62.5cm rocket to Eeloo and back

EveMaster

For this mission I tested what is possible with a rocket build out of a single stack of 62.5cm parts. For the lower stage I originally planned to use one of the new boosters. But I needed more thrust. So I used 7 "Twitch engines" on the lower stage instead. That is the maximum you can fit on a 62.5 part without excessive clipping or exceeding the width of the part. For the second stage I used a spark engine

The upper stage has an ion engine. I tested to find out the minimumg number of batteries for a descent at Eeloo. It turned out the most efficient landing for this craft on Eeloo is a constant altitude landing and not a retrograde suicide burn. As an energy source I used an RTG because around Eeloo there is not much solar radiation.

On top of the rocket is just an external command seat. A Kerbal in a command seat is very un-aerodynamic. But I did neither want to add a nose cone that is not visually connected with the rest of the craft nor clip parts through the space where the kerbal sits.

The amount of delta-V in the ion stage would allow even more landings if more gravity assist were used.

1ClqrUe.jpg

Mission report: https://imgur.com/gallery/wPaSwcX

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/EveMaster/625cm-Diameter-Rocket-to-Eeelo

10 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Now that’s impressive :o

How long did Jeb have to sit in that command chair though?

42 years in total. He arrived on Eeloo after 6years and 134 days. But the way back took longer, mainly because of the waiting time for a transfer window to Jool.

On 11/7/2019 at 3:28 PM, EveMaster said:

42 years in total. He arrived on Eeloo after 6years and 134 days. But the way back took longer, mainly because of the waiting time for a transfer window to Jool.

Jeez. Kerbals don't get old. XD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.