.png

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro5_1280.png

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro6_1280.png

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro7_1280.png

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro8_1280.png

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro9_1280.png

Cool box, but very very hard to fly. I made it into orbit and took a few screenshots. Since the box had no door, I took one with clipping to show Kerbin below and another from outside (fast-forward lets you exit/enter the box). Sorry about the altimeter, it spun out due to lag.

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro1_1280.png

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro2_1280.png

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro3_1280.png

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro4_1280.png

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro5_1280.png

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro6_1280.png

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro7_1280.png

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro8_1280.png

tumblr_ma399lQhmt1rg70xro9_1280.png

Congrats on getting that thing to orbit! I was completely unable to control it faster than 175m/s. ;D

Orbiting that was easily 99% of the work. Making the cube only took a few minutes.

Try to remake it with only stock! looks really cool btw

Both the cube I made(DL the file and see for yourself) and his rocket appear to be stock.

Edit: ah, my bad. ;D

Edited by iplop

Congrats on getting that thing to orbit! I was completely unable to control it faster than 175m/s. ;D

Orbiting that was easily 99% of the work. Making the cube only took a few minutes.

A whole bunch of my attempts exploded on the pad. A bunch more started flopping about at ~3km up. I started out with rockets below, then rockets above (pulling the box). It seems that symmetrical rockets along the outside are all you need to counteract the weird drag/lift tendencies created by a big mass of wings. My rocket was stock ... when I get another chance, I think I'll build a house-shaped box and put it in a comfy orbit.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.