Reliable FTL Kraken-based propulsion

I posted this question on Reddit a few minutes ago, but to expand the exposure of this question, I'll take it here:

I've achieved 50km/s with an ion probe that uses the Oberth effect very close to Kerbol, and now I want to try using glitches to get to extreme velocities, and I want a reliable method to achieve this. Got advice?

1 hour ago, Fierce Wolf said:

Try the Free Pivot button from the Klaw, attached to something you want to launch very very, and i mean VERY FAST. Results may vary!

How does that launch something quickly? Do I need lots of reaction wheels? Do you have a video of a klaw launching something close to or over the speed of light?

14 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

How does that launch something quickly? Do I need lots of reaction wheels? Do you have a video of a klaw launching something close to or over the speed of light?

1) build a vessel with a klaw on front, put it in orbit. Nothing else needed.

2) Grab something floating around, a capsule for example.

3) Press Free Pivot.

4) Relax.

5) The something shoots out at relativistic speeds.

6 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Or you may try looking at Danny 2462's youtube video.

Which one? Most of his new videos are old footage from earlier KSP versions, before they got sick.

Or, try staging ion engines. This is very kerbal, but not kraken.

Already done, max speed is 50km/s. The burns are pushing my patience and I want to use something other than rockets fro once.

Good, reliable kraken drives are rare, and they will cause other glitches.

Warnings schmwarnings, we need 'dangerous' Kerbal advice here, not safe human advice!

3 hours ago, Fierce Wolf said:

1) build a vessel with a klaw on front, put it in orbit. Nothing else needed.

2) Grab something floating around, a capsule for example.

3) Press Free Pivot.

4) Relax.

5) The something shoots out at relativistic speeds.

Are you sure this will work? Edit: Did not work

Edited by Bej Kerman

I have been toying around with the Kraken Drive Mk20 (Steam Workshop file,  unfortunately, but the basics should be clear from the screenshot).

It uses landing gear pushing down onto a separate craft-part (not tested with the new "same vessel interaction" option). Unstoppable force meeting an unmoveable, indestructible object.

Edited by HansAcker

There's a large section of the 'Battery-Less Movement Thread' devoted to K Drives. The best way is to get a pair of landing legs or wheels and align them so that when extended they clip into the craft. Then you turn on Same Vessel Interaction. Results may vary, but the best and most controllable way to do this is to make a manoeuvrer node and pulse the K Drive until you're on target. I got to Eve in a week once.

K Drives are very uncontrollable, especially outside atmospheres, so I would not use them in atmosphere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.